new cpr/aed instructor

tamaith

Hi,

I recently received my bls instructor cert from aha. I was curious about cpr manikins. Are there ones that are better then others? Im torn between cpr prompt manikins ( blue body/ cheaper in price) and the little anne ones ( which we used in the instructor course). Also any suggestions on aed trainers ( phillips, zoll etc) would be appreciated too. Thank you!

Hi,

I recently received my bls instructor cert from aha. I was curious about cpr manikins. Are there ones that are better then others? Im torn between cpr prompt manikins ( blue body/ cheaper in price) and the little anne ones ( which we used in the instructor course). Also any suggestions on aed trainers ( phillips, zoll etc) would be appreciated too. Thank you!

I have used both the blue alien looking ones and the Anne's - and I definitely prefer the latter. Just easier to use, in my opinion. As to the AED trainers, I've only used the Phillips, so I can't give you my opinion on that one. However, since you tell everyone that it's a sample of what could be out there, I think you are safe in using whichever fits your budget best.

Although there are manikins out there that are much higher quality, the "alien" manikins will do just fine. I would not spend the money on the expensive ones until you have the profits rolling and business is good. Just some food for thought; depending on who you instruct through (ARC, AHA, etc) they actually have regulations on which manikins that you can use. ARC actually has a list published that specifiies the brand and model of manikin that is approved for their courses. The "alien" model is not one of them. I doubt anybody would call you on it, but just be aware of the fact.

If you are just starting out in the business, I highly suggest you read "Safety Training for Profits". It has a ton of invaluable information on how to make money teaching CPR and First Aid. Alot of businesses do this but if you want to be highly profitable, its a must read. You can find it at www.cprcash.com . Its a cheesy website but the book is great. Best of luck to you.

Hi,

While the blue CPR manikins are a lot cheaper and you can get more bang for you buck the little anne manikins hold up so much better. However, whatever you have to do to start works. We just are phasing out using the blue ones and getting the ones that are a little bit more. They hold up better. AED trainers just depends on what you like.