From Canada

MayhoodEMT

Hey Everyone,

I've been a member on here for a while but have never posted. I'm from Calgary, Canada. I've been an EMT-A or PCP or whatever for 4 years and am currently awaiting my final exams for the paramedic/acp qualifications.

I've found the thread on here very interesting and insightful.

Hope to have some great convos!

Mike

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL believe it or not they do, def took a couple years though.

I've been an EMT there since spring 07 and things have changed a lot since I started.

Was making 200 a day when I started there, some EMTs are making upwards of 460 a day there now which seems descent...?

Ah a Linda and Billy Blastoff Thread ... you got to love them and shake your head at the same time. :shiftyninja:

BUT at the end of the day they BOTH have great heart for the profession, sure Bill has his faults but after 30 years I respect his wisdom and moreover his passion, he and Linda have done a lot for us all in the development of EMS in AB.

(BTW don't ever tell them I said that!)

Welcome to EMT City ... MayhoodEMT do you need a cheap place to crash while on your on your Princess Keri PC "social hiring" Practicum ?

contact PM.

FYI: there is a Conservative proposed amendment to Health Professions Act to "accept" all the alphabet terms, this as introduced by an Ex Car Salesmen turn MLA from Sherwood Park intendeded to absolutely bambozzel the public by ACoP, and stencil Emergency Paramedic on side of ALL AHS gut wagons, further misleading the delivery level of care that the AB public is receiving and streamline "national reciprocity" ..... MEH !

My hope personally we will have an Election and new Government in place to positively affect ACoP, heck maybe a new public appointee to ACoP(in passing) :punk: most hopefully before this foolishness reaches 3rd and final reading and we abandon World Wide accepted Terms.

cheers

...and stencil Emergency Paramedic on side of ALL AHS gut wagons, further misleading the delivery level of care that the AB public is receiving and streamline "national reciprocity" ..... MEH !

Hmm, lets see ....

EMT (Alberta)

- OPA, NPA, LMA

- 3 lead ECG interpretation

- 12 lead ECG acquisition

- Defibrillation

- Aspirin

- Glucose

- Salbutamol

- Entonox

- Glucagon

- Adrenaline

- GTN

- IV glucose

vs

Paramedic (AU/NZ)

- OPA, NPA, LMA

- 12 lead ECG interpretation

- Defibrillation

- Cardioversion (NZ)

- Aspirin

- Glucose

- Salbutamol

- Entonox

- Methoxyflurane (NZ)

- Glucagon

- Adrenaline

- GTN

- IV glucose

- Paracetamol

- Naloxone

- Midazolam (AU)

- Ceftriaxone

... hmm sounds almost like a "Paramedic" to Kiwi :P

Correction:

My hope personally we will have an Election and new Government in place to positively affect ACoP, heck maybe a new public appointee to ACoP(just in passing) I am most hopefully before this foolishness reaches 3rd and final reading and we abandon maintain World Wide accepted Terms.

Hmm, lets see ....

EMT (Alberta)

- Oxygen its a drug here, used quite frequently too LOL

- OPA, NPA, LMA ... big whoop

- 3 lead ECG interpretation

- 12 lead ECG acquisition (again big whoop if cath lab is a couple hundred klicks away)

- Defibrillation Automatic with a little voice telling you to push the red button

- Aspirin

- Glucose

- Salbutamol

- Entonox

- Glucagon

- Adrenaline

- GTN translation NTG ... your backwards AND upside down !

- IV glucose

vs

Paramedic (Alberta)

- OPA, NPA, LMA

- ETI and Surgical Airway

- 12 lead ECG interpretation and TNK

- Defibrillation + Cardioversion (AB) at will

- Chest Decomprestion with sharp things.

- Aspirin

- Atrovent

- Atropine

- Anectine

- Adenosine and Rocuronium

- Amnioderone

- Betaloc

- Thiamine ... this is BLS in BC and should be BLS in Albertastan.

- Glucose

- Salbutamol

- Entonox Yes Ok but Why ?

- Morphine Sulfate

- Fentanyl

- Ketamine

- Methoxyflurane (NZ)Ok why are you still doing this .. to keep up with the OZ ?

- Glucagon

- Adrenaline 1:1000 and 1:10000

- GTN PO and IV (see above for translation to english)

- IV glucose

- Paracetamol ... translation from Kiwiland "Tylenol"

- Naloxone

- Midazolam and other benzos.

- Ceftriaxone (we need this in open fractures animal bites and eviscerations) score one for the NZ.

Plus blood transfusion, Chest Tube Monitoring, Hemodynamic invasive monitoring, CPAP or Bi-Level support, Central Line IV acsess, Blood Gas Interpretation, Intrapartal assessment.

... hmm sounds more like a "Paramedic" to a Squint :P

Corrected list and I know you are just trying to pull my leg you funny little flightless bird but any Paramedic student worth their salt knows the diff dx. :fish:

AND I know this going to hurt ... WE have Maple Syrup issued to every Truck ! ... :wave:

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.