EMT-B to EMT-P

Exactly. Since you are already doing exactly what I advised, I would expect you to be encouraged, not offended. :unsure:

Don't punch the messenger just because it's not the response you expected. I have to agree here, it seems that since the response is basically reiterating what you've already done, you would be more encouraged rather than be offended by the response.

Exactly. The only "steps" between EMT and Paramedic should be the college level classes that go along with it. You shouldn't even take EMT-B without doing those first, for that matter. Those classes are the only real way to "get ahead." All this other stuff you keep posting about is pointless, and often counterproductive. You seem to be under the common mistaken belief that medicine is just a book full of first aid skills that can be self taught online, It is not.

If you really want to do this the "best" way, as you claim, then do this:

1. Do not enrol in EMT school yet.

2. Purchase and complete a Medical Terminology self-study textbook.

3. Enrol in college and spend the summer completing:

Anatomy & Physiology I & II

Psychology I

Sociology I

4. Enrol in and complete EMT school.

5. Get an EMS job, if you can. But good luck because the EMT schools get rich producing many times more EMTs than the market will bear.

6. Complete these college courses:

College Algebra I, or next level up if you already have it.

Microbiology

English Composition I

Speech Communications

7. Enrol in and complete a college degreed paramedic programme, as well as any other prerequisites they require for graduation.

8. Welcome to minimum wage.

If you don't really want the "best" way, then save the rest of your questions. Nobody here is anxious to encourage more half-arse, low motivation slugs into our profession.

Good luck!

There's nothing I can say about this that wouldn't sound like an echo. Although I have most of these classes already, some just aren't offered by the college I'm attending. This doesn't mean that I'm done learning (even if it IS 'on my own').

The NREMT approved curricula focuses too much on 'minimum hours required', and the 'patch mill schools' focus even less on it, (how else can you explain them being able to offer the same course in half the time of a college education? I'm talking Paramedic courses only...)

:huh::unsure::confused:

Thanks for the advice Rocket... I did not get offended. I am just a serious planner. I want to plan everything out and I stick to the plan and always follow with it. I have done that my whole life and I am 30. I just what to be the highest level I can be when I go into the job market. I can understand that experience is important too but EMT jobs are rare so why not apply as a Paramedic. I do not need to work at all and want to because of the passion I have for helping people. You post a lot of good advice on here and I look forward to more of your posts.

Exactly. Since you are already doing exactly what I advised, I would expect you to be encouraged, not offended. :unsure:

• Like 1

I just what to be the highest level I can be when I go into the job market. I can understand that experience is important too but EMT jobs are rare so why not apply as a Paramedic.

Beautiful! Education is the foundation you build upon. Going back and pouring your foundation after already constructing the home results in, well... trailer trash. So you are absolutely on the right track with your planning. Just focus on having the highest level of EDUCATION, not the highest level of certification. In medicine, there is a big difference between the two. Too much education is never a bad thing. But, too much experience is one of the biggest problems in EMS.

Beautiful! Education is the foundation you build upon. Going back and pouring your foundation after already constructing the home results in, well... trailer trash. So you are absolutely on the right track with your planning. Just focus on having the highest level of EDUCATION, not the highest level of certification. In medicine, there is a big difference between the two. Too much education is never a bad thing. But, too much experience is one of the biggest problems in EMS.

To the OP listen to this man, he knows what he is talking about. I started my career as a EMT and then as I was starting to think about moving on to become a paramedic I ignored his advice and I attempted a "medic mill" I was doing fairly well until I failed a test and realized that the reason I failed said test is that I was having to study for the next two chapters before I had even finished the first. Medic mills move overly fast and give you the bare basics of information to be a "provider" I feel like I was headed towards being a "cookbook medic". I am now enrolled in a community college and am double majoring in para-medicine and technical theatre. I owe a lot of my career and my knowledge to the likes of Dustdevil Dwayne and Lonestar. I am glad that I have spent the time on this forum and have learned not only from my mistakes but from the mistakes of others.