Quarters: do you have them?

I'm paid to respond to 911 calls. If there are none, then why should I not be able to sleep? I mean seriously, EMS is hit or miss, we may be busy, or we may be slow. Does it matter what I do in between calls? People don't care what we do, as long as we are there when they call and handle their emergency. If we don't have calls or department work to do it hardly matters what we do.

When you start your shift you can run around and do whatever you'd like. I'll catch some Z's just in case we get the big one tonight, mmmmmmk?

I've never heard of ems people bitching about sleeping on the job, thats a new one. Wow.

In my opinion, if you come to work and need to sleep, find a new job or a different shift. If you feel differently, you can paypal me $15/hr tonight while I am sleeping.

I'm not getting paid to sleep. I'm getting paid to sit at this firehouse, away from my family, and to be always ready to respond. You call, and I'm there to handle it without fail or question. That's what I get paid for. Sometimes you need us, sometimes you don't. I am compensated for being there. Whatever I do at the firehouse between calls is my business. I suppose you think we should throw a free car wash for the citizens of Chicago every shift day to earn our money huh?

Edited by ambodriver
  • Like 1

I work for a rural service in south Texas and we run 48 hours on and 72 off. The first 24 we work first out and the second we are the back-up truck. We have 2 bunk rooms with 2 beds in each. We sleep when we can. Usually our day starts with checking our trucks then eating breakfast then we get a nap in. Wash trucks in the afternon if needed and do station chores. We average about 1000 calls per year so we are not very busy. I am the lead medic on my truck and while all the crews differ in how they do things my partner and I sleep in complete uniform with the exception of boots. We are usually out the door before the dispatcher has completed giving the info. I love my shifts. It allows me to work a part time job. Also, I don't feel like patient care is compromised because it is very rare that we dont get at least a 4 hour nap at some point in the day.

So long as the truck is checked off, clean and ready to go, and whatever regular duties you have are attended to, I can't see any point in making people stay awake. This is especially true on ridiculous shifts like 24s or 48s

There is ample research into the effects of fatigue on cognitive and physical abilities. I personally would rather have a well rested paramedic attempting to make life-saving/life-altering decisions and carry out complex fine motor skills than one who has been awake for a prolonged period.

I also think we need to remember that EMTs are people too. They may have had a bad night with a sick kid that kept them up, poor sleep from worry about financial or other issues, they may have to work more than one job to pay the mortgage, who knows? Cut them some slack.

I tend to have issues keeping my blood sugar up to 'safe' levels, if I'm on my feet with out a little rest, for twenty + hours. That squad bench is pretty darn comfortable, with a towel over the trauma bag as a pillow.

I personally would rather have a well rested paramedic attempting to make life-saving/life-altering decisions and carry out complex fine motor skills than one who has been awake for a prolonged period.

I also think we need to remember that EMTs are people too.

Perhaps I am seizing on this incorrectly, but I'd prefer both my EMTs and Paramedics be well rested before treating me or my family. Both may have home issues and second jobs, too, in my area of the country.

24 hour shifts are the exception to my thoughts that you should be awake while working.

If you are working a 10 hour or a 12 hour shift, then why should I as a owner or taxpayer pay you to sleep? That is the thought process of many citizens out there as well as owners.

Personally I don't care if you sleep or stay awake but when the call comes out and you are asleep and you miss the call or being asleep causes you to miss the call or have a delayed response to the ambulance is where your right to sleep ends. Tell that to the patient who you made wait because you couldn't get up quick enough.

Personal problems aside, my opinion is that you should be awake unless you are on a 24 hour shift or longer. If you have problems finding things to do, I'm sure myself or someone else could find something for you who want to sleep to do. There's always run reviews, paperwork that hasn't been done etc etc.

I'm playing devils advocate here because I love to get paid to sleep.

If you are on an 8, 10, or 12 hour shift, I honestly do not see the need to sleep. Ask a nurse who works a double shift- 16 hrs- if they can sleep. In busy places, they barely have enough time for bathroom breaks, much less rest or food. Do I think it's a problem if a crew is allowed to catch a nap? Nope. As for 24's, depending on your call volume, many days, sleep may be impossible. Staying up, focused, and on top of your game for 24 hours is not an easy task. Many places mandate that no beds until after 1800 hrs or 2200 hours, but to me, if I am tired, I will try to nap whenever I can. Even a 15 minute cat nap can do wonders for you.

I don't care who you are, 24 hours is a long time to go without sleep. Does it happen? In many areas, nearly every single day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.