Discrimination Against Gays

flamingemt2011

Dwayne, my mouth dropped open at your excellent, well thought, intelligent post. But I digress.

I have worked both at a private service, and a hospital based EMS system. At the private service, I worked with one lesbian woman, and one gay man. At the Hospital based system, I can name at least 6 gay or lesbian providers, and those are only ones that I know of. (Not to say there aren't a ton more that I didn't know.) One of them was a lieutenant and went on to become assistant chief. I hate generalizations. To say that "gays" are relegated to 2nd tier services, and have no chance for advancement, is crap. It is like saying all white people are racist, or all black people are criminals. Do either of these statements have any merit? Not at all. You can't paint every person with the same brush.

I think that sometimes people "create" discrimination because they are not getting what they want. Every situation is different. I could say that as a woman in EMS, I get stuck with "bad" jobs, and I can't advance. Is that really the case? Am I really qualified for other positions? Is there jobs available? How many other people are competing for those positions? I could be bitter that I did not receive one of those jobs and say that I did not get the position because I was a woman, my race, weight, sexuality etc. But is it discrimination or just my perception of the situation?

• Like 2

I would disagree, since most the "hirers" are white men, I would think they are not as intimidated by lesbians, whereas a flaming gay male would freak them out.

I love lesbians. You get a couple of them "Jersey Shore Girls" goin' at it, oh yeah. That's hawt. If the way you look, talk, etc., is screaming "someone f*** me now", I'm probably going to be offended by you. In fact, I'd have to question whether you were Gay, or just looking for attention.

I would have to say, that if your personal "level of Gay" is high enough to offend someone, then it's probably because you're a freak... and less likely to be discrimination.

Edited by 2c4

I'd have to question whether you were Gay, or just looking for attention.

Agreed here.

If I can tell your a "flaming homosexual" as soon as you enter the room, your prolly not going to get the job. Not because your gay, but because you are an attention whore, and attention whores are synonymous with causing drama.

• Like 1

you will rarely see an obese or ugly woman working as a receptionist or TV anchor, and you will rarely find a gay male emt or medic working for a municipal EMS / Fire/ or Police Department, we are relegated to the 2nd tier services, and have no chance of advancement. And in "right to work" states, we can be fired for just being gay, whether we are flaming or not.

I was debating chiming in but figured what the heck. I've worked in municipal services my whole career and had several gay/lesbian partners. I experienced some harassment for certain life style choices, but was never discriminated against job-wise. Some of the jokes could get uncomfortable at times. Those who were open and less blatant about it were generally accepted while the flamboyant, in your face types were avoided - usually because drama seemed to follow them.

So you are claiming that straight people do not bring any drama to the job ? WROOOOONNNNNGGGGG ! You have never worked with a female EMT who just broke up with her soulmate, the fireman/emt that just discovered his wife is doing a guy at another station, arguements over race, religion, politics, abortion, illegal aliens. Straight people are the biggest drama queens around, it is just accepted because it is your kind doing your silliness. This is no different than the situation involving the two muslims that were thrown off the airplane after Osama's death, just because they were "different" and made the other passengers uncomfortable. I can promise you that somewhere on that plane was a criminal, a tax cheat, a cheating spouse, a drug dealer or user, and a child molester --- but they didnt "look" abnormal, so they got to stay on the plane. All that should matter at my job is how well I perform patient care, and other social preconditions shouldn't matter.

As mentioned in the other section, I am writing a column for JEMS about discrimination against gays (preferrably men) in our industry. I would really appreciate some of the older gay men in this forum who can contrast the old days versus today to show how much or how little we have progressed. Any private messages will be kept confidential. Thanks in advance.

So you are claiming that straight people do not bring any drama to the job ? WROOOOONNNNNGGGGG ! You have never worked with a female EMT who just broke up with her soulmate, the fireman/emt that just discovered his wife is doing a guy at another station, arguements over race, religion, politics, abortion, illegal aliens. Straight people are the biggest drama queens around, it is just accepted because it is your kind doing your silliness. This is no different than the situation involving the two muslims that were thrown off the airplane after Osama's death, just because they were "different" and made the other passengers uncomfortable. I can promise you that somewhere on that plane was a criminal, a tax cheat, a cheating spouse, a drug dealer or user, and a child molester --- but they didnt "look" abnormal, so they got to stay on the plane. All that should matter at my job is how well I perform patient care, and other social preconditions shouldn't matter.

So at first when I saw this, I actually thought it was a pretty good question and asked nicely. Now Im seeing a little discrimination comming out of the gay guy, and with just two little words "Your Kind" These to words along with "You people" just send me into a tizzy.

So first of all I have no Gaydar what so ever. You could be a guy in a flamming pink dress and I would think your off to a costume party. So now with that being said, I have a lesbian partner sometimes and she is a respectful, nice person that will answer any question I throw at her. She is awsome with patients and with the other members of our little team. So with that being said your statement other social preconditions shouldn't matter, your right but if those "other social preconditions" are thrown in your face as a partner or a pt. then they do matter, as a flamming faggot (going to get slammed im sure but it for effect only) appearance make people uncompfortable and thats just how it is in the real world. I think if a gay person is in any job if they act proffessionaly they will be treated with respect (in the most part) but if they are going to be drama queens then that is how they are going to be treated.

I happen to live in a place in this world were Homosexuality isnt a big thing. We have doctors, nurses, and paramedics that are openly gay and very professional in their chosen fields. We also have a big bi-sexual community as well.

hummmmmmmm wonder why crotch hasnt piped in yet?

So you are claiming that straight people do not bring any drama to the job ?

Nope.... read again.

I said

If I can tell your a "flaming homosexual" as soon as you enter the room, your prolly not going to get the job. Not because your gay, but because you are an attention whore

I mentioned nothing about any other groups bringing any less or more drama.

Same rule goes for these idiots sticking huge holes in thier ears, or facial piercings and large visible tatoos.

If you appear to me that you are there to "Make a statement" other than "Look at me, I am a competent professional healthcare provider" you will not get the job.

You know.... Like picking a screename like "FLAMINGemt" don't expect any cudos from me that you identify yourself first as a gay, and second as a healthcare provider. In fact.... you can expect some hostility because "your kind" (your words not mine) is less than welcome in my profession.

I would be acting no different if you came here as GOTHemt, and started touting discrimination aginst your black lipstick and slashed arms.

• Like 3

I honestly think it is crazy to think that one's status is more relevant than their ability to do their job. I certainly do not intend this next statement to sound offensive or sexist in any way. So, please take it in the intended spirit, K?

At 5'9" and 270lbs (before you whine, I'm down from >340, with a goal of 220), if I am unconscious in my burning home, I really don't want the affirmative action whatever who doesn't weigh as much as his/her/its gear coming in to get me. IMHO, qualifications for a firefighter should include being able to move a victim out of a building. If the firefighter is able to drag me out, I don't really care what their gender is. Likewise, if I slip into a diabetic coma, I hope whoever shows up can find a vein - how they voted in the last election is irrelevant.

However, there is also a uniform to wear. If you are wearing that uniform, you should be uniform. One reason for the uniform is identity another is professionalism. One local volunteer rescue squad is not allowed on the property of a local factory. Why? Some of them have showed up in torn T-Shirts, pajamas, etc. The assumption is that if you cannot take a moment to look professional, how can you act professional. Personally, I believe the volunteer rescue squad should be cut a little slack, but I also think they can look a little better. How hard would it be to roll out of bed into turnout pants? So, if you're in uniform and you have chandeliers hanging from your ears, you're not looking very professional. Tat's are a little different. But seriously, if I'm interviewing and your piercings set off the metal detectors as you drive by the airport on the way to our meeting, don't be surprised if you don't get the job.

Now that I have successfully offended everyone (hopefully not), the point is: qualifications and ability should determine job placement and advancement. Nothing more.

But seriously, if I'm interviewing and your piercings set off the metal detectors as you drive by the airport on the way to our meeting, don't be surprised if you don't get the job.

the point is: qualifications and ability should determine job placement and advancement. Nothing more.

Talking out of both sides of your mouth don't ya think?

Straight people are the biggest drama queens around, it is just accepted because it is your kind doing your silliness.

"My kind"? You realize that with those two little words, you have just proven yourself to be as much of a narrow minded BIGOT as you claim to be rallying against? It seems that not only have you turned your own brush on yourself, you've helped yourself to a THICK coat of the same paint you're slinging onto every heterosexual you're claiming is discriminating against you. You have also removed ANY 'credibility' that your story MIGHT have had....good job!

Far be it to speak for 'My Kind'....but as far as I am concerned, you've got NOTHING left to say of any significance!

• Like 1