Ode to a Safety Officer

tniuqs

post-8540-0-44443300-1303237643_thumb.jp

As some of you may know my background in provision of ALS and Primary Care to Alberta Sustainable Resource Development AB also known as Wildland or Forest Fire Fighting and attempts at eradication of the Pine Beetle in Canada (BC and AB) has been some of the best times in my life and most challenging times, providing care to the First Nations who are on the front lines in vast majority of situations in campaign type fires.

I feel compelled to inform all that there has been the passing of a good hearted man, that, I am proud to say was my friend, we weathered Grizzly Bear attacks in the dead of winter, 40 men trapped in the bush in a 5 ft Blizzard (and recovered them all safe and sound) 250 man camps that got food poisoning, roll over trucks on ice roads (to mention just a few incidents)

Al Walker taught Forestry Conservation and Wilderness First Aid at the Northern Institute of Technology Alberta and was highly respected by the "Old School" of hard knocks and hard work, he started his career when Horses and not Helicopters were the primary mode of transportation and without doubt he positively affected the future generations of Forest Rangers / Officers, he was a Master of Survival.

One day he paid me one of the BEST Compliments I have ever received in my life, this during an overhead team meeting as he was a horseman and called me "the VET" aka veterinarian ... btw this is was an sincere honour.

We met by happen stance while on holidays one year camping and boating in 2007 my Son and Daughter so enjoyed his fun "survival" training, the introduction in how to make a "match heads flare" and much to my dismay for my 13 y/0 son ! and water balloons raiding wars at or camp sites, woke us up at 5 in the blessed am ... just to screw us up.

Al Walker (aka Ranger Walker) died of Pancreatic Cancer after surviving "Wipples Procedure" about 9 months ago he was one tough son of a bitch at 76 surviving that surgery. Last time we socalised was a bottle of Rhum and Moose Steaks at his ranch.

In loo of a request of prayer, if you so would care, bury a small piece of tobacco in the ground in the traditional Cree ceremony of honour of passing to the ancestors ... may Safety AL return as a Raven to watch over us all.

RIP my friend.

post-8540-0-44443300-1303237643_thumb.jp

As some of you may know my background in provision of ALS and Primary Care to Alberta Sustainable Resource Development AB also known as Wildland or Forest Fire Fighting and attempts at eradication of the Pine Beetle in Canada (BC and AB) has been some of the best times in my life and most challenging times, providing care to the First Nations who are on the front lines in vast majority of situations in campaign type fires.

I feel compelled to inform all that there has been the passing of a good hearted man, that, I am proud to say was my friend, we weathered Grizzly Bear attacks in the dead of winter, 40 men trapped in the bush in a 5 ft Blizzard (and recovered them all safe and sound) 250 man camps that got food poisoning, roll over trucks on ice roads (to mention just a few incidents)

Al Walker taught Forestry Conservation and Wilderness First Aid at the Northern Institute of Technology Alberta and was highly respected by the "Old School" of hard knocks and hard work, he started his career when Horses and not Helicopters were the primary mode of transportation and without doubt he positively affected the future generations of Forest Rangers / Officers, he was a Master of Survival.

One day he paid me one of the BEST Compliments I have ever received in my life, this during an overhead team meeting as he was a horseman and called me "the VET" aka veterinarian ... btw this is was an sincere honour.

We met by happen stance while on holidays one year camping and boating in 2007 my Son and Daughter so enjoyed his fun "survival" training, the introduction in how to make a "match heads flare" and much to my dismay for my 13 y/0 son ! and water balloons raiding wars at or camp sites, woke us up at 5 in the blessed am ... just to screw us up.

Al Walker (aka Ranger Walker) died of Pancreatic Cancer after surviving "Wipples Procedure" about 9 months ago he was one tough son of a bitch at 76 surviving that surgery. Last time we socalised was a bottle of Rhum and Moose Steaks at his ranch.

In loo of a request of prayer, if you so would care, bury a small piece of tobacco in the ground in the traditional Cree ceremony of honour of passing to the ancestors ... may Safety AL return as a Raven to watch over us all.

RIP my friend.

My sincerest condolences on the passing of your friend.

Sounds like he was a special guy.

Sounds like he was an amazing friend. If only more people were like him with compassion for the profession and knowledge to teach it. Very sorry to hear about his passing but it surly sounds like you are celebrating his life, as it should be done

Farewell brother, RIP

Aaron

• 1 year later...

Your friend sounds like he was a wonderful man. I am honored that you would tell us about him and his legacy. Thank you for sharing.

I will both pray and bury tobacco in his honor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.