Hello from Birmingham

Mimi1199

Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself here. My name's Michelle and I've been reading through some of the forums and topics, and really have enjoyed it.

I've wanted to become an EMT for some time now, but due to it never being 'the right time', I've always put it off. Not anymore though. My kids are a little older and I've decided

to follow my dream and do for me, finally. Am hoping to start classes this fall and join the ranks of ones I've looked up to my entire life. Would love any advice you have to offer

when it comes to everything from school to the actual job. :)

Also, I have done some looking around at different links for books, and was wondering if there's anything you would recommend reading and looking through before I actually start my schooling. I'd like to get a head start on the whole program so I don't feel completely lost. Though I know I'll still get to that point at times. lol

Hey Michelle, Welcome to the City! And to EMS....

You say that you're going to start classes. Is that at the community college? Please tell me you're not looking to volunteer as a hosemonkey?

Do you have an educational background? What is it? How about your personal background. Knowing it isn't our business of course but might help to direct you to a more appropriate level of study material.

This is the best place to start really. Participate here. Start threads with questions, research and answer other people's questions when appropriate.

Also, "Study, study, & study. Be open minded and humble. Ask questions but subtle on the questions. Listen to others. Study group sessions. Research for answers. Have fun. Be confident but not cocky. Good luck..." type advice is like the fortune teller saying, "Ohhhhhh.....I see here that you have a good heart...you are a kind person and others turn to you for advice, right?" Just so completely generic as to be useless. EMS lesson number one. Build a no bullshit zone. Learn to look at yourself honestly and everything else critically...and don't thank folks simply for speaking...make sure that they have said something first...(unless they're old..in which case you should probably be nice to them no matter what.)

Anatomy and physiology is a good topic to know before class, but can be terrible hard to learn on your own..are you willing to take any summer classes?

But truly, this is a good place to learn to assert yourself, test your theories, but you must, must, must participate. I'll be able to explain more about those types of lessons later in this thread.

Have a great day...good to have you!

Dwayne

Also, "Study, study, & study. Be open minded and humble. Ask questions but subtle on the questions. Listen to others. Study group sessions. Research for answers. Have fun. Be confident but not cocky. Good luck..." type advice is like the fortune teller saying, "Ohhhhhh.....I see here that you have a good heart...you are a kind person and others turn to you for advice, right?" Just so completely generic as to be useless.

Subliminal, nice work...

Thank you very much for the advice! :-)

Your welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.