Austin Travis EMS, Wake County or MEDIC Mecklenberg NC

Anyone currently working at any of these EMS agencies, your website has some info or the department but I would like an insiders perspective on working with your agency.Hiring process, how often do you recruit, Salary, certs that increase your initial salary, how the shift runs, workload, opportunities for advancement, retirement,work environment.

Is there a "please" anywhere in there?

Or even a "thanks in advance".

I work in NC but not for one of those agencies, although I do know a few that do. MEDIC seems to have a revolving door as they are SSM. The folks I know who work there though seem to enjoy it and have been there for some time. BUSY, BUSY, BUSY service. It is not unusual to have several calls pending when you check on at the beginning of your shift. WCEMS seems to be in a bit of a hiring freeze from what I understand. That being said, there is no harm in applying. Their fiscal year ends in June and that may create some opportunities. If your looking at NC, I suggest you look at www.NCEMS.org for employment openings. Forsyth County, Durham County, Orange County et al, are all good services.

I work in NC but not for one of those agencies, although I do know a few that do. MEDIC seems to have a revolving door as they are SSM. The folks I know who work there though seem to enjoy it and have been there for some time. BUSY, BUSY, BUSY service. It is not unusual to have several calls pending when you check on at the beginning of your shift. WCEMS seems to be in a bit of a hiring freeze from what I understand. That being said, there is no harm in applying. Their fiscal year ends in June and that may create some opportunities. If your looking at NC, I suggest you look at www.NCEMS.org for employment openings. Forsyth County, Durham County, Orange County et al, are all good services.

thanks for the info.

.Hiring process, how often do you recruit, Salary, certs that increase your initial salary, how the shift runs, workload, opportunities for advancement, retirement,work environment.

I don't work FOR A/TC EMS but have worked WITH them as a first responder...have a little insight, but not much. Might be more than nothing.

Go to the http://www.ci.austin.../hr/default.htm for details on the upcoming hiring processes and to submit an application. You should also be able to find information on pay, benefits, etc.

Austin runs hybrid shifts which, for the most part is 12/12/24. For the busier stations, you will work either a double AM shift or a double PM shift, and then one 24 at a slower station. Austin has bi-annual bid process for shifts/stations and it's usually tenure that gets the good shifts/stations.

There are two more hiring processes this year that you would still be eligible for. Otherwise, I'd almost think you wouldn't see another until the first of next year. But...that is simply speculation.

As a side note...I did my practicum here and had a blast!

Holler if you have more specific questions. If I don't know the answers...I can make it up. :D

Edited by tcripp

Please excuse my bad manners it was late last night when I sent the message and was rushing to go bed for an 8am shift. I humbly apologize! Thanks for any info in advance and please offer as much as you can.Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.