...I got bronchitis!

Bieber

So I went to the doctor's today after battling a cough for about a month. The NP had a listen to my lungs and checked out my nose and throat and said I got bronchitis and pharyngitis. Put me on Keflex, prednisone, and promethazine with codeine plus I got a shot of prednisone in the ass right there. They said I'd be good to go back to work on Thursday, but that I should try to rest up till then.

So, that's what I got happening on the personal side. I think this is actually the sickest I've ever been (though I think that steroid shot is already helping), which I count myself fortunate for. My brother got pretty much the same treatment plus an albuterol inhaler when he came down with pneumonia about a month ago.

So I went to the doctor's today after battling a cough for about a month. The NP had a listen to my lungs and checked out my nose and throat and said I got bronchitis and pharyngitis. Put me on Keflex, prednisone, and promethazine with codeine plus I got a shot of prednisone in the ass right there. They said I'd be good to go back to work on Thursday, but that I should try to rest up till then.

So, that's what I got happening on the personal side. I think this is actually the sickest I've ever been (though I think that steroid shot is already helping), which I count myself fortunate for. My brother got pretty much the same treatment plus an albuterol inhaler when he came down with pneumonia about a month ago.

Feel better, dude. One of the benefits of working in this business is you generally develop a pretty healthy immune system. My entire family(wife and kids) has gone through bouts of strep, URI's, and simple colds over the last 6 months or so.

Not even a sniffle from me.

Echoing Herbie

My wife spent two days in the hospital for URI and hyperemesis with the pregnancy

My daughter went to the er not once but twice, once for ear infection at midnight and the 2nd visit same time but this time she had croup. (all in one week), and then she developed a rash from the amoxicillin she was taking and that visit she spent at her doctors office.

My son spent one evening in the ER with a fever of 104.5 and ended up with Bronchitis

Me, not a sniffle, cough, retch, rash, or any other problem.

The minute I return to Florida, today, I have a cough and a fever. Could I have gotten sick at home to keep it at home and also enjoy the 30 degree weather with the snow and rain, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have to go to sunny florida to get sick. The sickness gods have a sick sense of humor.

At least I am sitting in a quiet office, drinking fluids and just a flight of stairs to the ED Fasttrack where I have a good relationship with the fast track docs, if I get sick.

Sickness gods, you are a fickle bitch.

That's what you get for sucking face with the folks you transport in the back of your ambulance! Building up your immunities is all fine and dandy...but there's a line...Just sayin'...

Dwayne

That's what you get for sucking face with the folks you transport in the back of your ambulance! Building up your immunities is all fine and dandy...but there's a line...Just sayin'...

Dwayne

Kids....you'd think that there would come a day when we didnt have to tell them every step to take (or in this case, not to take).....obviously I've been proven wrong once again... :rolleyes:

Hey, me too! 'Cept I get it every spring. Goes with the territory of being asthmatic, I think. I am so sorry you have bronchitis, it is so farking painful...

Steroids making you feel weird at all? My heart races, I can't sit still, and I have super weird dreams... it's the worst when I've gotten IV solumedrol for asthma flares. Make sure you taper the prednisone off! So bad for your body if you don't. Some medic in this thread, who shall at present remain nameless, had himself a bronchospastic attack and got IV 'roids and then never filled his prednisone scrip... let's just say I spent a little time chewin' on him... ;)

I'm to the point where I've had it so frequently that I don't even bother going to the doc unless I hack up green fuzzies for more than 3 consecutive days... not worth the side effects of antibis unless it reaches that point. Though, I'm starting to wonder if I'm developing pleuritis again... have chest pain in the same place I had it before, and it's super nasty painful... only reason I'm not panicking about it being cardiac is it changes when I breathe and move... (it sent me in for a 12 lead a couple years back, had a syncopal episode with no warning signs and pain above my left breast back when I was in undergrad in MI.)

Here is hoping you feel better soon! I find that pounding fluids, especially hot tea, and sitting in a hot shower really helps.

--Wendy

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! I'm not a big fan of taking meds unless I absolutely have to, but after a month without relief I figured I might as well go to the docs and let them pump me full of antibiotics and steroids and who knows what else. Ten days of Keflex, nine days of prednisone, I'm probably not going to take the codeine since the cough hasn't really been keeping me up at night; I'm gonna take some Mucinex though. Been trying to drink a lot of fluids.

Wendy, I woke up last night and noticed my heart rate was kind of high and I had some trouble getting back to sleep and I felt pretty fatigued all day yesterday. Other than that, my only other complaint is a headache that I've been nursing all day today. Tomorrow I drop the dosage in prednisone from two pills to one, and I stay with one pill for three days and then a half a pill for four days and then I'm done. By the way, Keflex smells horrible and leaves your breath the same. Just sayin'.

Ruff, sorry to hear about your wife, your kids, and yourself! Hope you get to feeling better soon. I definitely prefer to be on the provider side of illness.

I had a migraine in reaction to Macrobid that I took recently. Won't take Macrobid again- I thought I was going to die. I never get migraines, is part of it.

My lesson there was a shot of phenergan and a shot of NSAIDs in the butt. Lucky me!

I really hope it goes away soon and you feel better!!! Really hoping! Poor fella.

--Wendy

Must be a really low dose of Prednisone. How do you find that working with the EMS routine? I was prescribed Pred. for uber severe seasonal allergies. I took it for two days, then went back on call. The dose was 3 pills, four times a day. I found that it was NOT compatible with EMS. First dose was fine, till about an hour later; we had a call. It involved some pretty heavy lifting, moving around rapidly. Apparently this changed me from a puffy pink, to a corpse-white color w/ profuse sweating, which passed fairly quick and then I was fine. However when I took the noon dose, I rested, felt fine and went about cleaning. Lifted an on board cylinder up in, and again, pale, sweating, dizzy, nausea, near-syncope. Took a couple days. Every morning, same thing, any exertion after taking the Prednisone, and I had profound hypotension. Weened myself off and went with OTC Zyrtec, works perfectly fine.