Anyone Else Have Shoulder Pain After Long CPR

Hey all figured this would be the right forum.

Had a particularly bad CPR call this weekend. We worked the pt for over 40 minutes total. Well we get pack to the Station and I went to reach for something and got sharp pain in my shoulder. Now I have injured my shoulders before. Everything from dislocation to torn rotator cuff so I know shoulder pain. This feels different.

I have full range of motion but every once in a while (at different positions) I get a sharp pain. To top it off it feels weaker, I don't have a way to quantify that other than "feel".

So I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it something to expect and it goes away in a few days with some heat and ASA.

I do have to say this was my first CPR where I was doing the compressions, usually I am bagging or working the AED.

If you were wondering no it was not a save, never analyized a shock the entire time.

Edited by UGLyEMT

I very rarely do CPR, that's what FF's and the Lucas 2 is for. I have in the past had wrist pain though.

What you're describing sounds a lot like the random shoulder pain I get from time to time without much rhyme or reason. The last came when I picked up the airway bag on a call. No pain during the tiny lift but for the rest of the day I had sharp pains shoot through my shoulder when my arm was in certain positions. No stiffness or problems with range of motion, just pain. I chalked it up to a pinched nerve. Thankfully it didn't last.

just playing with you Ugly...

It's nearly impossible for me to imagine someone in even poor condition injuring themselves doing proper compressions, back straight/arms locked, but of course it's always possible to injur/reinjur a weak area from before...

Only your Doc knows for sure..

Dwayne

Given the drive we have to the nearest ER, if our patient does meet the protocol to be transported - working a 'full code'. I usually end up red in the face, sweating profusely, and unable to stand up straight. Never gets hard on the shoulders, usually the wrists, forearms, back of the lowest hand... upper abdominal muscles, hips. Occasional dizziness, coupled with hitting my head on the cabinets when switching places. I still think automated machines are the way to go, we have an oxygen eating Thumper from the 70's, a "HLR" Heart Lung Resuscitator... But totally a waste of O2, and not allowed to use it. Consider switching out every few minutes, that way at least you get a rest.

Thanks Dwayne, that was just what I needed :rolleyes2: Ass hat :jump:

Its all good brother.

Like I said it was the first time so was just wondering. Today it feels a little better, did a heat wrap and some ASA. I wasn't bitching BTW I was just inquiring.

2c4 I know what you mean, I looked the same way. That is our ride to the ED, was all over the place back there. I fit your description perfectly. The shoulder thing was after and wasn't expected.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you're better. Please tell me you reported your injury to your Supervisor. Reason being, if it is a tear, you would want to go on Worker's Compensation. The Employer must cover Medical Expenses relating to the injury. Anyway, I hope it was a strain. Next time tell the Medics to hurry and get the pronouncement time. Just kidding, maybe not...

Thanks NYC. Did not report it, wasn't something to keep me down just "diferent". I did go to the Doc though and nothing remarkable showed on Xray, MRI, CT. After a little rest some heat and cold treatments and ASA everything is all well and good.

I wish we had medics on this call, they would likely have pronounced. Unfortunatly in my lovely rural area we got to the hospital before medics could meet us. Nothing unusual for our area.

I guess with past medical history of shoulder injuries it just aggrivated something but everything is fine now.

Thanks all for the responses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.