Pedi-Mate and Stryker Stretchers

Pedi-Mate and Stryker Stretchers  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use?

• Pedi-Mate on Ferno Cot
    • Pedi-Mate on Stryker cot (NO RETENTION CLIPS)
    • Pedi-Mate on Stryker (With Retention clips)
    • We don't use a Pedi-Mate

So I recently discovered a few things about EMS cots that can be a little disturbing to all of us.

Ferno's Pedi-Mate EMS Child restraint device can be used on a Stryker Stretcher only of the Stryker Produced retention hooks are purchased and mounted on the cot back rest (near piston) using the predrilled holes. The hooks are to keep the pedi-mate from slipping on/off the cot during a collision.

Here are some problems:

1. Most services don't know this
  2. Most services won't purchase them
  3. Ferno won't warrantee / guarantee Pedi-Mate if put on Stryker cot
  4. Stryker legal Dept says they won't get involved in this legal issue (even tho they sell the retention hooks)

On to the next issue:

Both Stryker and Ferno reported that EMS cots and Stair Chairs MUST be taken out of service and deemed un-usable if an ambulance is in MVA.

They stated based on the particular EMS cot and stair chair you have there are crash force parameters that will deem them O.O.S. I recall she said something like 800lbs of force but I don't recall.

They state that cot and stair chair must be added to the insurance claim and they will not inspect and sign the cots off as usable.

This can get very costly to our insurance rates and for smaller services could cause issues when the ambulance is in a minor collision. Stryker and Ferno report that there have been legal cases where police reports were summoned for an ambulances accident history and the EMS cots came into question. If you’re like our service with multiple units we regularly do stretcher swaps and tracking a cot assigned to a vehicle is almost impossible.

So in closing we have added the stretcher and stair chair serial numbers to our daily check sheets should an issue arise in the future.

This was just some info I was passing on and comments, better and/or corrected information is greatly appreciated.

Interesting... I hadn't realised that there were issues with the Pedi-Mate on Stykers. Do you have a link to any details from Ferno or Stryker? I'd like to be able to pass it along.

Our on-board child seat is built directly into the captains chair. I've found through expirience and troubleshooting, that it's best to - if possible - develop a small bond of trust with a child. Then just either fully (crash/fall) immobilize them in our LSP Pedi Immobilizer, or just secure their arms, legs, head and torso. You can still completely assess them, it's fluid resistant, there's no squirming, no hitting. They don't fight as much. Give them a toy, it was usually an oxygen bear (they were free.. And they're usually happy. If they're sick, as most kids are, we get very few BS pedi calls out here in the sticks. I know they're secure as can be, and not going anywhere... and if it does come to CPR, it's a rigid device. It doesn't restrict their airway, allows for some movement if necessary, doesn't restrict IV access, etc. Keeps anyone too small for standard stretcher straps in place, safely. The reason we do this, is we've had a Pedi-Mate, which we had with Ferno stretchers, and switched to a Stryker Rugged, and couldn't make it fit snugly.

ALH-000484.jpg

Edit: Added picture

Edited by 2c4

There are weight restrictions on the captain chair car seats also.

The pedi-mate is for smaller kids to light weight to fit into the captains chair car seat.

Other issues are newborns ...technically they should be in a side mount basket but as you all know in EMS mom is on the coy and we have her hold the baby usually this poses a huge risk if in am MVA. I wonder what a field day lawyers would have with that!!

These are just some considerations we should all think about for the future and future purchase if ambulances an equipment.

Michael - "Medic One"

FF/Paramedic, EMS-Instructor

Pace / Medical Car Driver Lime Rock Park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 6 years later...
On 3/30/2011 at 2:02 PM, Medic One said:

Other issues are newborns ...technically they should be in a side mount basket but as you all know in EMS mom is on the coy and we have her hold the baby usually this poses a huge risk if in am MVA. I wonder what a field day lawyers would have with that!!

These are just some considerations we should all think about for the future and future purchase if ambulances an equipment.

Michael - "Medic One"

FF/Paramedic, EMS-Instructor

Pace / Medical Car Driver Lime Rock Park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please.... Please don't ever let that happen in your ambulances folks. I have a thread going : Lets continue this conversation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.