10-8

chappy

Hello, all..

I was an EMT before some of you were born. But, I wasn't ready for the job, so I got out before some of you were born!

I worked for a public EMS provider. We ran seven trucks in a medium metro area (about 350,000 people). Working 24/48, we would run about 30 calls per shift. So, after a little while, I realized the job, the timing and I didn't work out. So I got out of it.

Now, I am living in a much smaller area - about 20,000 people in my county. Anyway, there have been a lot of changes in my life, including the addition of a new help - Jesus. Well, after some years, some growth and some Bible college, I am thinking about trying to start a Chaplaincy for our local EMS.

I am also working toward getting all the certs back and pulling a few shifts here and there.

That's the nutshell.

Welcome... Most of the people I "work" with, have been doing this shit since the only difference between an ambulance and a hearse, was which way the seats were folded in the back.

Really? How so? It means nothing to me.

In each place I've ever worked 10-8 has meant something completely different. So I have no idea what you mean.

Everywhere I have ever known of uses / used it as "in service" or "back in service"

Everywhere I have ever known of uses / used it as "in service" or "back in service"

Chappy's right Mike, as soon as I saw the thread title, I figured it had something to do with 'back in service'...

10-what?

Because of the many different variations and meanings, the '10 code' has pretty much been dropped in favor of 'plain speak' on the radio.....unfortunately, many organizations have brought back the confusion by adding their own 'signals' and 'codes'. A lot of time, people will incorporate those signals and codes into their postings and totally confuse the general reading public that doesn't use them....

He's only right for his area. As I mentioned, every place I've ever worked over several states and geographical regions has had a different meaning for the specific code in question. In one place 10-8 was code for a bathroom break at the local convenience store. In no place has it ever meant "back in service".

He's only right for his area. As I mentioned, every place I've ever worked over several states and geographical regions has had a different meaning for the specific code in question. In one place 10-8 was code for a bathroom break at the local convenience store. In no place has it ever meant "back in service".

Mike, it's hard to say something like, "In no place..." unless you have been to every place. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.