Why are doctors offices such EMS misusers

Every agency that tries that eventually gets pwnt for millions in civil court.

WTF do you care? I for one didn't take the job to NOT transport patients.

Oh Dusty you ole devil you, that's what we get paid for. Lord knows its better than the alternative, Not getting paid. Been there done that, can't afford the t-shirt.

:lol::thumbsup:

A number of Doctors who called for an EMS transport, to my experience, almost refused to even advise me what they suspected was wrong with their patients. I suspect they felt we were dumber than some stereotyped cab drivers.

The doctors around here like to try that with me every now and then. I don't stand for it, haha... I hunt them down in the office and don't let them get away without getting a report. I've had to shame a few in front of other patients-- "so, doc, I really need to know what's going on with this patient if you want them to go to the emergency room. You're the doctor who evaluated this patient, right?" They'll give you a report-- just push the issue, act professional, and ask questions like you know what the hell you're doing. (not you specifically - just general commentary)

I agree with mike. Who are we to judge the physician who calls for a transport.

Ill put any doctors 8 years of school plus 3 or so years of resdency and multiple years of clinical practice up against a paramdics 2 years(maybe) of school and a couple of years on the street any day in a head to head battle and I can tell you who will win. The doc every single time.

Liability yes, experience yes.

Folks let me ask this, why are we so cocky and dead sure that we know who needs an ambulance and who does not? We transport patients and for those who say that budgets are strained here's this.

Which is a guaranteed pay or nearly guaranteed? The homeless guy who got shot or the patient being transferred via a doctors office on a doctors orders?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Probably because if they feel that patient needs to go to the hospital, they're responsible for that patient and can only release them to another appropriate medical provider in order to maintain a continuity of care. It's a liability issue, really. If they simply release the patient that they think needs to go to the hospital, they're putting their trust (and license) on the line in the hope that that patient will actually follow their instructions and go straight to the hospital. It's easier and less liability for them to simply call EMS to transport the patient.

Hmm, just thinking perhaps the doctors in private practice are under the same illusion as some patients, the patient will be seen quicker if brought in by ambulance? Emergency Medicine is a specialty, after all, most MDs or DOs might not have that knowledge.

Hmm, just thinking perhaps the doctors in private practice are under the same illusion as some patients, the patient will be seen quicker if brought in by ambulance? Emergency Medicine is a specialty, after all, most MDs or DOs might not have that knowledge.

Richard, that may just be true.

But I'm thinking that it's not our job to argue or disagree publicly with the physician calling us.

Sure, I've done it in private with my partner saying "dude, what the hell was that transfer all about? All we did was drive the patient to the hosptial" but it really isn't our place to question in front of a patient the necessity of their going by ambulance.

I'm paid to transport and that's what I do.

No. They're not taking resources away from the community. They're utilizing resources that are there and available for exactly the purpose for which you were called.

Are you seriously arguing the people you're transporting aren't entitled to use the services that their tax money pays for simply because you don't think they need an ambulance?

Seriously?

I had a doctor tell his patient that she would get seen in the ER faster if she went by ambulance vs private vehicle while we were standing right there. So yes, at least some doctors are under that impression. Personally when people tell me they took an ambulance to the ER simply because it would get them seen faster, I love walking them out to the waiting room to wait with everyone else (with triage nurse approval of course).

While not specifically doctors offices, I wish that more people would understand that there are more options then only going to the ER via ambulance or staying home (with going via personal vehicle or going to an urgent care being other ideas).

How often do you guys run into the situation that doctors fail to tell their patients that they are being sent via ambulance to the ER? We have a couple urgent care places in our area that are notorious for that, and the patients are always blind-sighted when we arrive.

We have a couple urgent care places in our area that are notorious for that, and the patients are always blind-sighted when we arrive.

Actually, I have had a few of them, too.Then, we have the fun of calming down the patient, and the patient's family, no matter the original reason the doctor called for the ambulance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.