Stethoscope For Clinicals

Hello all,

Currently in the second semester of my paramedic program and have recently started doing my clinicals. One vital piece of equipment that I quickly realized I am missing is a stethoscope! Yes, nurses will usually let me borrow theirs, but I feel like a moocher for asking, and I think it would just be easier to have my own.

Is it possible to get something decent for ~$50? Ideally I just need something to last me for the rest of the year through clinicals, afterwhich I can upgrade to something high quality if necessary.

Thanks!

Hello all,

Currently in the second semester of my paramedic program and have recently started doing my clinicals. One vital piece of equipment that I quickly realized I am missing is a stethoscope! Yes, nurses will usually let me borrow theirs, but I feel like a moocher for asking, and I think it would just be easier to have my own.

Is it possible to get something decent for ~$50? Ideally I just need something to last me for the rest of the year through clinicals, afterwhich I can upgrade to something high quality if necessary.

Thanks!

There are those that will tell you to splurge and get a Littmann, and there are others who will tell you to 'go cheap' and get a sprague style for your clinicals.

You can pick up the sprague style for about $20.00 at any uniform supply store.

While I've heard outstanding reviews about Littmann stethoscopes, I just can't see spending $100.00 or more to own a stethoscope that will be bounced around in the back of a rig, and that my scope of practice will not allow me to use it to it's full potential.

How do you get to your second semester of paramedic school and not realize you need a stethoscope? Wasn't there an equipment list provided by your program that outlined what you will need? And you're just realizing now that mooching off the nurses is bad?

Wow.

If you're seriously looking to spend less than $50 with the intention on upgrading if you need to once school is done, then I agree the $20 Sprague stethoscope will suit your needs. I'd even argue the $20 Sprague will suit your needs well beyond paramedic school.

I agree with the other posters - do not rush out and buy an expensive stethoscope right off the bat.

Initially, a Sprague will do you well, as a starter stethoscope. I started with one, and I still have it, and use it. I also have a Littman and a Prestige, and anotehr one that I can't remember the name of right now.

THe only problem I have with my Sprague, is I have to remember to hold it very still, as the double lumen does cause some extra noise when the tubes move against each other.

I like my Prestige - a good quality stethoscope, that was $48. The reason I bought that one (and yes, this is a very girly reason) is because a nurse that I know had a red one, and I wanted a red stetho. I asked her about hers, and she let me try it.

I also have a Littman. Put it on your Christmas list - you never know who may be silly enough to spend that much money on one for you (my husband bought mine).

Ask the people you work with what they like about their stetho's and what they don't. You said you have borrowed from the nurses - what did you like about their stethoscopes, and what didn't you like?

Thanks for the help everyone - I appreciate the tips and suggestions! Looks like I'll be tracking down a $20 Sprague later this week.

As for, "How could you let this happen?!" - I'm sorry to disappoint. It was an oversight on my part which has left me unprepared. I suffered for it during my first weekend of clinicals and am now correcting the issue.

Kila make a good scope for beginning. You can hear without worrying about taping the sprague together (The tubes rub but they can be had for $15.00)

ADC also makes a very nice scope..price just marginally less than Littman. Sprague is a fine piece if you just take your time and learn.

The kila site

Edited by ccmedoc

Initially, a Sprague will do you well, as a starter stethoscope.

I like my Prestige - a good quality stethoscope, that was $48. The reason I bought that one (and yes, this is a very girly reason) is because a nurse that I know had a red one, and I wanted a red stetho. I asked her about hers, and she let me try it.

I also have a Littman.

I wanted a red one, too. so I got a red Littman. it's alright.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.