Loaded post: Problems passing Platinum CAT (Limmer/O'Keefe book) - Please help! - Thanks in advance!

Hi all:

MY EMT-B program requires me to pass the Platinum Computer Adaptive Testing (www.emscat.com). I've taken it twice, and failed both times. The first time, I will admit, was the result of poor preparation. I just completed all the coursework, and quickly reviewed the book and took the exam. The second time is another story. I read the book cover to cover. I've completed all the questions in the end of each chapter, practiced, and did well on all the online quizzes on EMTB (www.emtb.com). I thought I knew the material well! Even after all the preparing, my scores on the Platinum CAT for EMT-B were all in only the high 50%'s! Having earned a college degree, I have very good study habits and am not stupid or lazy by any means. I am not trying to discount EMT programs, but after taking advanced science and highly-skilled courses, it seems that it should not be a problem.

The questions on the PCAT were nothing like those in Limmer/EMTB. I came to two conclusions:

1.) The book I am using, is outdated and things may have changed. I am using the book "Emergency Care" by Limmer/O'Keefe, 10th edition (2005). I spoke with someone in the program, and they stated the current class is using the same book. Is there a different book I should use to prepare me for the exam?

2.) The questions in the Limmer/EMTB quizzes are different than those of the PCAT. Does anyone know where I can practice questions similar to those of the PCAT? The ones of Limmer/EMTB are much shorter and almost none of them are scenario based.

*** With that being said, does anyone have any tips for me?

*** What can I study to specifically pass the PCAT?

*** If I need to purchase material (i.e. additional online questions) does anyone want to split the cost with me (I can send funds, if you have one, or can accept if you want to split)?

*** What material would you suggest?

*** Is there any program out there that would give me instant feedback with detailed answers?

Thanks in advance!

TPRO123

I'm not exactly sure what it is the PCAT is since I cannot actually log into the site unless I want to purchase an account...which I don't. However, I think it is like the fisdap exam that my program required us to pass. I believe fisdap is free...it's a great study tool. This is what my program used as our final exam and it's a great way to see how good your chances are at passing the NREMT. If you log onto fisdap.net you should be able to take their practice exams and use their study tools for free. This should help you with your PCAT as well.

Also, if you prefer a book, I would highly recommend anything from Pearson. I have always had great experiences with Pearson and they offer a lot of great online study tools as well. You can try pearson.net as well.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

When I took my EMT-B/EMT-I, we used Brady's Emergency Care 11th Edition (Limmer/O'Keefe)

bec11e_full.jpg

This was our EMT-I book (Bledsoe, Porter, Cherry, Snyder):

0136140475.jpg

I would be willing to bet that the PCAT is very similar to the NREMT exam.

*Edited to add second image*

Edited by Lone Star

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.