From Canada

MayhoodEMT

And I'm ever so looking forward to the big leap backwards that will be the new and exciting standardized Provincial directives.

And I STILL get flack from other medics every time I tout the benefits of the College (if done right, not like what I've heard about ACoP).

What changes are you expecting to see with that?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What changes are you expecting to see with that?

BEorP: LOL that is humour right ? ... Why not just watch the superior wheels of motion at work, see for yourself what questions, motions and non answers will be discussed, the justification for property acquisition is a curiosity in of itself.

Here is my best guess to reply to your question: Double the fees for licensure, maybe quadruple ? Double the regulation, and increased provincial registration exam fees, all this with no representation as an advocacy or association for Paramedics.

Praise the Lord: Today is the ACoP AGM and oddly enough with only one days notice to the membership :shiftyninja: the meeting will be web cast, http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/pages/home/default.aspx

but one still can't vote on line.

I wonder how many out of the 7500 members will participate this year, maybe 50 if it follows the trend. I know of one Cowboy, long standing participation @ AGMs that has finally recognised the futility of it all and will be watching CPAC (AB legislature) instead, because this is far more influential on the future of EMS in AB than the regulatory body may be today.

Council members are being voted on yeah vs neigh (no Bylaws changes proposed, this a true pity). For the one EMR position, the "ONE" single member running is already in by acclimation (from what I gather from the website links) perhaps the future Paramedic College President ?

You may see where I may be going with this .. :withstupid:

cheers

BEorP: LOL that is humour right ? ... Why not just watch the superior wheels of motion at work, see for yourself what questions, motions and non answers will be discussed, the justification for property acquisition is a curiosity in of itself.

Here is my best guess to reply to your question: Double the fees for licensure, maybe quadruple ? Double the regulation, and increased provincial registration exam fees, all this with no representation as an advocacy or association for Paramedics.

Praise the Lord: Today is the ACoP AGM and oddly enough with only one days notice to the membership :shiftyninja: the meeting will be web cast, http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/pages/home/default.aspx

but one still can't vote on line.

I wonder how many out of the 7500 members will participate this year, maybe 50 if it follows the trend. I know of one Cowboy, long standing participation @ AGMs that has finally recognised the futility of it all and will be watching CPAC (AB legislature) instead, because this is far more influential on the future of EMS in AB than the regulatory body may be today.

Council members are being voted on yeah vs neigh (no Bylaws changes proposed, this a true pity). For the one EMR position, the "ONE" single member running is already in by acclimation (from what I gather from the website links) perhaps the future Paramedic College President ?

You may see where I may be going with this .. :withstupid:

cheers

Sorry... should have been more clear! My question was directed at the first part of the quote about the new provincial directives. I didn't mean to get you going on how things with the ACoP have gone!

We've only seen the draft directives and unfortunately I wasn't given a copy I could take from CME. The changes to the PCP directives aren't huge, though the language felt more restrictive than our current base hospital directives (CEPCP). The ACP directives were full of patch points where they didn't exist before. Currently ACP's patch for pronouncement, chemical restraint, dopamine (in non post-arrest situations) and cardioversion. Proposed directives had them patching for quite a bite more including adenosine. I wish I could provide more detail than that, but it was almost a year ago that I read through them. Certainly the medics weren't happy with them and even our own Base Hospital isn't a fan and voted against. But progress marches on and the province is hell bent on seeing us all on one set of directives.

We've only seen the draft directives and unfortunately I wasn't given a copy I could take from CME. The changes to the PCP directives aren't huge, though the language felt more restrictive than our current base hospital directives (CEPCP). The ACP directives were full of patch points where they didn't exist before. Currently ACP's patch for pronouncement, chemical restraint, dopamine (in non post-arrest situations) and cardioversion. Proposed directives had them patching for quite a bite more including adenosine. I wish I could provide more detail than that, but it was almost a year ago that I read through them. Certainly the medics weren't happy with them and even our own Base Hospital isn't a fan and voted against. But progress marches on and the province is hell bent on seeing us all on one set of directives.

There is nothing wrong with Provincial directives, Nova Scotia has them as do Albertobia now. We will have them here too very shortly.

There is something wrong if you go backwards instead of forwards with them however.

I am still quite surprised that given the comparable education you have in Canada that your practice is still quite restrictive.

Then there is Quezbeckistan, nobody knows what in the bloody hell they are doing :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.