Drug 'Shortage' Led Supply Practice Evaluation - Program Could Apply to Other Systems

NYCEMS9115

10 doses of D50 per rig? That's incredibly wasteful IMHO. I think you would need to worry about expiration dates far more than keeping up with a par stock.

I work in a busy system, and there is NO WAY we would ever need that many. We are officially required to stock 3, and generally most rigs have an extra couple they "acquire" as spares just in case. In other words, the official required stock is often quite different than what crews may actually carry. When I worked the ghetto, I would carry a pocket full of Narcan- especially if we had runs of extra potent heroin OD's, or extra Albuterol when asthma cases flared up, but I never saw a need for that much Dextrose.

I realize the recent drug shortages forced many areas to hoard their supplies- Narcan, Epinephrine- 1:1,000 were also at risk. It seems the manufacturer finally retooled their production and seems to have caught up on their numbers, so I see no reason to stockpile. Waste of money, space, and effort.

I can't believe that they were carrying that many doses of D50 on each unit, especially with the price of drugs & medical supplies today.

You can certainly do without 10 doses aboard the unit, but in a busy area you could certainly go through 5 or more ampules of D50 in just a few days (3-5 days perhaps), sometimes. On occasion 5 in a day (and it'd be uncommon...but not unbelievable or rare at all).

I would also think there'd be a certain level of "reserve" supplies the ambulances would want to carry in case of disaster.

Edited by AnthonyM83

My entire urban squad is over stocked but there is no inventory control and I'd rather have a few extra. So that when I come in and nobody has stocked all weekend the truck is still ok.

Agreed that it is better to overstock than under-stock for your own self, However I have a larger issue with you putting a rig in service without having personally cleared your inventory. I have learned better than to trust the off-going shift on their "yeah its good to roll" word. Me and Mr. Murphy have had our dances in the past....

Fireman1037

when I come in and nobody has stocked all weekend the truck is still ok.

Sorry, but if nobody is restocking after their tour, I'd be writing them up, as I'd expect to be written up if I did that.

I always restock to at least what I used, or, if hung up with a late call, if the relief crew hasn't been already put into a spare truck to go available, I at least tell them what should go on their "shopping list". Even off the clock, I have gone to get the stuff from the supply locker, even as they are doing their mandated "Part 800" (NYS DoH and NYS Public Law 30 required supplies and equipment) vehicle check for their tour, although they will put it on the shelves, and not me.

• 2 weeks later...

So checking the truck is often done after the first call or during the first call.

Admittedly a common practice, but not recommended. That first call will be the one without the necessary whatchamacallit on board, or that's when the State DoH Field Inspector pulls you over for an unannounced equipment/supply checkout.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.