TSA Patdown of a 6 year old

Lone Star

This video was shot in New Orleans as a TSA agent pats down a 6 year old little girl. Needless to say, it's caused quite the stir online. The video has gone viral, and the parents are claiming that the patdown amounted to nothing more than a 'grope session'.

Is TSA taking this too far?

If TSA IS taking this 'too far', what would you suggest as a logical option/remedy?

Though I can't view the video from work (stupid filtering) I know the one you are talking about. While I am all for the searches in this particular case I feel they went too far. I mean you even hear the people complaining in the background.

I think people shouldn't be afraid of the full body scans, hell I have had them in my travels nothing but standing there with your arms raised and shoes off. Its some of the fear mongers that have spread the information that it "reveals" the body. I have seen the screen shots, its basically just your outline and body shows whitish no features other than what you are conceling. BTW carry your med cards if you have stents or other implants :rolleyes2:

As far as area airports that can't afford the fullbody scanners I think everyone gets searched within reason. I also feel EVERY agent needs to go through training with the local LEOs to LEARN how to pat down someone. I think some of these agents do get a little too touchy feely. I have been pat down by LEOs and never felt "violated" because they do an effective search but know where to stop there hands.

I think the problem is as with any profession, ours included, you get overzelous folks or folks with "complexes" that take things too far and ruin it for everyone else.

In this particular instance is was taken too far. BUT (isn't there always a but) there have been stories from overseas of folks strapping IEDs to children to pass checkpoints thinking they would be less likely to be searched. So yes sometimes little Suzie needs a pat down but not a groping.

Unbelievable ... based on the FACT that TSA has never identified ONE REAL terrorist ! Millions and millions of dollars for what, for no toothpaste, for no water bottles or nail clippers ? Does this do anything for confidence for national security. I guess I missed that this 6 year old has a suicide bomb strapped to her under a t shirt .

But asking to do a DRUG test is WAY over the top ... does the kid LOOK like a Crack addict ?

Side bar .. my best friend is a CAPTAIN with Air Canada (official ID around his neck) that's like 4 bars on his flight uniform epaulettes and a sub contracted security moron that could NOT speak English (btw he could not have got a job at Walmart as a greeter due lack of language skills)

BUT took his nail clippers away ! My friend looked at him and asked what are you fucking thinking I am going to Hi Jack my OWN airplane ? The crowd gathered watching ripped the moron security goof a new asshole .... PRICELESS.

That is assault on a minor plain and simple, there was no verbal consent by patents NOR by the child hell all of us in EMS are ask for verbal consent .. and this when there IS a history of injury or illness.

TSA your under Ambulance Arrest : You have the right to remain STOOPID.

late edit the father was a Doctor !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIaZMj2iUmY&feature=related

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 1

Here is the real kicker ... it gets even more twisted ?

Soo: If a supervisor directed YOU to do a secondary body survey on a minor when the PARENTS and the CHILD protested and with absolutely no reasonable cause ..

Would you as EMS provider actually do it ?

previso: No obvious injury .. meaning no grounds for SBS.

Rhetorical question:

We know we would be standing before an ethics group (minimum) and so would the supervisor or better the local LEO would be doing some security checks on both providers ... this is NO different in my books.

Oh... She's a terrorist alright.. Suburbanites strapping bombs to their tots! Haven't you ever seen The Burb's? They're out to get us! When we flew to Florida, the two nearest airports didn't even run us through security. Granted they were puddle jumper planes, why would they care if they lost one, eh? It'd be doing them a favor. I would find it very difficult to not make innuendo-soaked comments if someone were doing that to me. It'd probably be more satirical if it were a male TSA Officer.

sarcasm

Oh... She's a terrorist alright.. Suburbanites strapping bombs to their tots! Haven't you ever seen The Burb's? They're out to get us! When we flew to Florida, the two nearest airports didn't even run us through security. Granted they were puddle jumper planes, why would they care if they lost one, eh? It'd be doing them a favor. I would find it very difficult to not make innuendo-soaked comments if someone were doing that to me. It'd probably be more satirical if it were a male TSA Officer.

sarcasm

Yeah but you BEG the TSA for body cavity search's WE know you !

AND I would pay good money to hear your that "innuendo" and twisted comments from your lips.

I worship the Mayberry corners or was that Buzzard Junction ? that you walk on .

Humour wise speaking only.

cheers

I agree, this is excessive. But so is the entire TSA! I understand the need to feel safe, but here's my theory...

Prior to 9/11, most skyjackings were for the purpose of taking hostages and getting money. That's why nobody fought back. It wasn't worth getting hurt over. So the skyjacker had a box cutter? OK, they're going to land somewhere, demand a million dollars, and drive away then the cops will get them.

Post 9/11, there is NO WAY I can conceivably see a skyjacking to be successful. Citizens understand the risk, and, I think, would be willing to fight back should something like 9/11 ever be attempted again. Could a dozen terrorists take over a plane now? NO, I don't think they could. The would immediately be piled upon by the other 100+ people on the plane.

So, while REASONABLE security measures, such as metal detectors, bag scanners, explosive detectors, etc, are completely appropriate, the level of patting down and "full body scanning" is, IMHO, a complete waste of money, better spent elsewhere. I understand the premise that you could use a 6-year old to carry something they shouldn't be, the measures I suggest will catch 99.9% of it. Absolutely no need for these searches.

Post 9/11, there is NO WAY I can conceivably see a skyjacking to be successful. Citizens understand the risk, and, I think, would be willing to fight back should something like 9/11 ever be attempted again. Could a dozen terrorists take over a plane now? NO, I don't think they could. The would immediately be piled upon by the other 100+ people on the plane.

HUA ! I will go first .. please.

Did I forget to mention that *somewhere* there is a crash axe located in most cockpits and may god help the poor terrorist that broke into my friend's cockpit (the Captian with Air Cabbage) .. it would be swift and messy justice.

IMHO, a complete waste of money, better spent elsewhere.

Bing ! Hey they should have the TSA type's walk up to the control towers on a regular basis and bring coffee, just saying.

But asking to do a DRUG test is WAY over the top ... does the kid LOOK like a Crack addict ?

I don't believe the TSA has the capacity to test for drugs, even if they wanted to. The kid was getting an explosives residue swab, not a drug test. Not that I agree with either move.

Side bar .. my best friend is a CAPTAIN with Air Canada (official ID around his neck) that's like 4 bars on his flight uniform epaulettes and a sub contracted security moron that could NOT speak English (btw he could not have got a job at Walmart as a greeter due lack of language skills)

BUT took his nail clippers away ! My friend looked at him and asked what are you fucking thinking I am going to Hi Jack my OWN airplane ? The crowd gathered watching ripped the moron security goof a new asshole .... PRICELESS.

When going to Japan last time, they took the nail file from me -- the wheelchair bound disabled veteran with US passport and military ID. Then I get onto the plan, only to be sat next to a third country national, who clearly had four or five foot-long metal knitting needles sticking out of her bag. WTF, over?