Is this a HIPPA law violation?

ColinW

Did you even bother to read the link AK posted?

The Privacy and Security Rules apply only to covered entities. Individuals, organizations, and agencies that meet the definition of a covered entity under HIPAA must comply with the Rules' requirements to protect the privacy and security of health information and must provide individuals with certain rights with respect to their health information. If an entity is not a covered entity, it does not have to comply with the Privacy Rule or the Security Rule.

That is the very first paragraph at the top of the page AK linked.

Here you go, look under "what information is protected":

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html

Did you read your own link?

"Who is Covered by the Privacy Rule

The Privacy Rule, as well as all the Administrative Simplification rules, apply to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and to any health care provider who transmits health information in electronic form in connection with transactions for which the Secretary of HHS has adopted standards under HIPAA (the “covered entities”). For help in determining whether you are covered, use CMS's decision tool."

My bad on screwing up the spelling of HIPAA, i realized it right after i posted it and I cant seem to edit my OP otherwise it would have been fixed. Me and Dwayne had a talk about this the other day :turned:

Anyways it was the "R.I.P Old Man" that got to me, this same guy was called to assist my grandpa when he had his final heart attack and was unaware who he was until later that day when I said he had died. Had he posted something like that about my grand dad I would have been very pissed. He is losing sight of the fact that that "old man" was someones son, someones dad, someones grandpa ect ect and there needs to be some respect given to not only those who die but their family and friends. If it wasn't a HIPAA violation then I was wrong but you best belive I will hold myself to a higher standard once Im in the field because shit like that is unacceptable from anyone in EMS and I hope you all do too.

Edited by ColinW
  • Like 3

Yes I read it, any "protected information" is forbidden to be given out whether you are a firefighter, cop, or whatever. Here is a scenario for you:

Two cops talking at a donut shop loudly: "Could you believe how bad Mr. Smith over there on Elm Street looked ? I didnt even know he had AIDS ? Neighbor in booth next to them and hears it. HIPAA violation yes or no ?

answer my scenario please. According to you guys, since this information was not transmitted electronically, and the cops are not health care providers, there is no violation. Right ?

That would be correct. A violation of departmental privacy rules probably but not a HIPAA violation

My bad on screwing up the spelling of HIPAA, i realized it right after i posted it and I cant seem to edit my OP otherwise it would have been fixed. Me and Dwayne had a talk about this the other day :turned:

Anyways it was the "R.I.P Old Man" that got to me, this same guy was called to assist my grandpa when he had his final heart attack and was unaware who he was until later that day when I said he had died. Had he posted something like that about my grand dad I would have been very pissed. He is losing sight of the fact that that "old man" was someones son, someones dad, someones grandpa ect ect and there needs to be some respect given to not only those who die but their family and friends. If it wasn't a HIPAA violation then I was wrong but you best belive I will hold myself to a higher standard once Im in the field because shit like that is unacceptable from anyone in EMS and I hope you all do too.

There is no acceptable reason to be posting on any type of social media site any information on calls you are part of.

That would be correct. A violation of departmental privacy rules probably but not a HIPAA violation

There is no acceptable reason to be posting on any type of social media site any information on calls you are part of.

This ^

This is one of the many, many reasons that we say that EMS is not a hobby, a " calling", or "lifestyle". It's just a job, Don't take it home with you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.