10-8

chappy

Mike, it's hard to say something like, "In no place..." unless you have been to every place. ;)

It is not difficult to make a statement like that when you qualify the statement as I have done repeatedly in this discussion. If you were paying attention I mentioned several times "...in no place that I've worked...". It is not all encompassing. It is not all inclusive. It is limited to the areas in which I have experience.

And seriously? Are you seriously going to make this charge? You made the statement, "Everywhere I have ever known of...". Are you stating you've been to every place you've ever known of? I highly doubt it. At least I made a point to limit my point to places with which I have direct, first hand knowledge and experience.

This brings us back to my original point that ten codes are no longer used for a reason. While for you it means you're back in service to me it can mean anything from you're sitting in the stall with whatever issue of Playboy the crew before you left to getting lunch to anything in between.

Edited by paramedicmike

This brings us back to my original point that ten codes are no longer used for a reason. While for you it means you're back in service to me it can mean anything from you're sitting in the stall with whatever issue of Playboy the crew before you left to getting lunch to anything in between.

You're right. 10-8 is too broad. It could mean: time, a date, a symbological code, numerical factor, an abbreviation of some sort, and many other things. It's too subjective. So, in your experience; 10-8 can mean, moving bowels and glancing at a Playboy? Since, most men or women do not read Playboy for the articles; there's not much reading, other than the measurements and the name. Maybe not the name (there, my use of semicolons are in the right places). Of course this is all conjecture (I am closing my posts with this because apparently we have to site and quote our statements. Also, someone(s) didn't like me ending off with, good luck and all the best).

sitting in the stall with whatever issue of Playboy the crew before you left to getting lunch to anything in between.

What's in between? Sounds like a fun place, where you've worked.

He's only right for his area. As I mentioned, every place I've ever worked over several states and geographical regions has had a different meaning for the specific code in question. In one place 10-8 was code for a bathroom break at the local convenience store. In no place has it ever meant "back in service".

Mike, you said it, but really, what does it matter? Where I worked, and every EMS, fire and police department I worked with in SC used 10-8 as back in service. Big deal, calm down and lets move on. It was intended to be a light-hearted way of saying, "I'm coming back." It certainly was not supposed to incite some drama-filled debate.

Mike, you said it, but really, what does it matter? Where I worked, and every EMS, fire and police department I worked with in SC used 10-8 as back in service. Big deal, calm down and lets move on. It was intended to be a light-hearted way of saying, "I'm coming back." It certainly was not supposed to incite some drama-filled debate.

No drama filled debate. No being upset at anything. This is a discussion forum, isn't it? People generally discuss various topics on a discussion forum, no? If you want drama, though, I'm sure we can whip something up.

And for the record, you were taking one sentence in my post completely out of context. You ignored the lead in to that one sentence which put the statement you chose to pay attention to in context.

Moving on...

Chappy, first off, Welcome Aboard!

I will now simultaneously agree and disagree with my EMT City buddies, in that numerous agencies still use 10-Codes. I have heard FDNY unit lieutenants, captains, and all levels of chiefs, as well as FDNY EMS supervisors of all ranks, indicate "available from the previous call and resuming patrol", by saying "10-8,10-10"

APCO, which I believe is the Association of Professional Communications Officers (someone help me out, here?) prefer the ease, and speed, of 10-codes, but are in agreement when going "inter-op", where several agencies, EMS, FD, LEO (Law Enforcement Officers) and others share a common radio frequency, "for the common good", to go to "plain talk", so all can understand what is going on.

There used to be a bad joke from the Vietnam era, why so may soldiers from the lower socioeconomic communities ended up as casualties. The seasoned men would hear incoming mortar rounds, and yell, "Get DOWN", and the newer or inexperienced guys would get up and start dancing! "Get down" was a phrase to start partying, back in "the world".

True story: A New York City radio station's traffic helicopter suffered a catastrophic mechanical breakdown, and crashed into the Hudson River, ultimately resulting in the death of one of the 2 on board. FDNY Rescue Company 3 actually eyeballed the crash happening, and had their divers in the water less than 3 minutes later. 7 or so minutes later, NYPD Emergency Services units, including Police divers, arrived on the scene, and tried ordering the FDNY divers out of the water.

After the event, when the Mayor ordered an investigation as to why this "Battle of the Badges" had happened, the senior NYPD supervisor from the scene said, they didn't speak "Fire-ese", only "Police-ese", and didn't want any confusion. My letter to the newspapers complained that, as all were divers, they had a "common language" to go to: "Diver-ese".

Now, as you (Chappy) have mentioned you left the field for a long time, where, and when, were you previously active in the EMS System? I'll also mention I've been involved from 1973, with a volunteer ambulance corps (to 1996), 5 private IFT (inter-facility transfer) companies (1975-1985) and recently took Medical Disability Retirement from municipal EMS (NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS, then FDNY EMS Command following the Merger, 1985-2010). My NY State EMT "cert" is good until 2015.

Also, just asking, but does your on-line name have anything to do with the same named character from the "Iron Eagle" movie series?

So back to the topic. Chappy, why do you want to start a Chaplain Service in EMS? How was your experience in Bible College? Not familiar with it. Thanks. Welcome back...

Thanks. Great questions.

Why? Well, to answer that question requires a little bit of a history lesson. I originally got in after I joined a rural VFD in 1988. They encouraged me to get my EMT-B. Once I got that, I got a job in the city and progressed. So, fast forward a few years. In 1991, I realized that, as a young man in my early twenties, I was not emotionally equipped to deal with some of the things I encountered. So, that realization combined with some circumstances resulted in my leaving EMS.

A short time after I left EMS, I found Jesus - I was saved. A few years later, I realized God was calling me into the ministry. So, I've been doing different things since then, including some things a preacher shouldn't. I've been happily married for fourteen years and have two wonderful kids. In August of 2009, I restarted the quest for the degree from Bible college. Basically, Bible college is four years of studying the Bible, learning techniques of preaching, church management, counseling, Greek (ugh), Biblical history, etc. I am compacting the four-year degree into three years with no Greek (yea!).

So, here I am. Over the last few months, I have come to two conclusions: first, the only vocation I have every really been good at in my adult life is EMS. Second, I believe the Lord is leading me to start a Chaplaincy for the county in which I currently reside. In time, I may expand to two neighboring rural counties.

So, why a Chaplaincy?

The obvious is to provide counseling to the medics. Yes, they can go talk to their own Pastors. However, how many of you have a Pastor or someone outside of EMS who really understands what you do? I mean, seriously understands what you do - not the TV fiction of saving the day at the last second, but real life?

Second: I believe I was good at what I did, and I believe I could be good at it again. I remember happening upon an accident and waiting until EMS arrived. One victim had an obvious humerus fracture and, being alert, was screaming in the obvious pain. When EMS arrived, one of the crew-members yelled at the patient to shut-up. At that moment, I wanted to break the medic's arm to see how he would tolerate the pain. However, I realized he had the same attitude I once had. The same cold, dispassionate, morbid, you interrupted my lunch attitude I once had. I hope that I will be in a position to help people understand that the day EMS shows up at your door is likely the worst day of your life (unless you're a regular or a drunk).

Second, of course, CISM

Third, there will be circumstances when a Chaplain may be able to provide comfort and understanding to families.

Ultimately, why? Because it is what I believe may be a calling by God upon my life.

Richard, When was I in EMS? 1988-1991. Where? South Carolina. Why Chappy? Seems like a short, friendly nickname for the Chaplain. Maybe it'll stick, maybe not.

I don't suppose I am a friend of ten-codes. I definitely see the advantage of plain-speech as well.

I have a good friend who has been in EMS for decades. At the age of forty + he decided to become a minister of the Lutheran variety. He is the department chaplain where he works when he is needed, the rest of the time he is just another crewdog.

He is not an in your face type preacher, but is always available to talk with and having spent many years in EMS can relate to the things we see & deal with.

Mant years ago when I was in the Navy we had some folks that had found Jesus, who were the most obnoxious and annoying people on the face of the Earth.

They were always talking down to anyone that wasn't a "believer" and putting the tracts on our desks anytime you walked away for a moment.

People like that were worse than reformed smokers. they were fanatical about their being saved!

Don't become one of them!

People like that were worse than reformed smokers. they were fanatical about their being saved!

Don't become one of them!

In a lot of ways, I am pretty fanatical about what I believe. I am the type to give the kid at the drive-through a tract, and you don't have to spend a lot of time around me to know what I believe. However, there is some importance to knowing your audience. Who knows if I will see that kid again. However, if I get to build a relationship with people, I hope attributes of who I am will have an effect on those people. Plus (along the theme of knowing your audience), the message I would deliver from behind a pulpit is far different than the conversations I hope to have as a Chaplain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.