Is this a HIPPA law violation?

ColinW

Ok i see it now, can you see how I misunderstood you though? My bad dude didnt know you was going after crotchity should have figured that though.

Honestly, no. I can't see how you could have possibly misunderstood that. If you had read the thread in its entirety it should have been pretty clear.

I will say, however, since you brought it up, punctuation and grammar are your friend. Just so you know.

ETA: If nothing else, it makes your comments *much* easier to read. Thanks.

Edited by paramedicmike

You guys are in serious need of a HIPAA class.

So, apparently, did the person who covered privacy laws at my school at the beginning of this school year, as well as, apparently, the Center for Medicare/Medicade Services.

I guess the HIPAA compliance class I was mandated to take at the beginning of fall quarter, as well as the updates I'm mandated to take every year by my employer, don't count either, eh?

Nah, we all know that 'company based education' only serves to protect and promulgate 'the company way'....roflmao

Well, to be fair, there are millions of bloodsucking lawyers out there who will happily and hungrily debate what is and is not HIPAA mandated. And whether they win or lose, they still win. So, even though HIPAA says Crotch is wrong, you would still be smart to operate as if he were right.

Oh yeah, and kill all the lawyers. Now.

Well, to be fair, there are millions of bloodsucking lawyers out there who will happily and hungrily debate what is and is not HIPAA mandated. And whether they win or lose, they still win. So, even though HIPAA says Crotch is wrong, you would still be smart to operate as if he were right.

Oh yeah, and kill all the lawyers. Now.

And that is pertty much what I told my friend as well. I said if a a lawyer wants you bad enough you had better belive hes gonna get you in the end, but he dont belive me.

• 4 years later...

If this social media post identifies the patient and/or he/her PHI, it is a violation.  This stuff should not be on social media.  The man's family probably does not think the CPR was pretty cool.  Ok I need some EMS opinons on this, my friend who is a volunteer fireman and I got in to a arguement about this the other day here is his status from facebook:

".....it was pertty cool i got to assist with CPR on a medical today, wasnt much we could do (R.I.P old man)...."

I said since we live in a town of 2,000 thats odds are you have one of his family members as a friend on facebook and you could get in trouble for that though the HIPPA laws. He blew me off and said that he couldn't get in trouble and that hes been doing it for longer than so basicly I dont know what im talking about, really pissed me off. I asked my mom what she made of it (RN of 30 years) and she said she thinks it broke some laws. If it didn't violate a HIPPA law at the least it was very disrespectful to the departed and his family.

What do you guys make of 

And we are revisiting this why?  Other than to discuss this again.  

It is good to discuss Hipaa I believe because it makes us better providers but Frank, you need to not just quote the original thread but please tell us why you resurrected a 6 year old thread topic instead of making up your own?  

what are your thoughts on this?  you just posted the original thread and you gave no points of your own.  I'm interested in your thoughts and why you thought it was important enough to bring it up again.  Did you have an instance where this happened in your neck of the woods?  

But I'll chime in - Yes this guy violated HIPAA and should not have posted anything about his call.  In my opinion, we should not be posting about calls we run except in the most VAGUE OF VAGUE WAYS.  No identifying items, no names, no ages, no sex, no reasons for the call, no pictures(GOD NOT a picture at all). If you cannot mask it to where the family member couldn't pick it out of a line up of 200 people, then don't post it.  

And don't be upset if you get called into the principals office to defend your actions, if you post it defend it.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.