Mother witholds cancer meds

Happiness

This artical was interesting. When I first read the heading I must admit I was a bit angry that a mother would do such a thing. So as I read the artical to the end I have to admit I dont think what she did was so wrong. So my questions I guess to this would be the following

1. Does this woman have other children and what is her relationship with them.

2. Just because a Dr. says you have to do something is it illegal to refuse a

Drs. advice.

3. As a parent where is line drawn to be the making the medical decisions for your child

4. Was this jury`s decision to convict based on the fact that the child was severly disabled and they thought that she just wanted the burden gone.

5. And last as a parent how much suffering must you endure watching your child go through, please remember it was the second bought of cancer.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42553209/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/

I read and heard this story this morning. At first I said to myself - Good riddens of a bad mother.

Then I thought more about it, after my knee jerk reaction to a emotion evoking story.

I said, 2nd bout of cancer, my loving child. If it was Liam or Gabby and the cancer had come back a second time. Seeing the suffering that they go thru what would I do?

Would I at all costs try to keep them alive just to keep my son or daughter in my life? Could I continue to watch them waste away and get worse and see their pain and suffering or would I choose to let them go in as painless a manner as possible?

What a thought process to go through.

I had a family with a 5 year old daughter who brought her into the eR. She was in the end stages of cancer and treatment had not helped. The family asked for a DNR order and I was really upset that they would let their child go.

The father told me this and I'll never forget it. I can't quote it completely but he said in essence we've had 5 years of love and laughter, hopes and dashed hopes, times of sorrow, times of death being near. I would never give those times up but I'm not signing this for myself or my wife, I'm signing this so my daughter can meet the end of her life with dignity and class. I do not want heroic measures to be done just so you guys can feel better about it nor do I want heroic measures so I can spend one more hour with her. I want her to see both her mother and father in the room with her instead of a bunch of people in white coats trying to keep her here.

in the end, the child passed away very peacefully in a private hospital room with her mom and dad holding her. I felt privelidged to have gotten to know the family enough that they invited me to say goodbye to her. What a honor.

So I am not sure what I would do in that particular situation. Would I fight for every minute left with my son or daughter or would I allow the disease to take it's natural course and cherish the time with my child? I have no idea because I have not had to face that and I hope I never do but if I do, I hope to have as much of an outlook as the father of that 5 year old girl.

Rest in peace Rebekkah

As a dad I don' t think I could stand watching my son or daughter go through such a thing. Know parent wants to see their child get sick let alone have cancer. I am not sure that it was right for the jurry to convict this mother as she is the parent and should have the last say as to what is best for her child. My question is, was the cancer treatable and was the child getting better? Maybe it was best for the child to take the meds and go through the side affects maybe?

I guess what bugs me is that I don't think it should have been left up to a jurry to decide if she was being a bad parent, Did they put themself in her shoes and think of what they would have done if this was their child?

As a dad I don' t think I could stand watching my son or daughter go through such a thing. Know parent wants to see their child get sick let alone have cancer. I am not sure that it was right for the jurry to convict this mother as she is the parent and should have the last say as to what is best for her child. My question is, was the cancer treatable and was the child getting better? Maybe it was best for the child to take the meds and go through the side affects maybe?

I guess what bugs me is that I don't think it should have been left up to a jurry to decide if she was being a bad parent, Did they put themself in her shoes and think of what they would have done if this was their child?

My understanding was that the cancer was treatable and the doctors said the child had a good chance.

That I think is why they convicted the mother. Not that she's a bad mother, I'm sure she did this out of love but by her choice the child died. Maybe he would have died anyway but I believe the majority of the doctors reviewing the case or even being those who were taking care of the child all said that the child stood a good chance of remission.

They convicted her because of that testimony, I can understand the juries thoughts where you had a bunch of medical experts who said the child more than likely would have survived with treatment yet the mother prevented that treatment and thus in the end her child died.

Sad all around if you ask me.

Cancer doesn't discriminate. Its a horrible disease and a horrible death for ones who's cancer has metastisized...

just a point of clarification; Had this childs cancer metastisized? Was this terminal? That is not my understanding at this time.

When it is terminal, I am actually a Dr. Jack Kevorkian movement supporter. I am just not sure this is the same thing....

Treatable is NOT the same as curable. Yes, this disease IS treatable AND often curable, but not always. I lost a good friend to this disease a few years back.

Tough call for sure. This child was severely autistic and developmentally delayed as well. Couple that with the cancer? Sounds like mom was overwhelmed with her situation.

I hope I will never be placed in a position to ever have to make such a decision but I do know I will do what I think is best for my child- whatever the personal cost.