Looking to Relocate

Hello all, looking for a little help. My wife and I are planning on moving south. We are looking at the greater Richmond area in Virginia. There are several services I have looked into and am interested in applying to. I have a little problem though.

Virginia requires NREMT for reciprocity. My Paramedic school, while it is considered an NREMT test site, hasn't conducted a NREMT practical in a while. The school is under a lot of pressure not to assist us in getting our National Registry, I think, from the local commercial agencies who are already having trouble staffing, so they don't want us too "mobile." Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm about 13 months out from my NYS test date, I know NREMT allows you up to 2 years after completing your original class to test. I don't mind driving to take the practical if I have to, but I certainly don't want to drive 12 hours and then have to retest.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Hello all, looking for a little help. My wife and I are planning on moving south. We are looking at the greater Richmond area in Virginia. There are several services I have looked into and am interested in applying to. I have a little problem though.

Virginia requires NREMT for reciprocity. My Paramedic school, while it is considered an NREMT test site, hasn't conducted a NREMT practical in a while. The school is under a lot of pressure not to assist us in getting our National Registry, I think, from the local commercial agencies who are already having trouble staffing, so they don't want us too "mobile." Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm about 13 months out from my NYS test date, I know NREMT allows you up to 2 years after completing your original class to test. I don't mind driving to take the practical if I have to, but I certainly don't want to drive 12 hours and then have to retest.

Thanks for your help

Chris

Where in the northeast are you currently? That would help in finding a practical exam site.

Where in the northeast are you currently? That would help in finding a practical exam site.

Haha, I'm smart, sorry. I'm in Rochester NY. The closest scheduled exam on the NREMT website is I think NYC. That's over a 6 hour drive for me unfortunately. If I have to do it, I have to do it, it'll just suck is all :(

I know there is one in Smithfield NC at on June 25th. I will check on Monday when I attend another module for my Paramedic refresher class which will enable me to take my registry test, if there are any requirements for others not taking the class. I don't believe there is, but I don't want to provide false information. I might be mistaken, but I believe Richmond to Smithfield is about 3, 31/2 hrs.

Call NREMT regarding testing availability. They can tell you when there are tests either in your area or in areas you're willing to which you're willing to travel. They can also provide contact information for the test coordinator for that site.

I think there are NR tests available on a very regular basis in New Hampshire. It would be a bit of a drive from Rochester. But if I remember correctly there's a test at least once a month or so in NH. That might be well worth your while.

Good luck.

ETA: It just hit me... if your school is a NR testing center then make them test you. You've paid for the training. You've paid for the class time. You'll be paying for the exam. Why should they care if you're "mobile" or not?

Lean on them and get them to test you. If, for whatever reason, they won't then the options I listed above may help.

Edited by paramedicmike

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm confused. I just left my message for the "reciprocity packet". My understanding from other threads that its on a case by case basis in virginia. So have you recently went through it? Do they require National Registry for Reciprocity? I hope not because mine has lapsed. Thanks for the info!

According the the Virginia Reciprocity packet I have on my desk, you need two things to obtain Virginia certification. (1) current, valid National Registry certification and (2) a current Virginia address or employer. I've obtained my NR and am waiting to submit the packet until I have a job offer, or an address. As soon as either my wife or I have a job offer we're gonna be moving.

Nope, in VA you need Registry. I would do one of 2 things....

1. Petition the course director to hold a NR test, or come to NYC.

The other thing you can do is to move and then test in Richmond.... If you find yourself outsdie the 2 year window, take a VA. refresher that is NR approved, and then take the registry test afterwards.

I tested in NYC for NR after taking a NYC refresher... The other thing is to get a hotel room in NYC and make a vacation weekend of the whole thing...

good luck, let us know what you decide

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.