PHTLS 7th Ed. Military edition

Hello all,

Currently, I am considering updating the trauma section of my library. If possible, with more of a military medicine, or remote setting focus. I find many of the traditional trauma textbooks, such as ATLS very useful, but they do lack that specific focus. This text might fit the bill:

PHTLS, 7th ed. Military edition

Has anyone out there read it? Looking for your thoughts, review, and insight here before I shell out the $50-ish for a copy.

In the past, I have noticed that all most military edition have to offer (vs. the civilian version) is a short chapter in the back without really having a focus on military medicine.

TS

Well, I have dear friends who author that book, so I hate to say this, but...

With three (3 that we know of) wars going on right now, the body of knowledge in tactical medicine is changing at a rapid pace. Consequently, unless you are taking or teaching the corresponding course with the text, I don't think I'd spend fifty bucks on a dust gatherer. Not that it's not a fine book. It is. But if you are a serious consumer of information, it's all available online (the info, not the book). And you will stay more informed and up to date with current literature reviews. After all, that's where they get the info to write textbooks with!

It's probably a good idea to do both....you're basically paying for a library researcher to gather all the info in a nice package for you to read. While I love reading journal articles, I also want to know what the "general consensus" or the "experts at the top" think. Another option wait awhile and then buy a used copy from Amazon...

Hey Dust...looks like we returned from our hiatus at about the same time....

One of my reasons for ordering it was to see if the material would be something I would like to eventually teach. I am kind of in the 'been doing this for a while' stage of my career so getting into the education side seems like the next logical step.

I do agree that with all the online references, studies that you can review online that, for the most part, it is difficult for a text to stay current especially if you consider the time it takes to review, edit, and eventually publish a textbook. Now, as an instructor I will have to teach to the content, of course.

Well, I have dear friends who author that book, so I hate to say this, but...

With three (3 that we know of) wars going on right now, the body of knowledge in tactical medicine is changing at a rapid pace. Consequently, unless you are taking or teaching the corresponding course with the text, I don't think I'd spend fifty bucks on a dust gatherer. Not that it's not a fine book. It is. But if you are a serious consumer of information, it's all available online (the info, not the book). And you will stay more informed and up to date with current literature reviews. After all, that's where they get the info to write textbooks with!

Yes, of course one would. That goes without saying.

The question is: does one want to? For me, a quick review of the current textbook would answer that question. Is the material something I can see myself teaching? After all, as I mentioned, teaching to the course content is an important aspect of these courses. Now, I am not saying make it a canned experience, but on some level you have to cover the main teaching points. I would just prefer if those main teaching points were relevant; The textbook will tell you that.

I'd probably take the class ITSELF first before deciding on whether to teach it...?

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with everyone else, take the 7th Ed pHTLs first and see if you like it. I teach it every month and there are some good things about it and some bad things. Another thing you an consider taking is Tactical Combat Casualty Care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.