Stressing about testing

Hi all,

Im 3 and a half months into my 6 month EMT-B class and im really beginning worry about the national registry test and the practical exams at the end of class. I have a 92% in the class as of now but i just feel lost at times, others i know who have taken emt-b or emt-s classes say that it just clicks after awhile....well it hasnt really clicked for me and im beginning to wonder if it ever will. I mean there are some people who are book smart in the class but in the field i think they would be a danger to patients, themselfs and others, i dont think im that way at all. I know what to do but i dont know what somethings are called or what the damn acronmyns mean like SAMPLE or in what order things in a assesment should be done (but i still get them all) and i think that i may not get certfied because of that, thats very dis hearting to me knowing that people who have better booksmarts than me but have no business being near anyone in distress will get certifed and maybe not me. I know I can do the job its just a matter of making it though all the testing. I just feel like im kind of in a rut right now in my schooling and im not sure how to get out of it any thoughts?

First order of business is to stop, take a deep breath, hold it for a 3 count and exhale slowly... (Feel free to resume breathing at a slower rate at any time.).

The acronyms you're being taught right now are simply to teach you to cover all your bases when it comes to assessment. Once you get a handle on them, you can put the acronyms on the shelf. You CAN create your own acronyms and pneumonics, just as long as you stick to the concept of what they're trying to get you to remember.

There is no 'absolute, written in stone, sealed in concrete method' of patient assessment. After you've been in the field for a while, you will develop your own particular style. This is acceptable, as long as your 'style' covers all the bases.

Are you in a study group? Those work well for simply because it gives you a chance outside of class to practice patient assessment, and treatments. Repetition breeds familiarity, and with familiarity comes competence.

You're only half way through your classes, don't panic because your 'Aha! moment' hasn't happened yet. Not all 'Aha! moments' show up with a bolt of lightning and a chorus of angels singing "Hallelujah".

EMT-B is just that, BASIC. It's not rocket science here, its the absolute basic building blocks for the higher licenses.

I agree, take a deep breath.

I found my weakness is in the body parts. You could talk to me about them, I could talk about them in class, etc, but when it came to test time and I saw it on paper, I was lost. So I printed out all the body systems I could think of and put them on my bedroom wall.

Every morning and every night, I look at all of them and go over them a few times. Nothing more than a minute or two. When I have a test and it asks about a specific body part, I draw it and label what I remember. I add the functions if I can recall it too. It's helped my test taking points by about 10 %.

You could do the same with the acronmyns. It doesn't have to be on your bedroom wall, put it on a milk carton, hang each letter on a clothes hanger in your closet, etc.

Also, I feel overwhelmed at times too. Being a "victim" for others taking the NRemt test helped me a lot. I've also posted a website from my course book that has flash cards and quizes that are free for all. I believe it also has diagrams. Those may be of assistance. (It's actually the thread below this one.) It also has a free for all study guide to the NRemt exam.

Another funny thing that helped, when I watch movies or TV shows where someone is hurt, I sometimes imagine if I were the EMT on scene. Also, read up on the senarios and play with the senarios on the site here. I amazed myself on how well I did with one! Not perfect, but really helped me put some confidence in my game.

Hopefully some of this will help. Don't feel too bad. I'm in a class where I'm with all college students and I'm a good 10 years older them... at least.

I can't assist too much with the assessment myself because I'm still a little on a few things but hopefully after my ride a long tonight, it will be a little more clear. I'd rather give you no information than wrong information. :withstupid:

"What do you call the kid who graduated last in Med School?" -Doctor.

-MetalMedic

Edited by MetalMedic

Best advice I can give is to study your sheet. If you know the protocol, and you just follow the protocol, you should do well on the practical tests. As for the NR, I bought one of the study guides and that really helped. Anatomy was kind of tough for me too, and I found flash cards to be helpful.

Hope this helps.

Chris "Stiches" Johnson

When I was taking my EMT-B course, the instructors would always tell us that your pillow is your best patient. While it may not talk back to you and give you feedback, it is something that allows you to practice your skills without the stress of an instructor breathing down your neck. If your patient assessment skills are what you are struggling with, honestly try physically doing the assessment on a pillow or something similar and just get the feel for what it is like. Read your skills sheet as you actually do the assessment. This will help you commit it to memory. Once you get the motions memorized, all of the verbal questioning and critical thinking skills necessary to do a great assessment will follow. Right now you are probably thinking too much about the motions to even start thinking about questioning your patient, so this may be a good way to start.

And as someone else said, be a patient. If you ever get the chance to be a volunteer victim somewhere, do it! I did this a few times before I took my NREMT and it really helped to solidify the knowledge and the thought process needed to treat a patient.

As for the exam itself, just breath. Think about all the possible options before you look at any of the answers given (if it's multiple choice). You are still learning the information. Don't expect to know everything right now. You are only half way through and still have a long way to go. This is a career in which you will never know everything, and will never stop learning. But make the mistakes now in the classroom, so you don't make them when you have a real patient. Ask lots of questions and make your own mnemonics and acronyms if you need to in order to remember the ones the instructor is giving you now. Patient assessments are difficult, that is why we are given these mnemonics when we are learning. But they don't necessarily work for everyone. So just don't stress...at least not yet. If you get to the end of your program and are still feeling totally lost, then start to worry. There are a lot of great study materials out there. Lots of A&P coloring books that also give detailed descriptions on the physiology that may also help. Borders or Barnes and Nobles are great stores to look at if you have any in your area.

Good luck with everything!

• 3 months later...

I just got my license at the begining of the summer and passed my test the first time in 70 questions. Here is my best advice.

Sit front and center in lectures. During skills practice go second. Watch the first people go through and listen really well. While they are doing it make a mental list of things you would change and then take note of what the instructor says. ALWAYS volunteer to be a patient!! You learn a whole lot by obseving and feeling what people are missing or what they do that you wouldn't think of.

For the practical. Relax !!! It's really easy. Just study the sheets and be sure to ask every question. Patient care and protocol is the most important thing.

For the nremt. Study hard. If you can't answer any question someone asks you in class or at least critical think your way through the best thing to do is study study study. Always go ABCs first (or CAB if that is what you are learning now).

Good luck! If you are getting a 92% in class you will do great. Nothing ever clicked with me. I still feel like I don't know everything I should, but I've been told that half the learning game happens in the feild!

No worries!!

• 1 month later...

It doesn't matter if you are taking NREMT-B or NREMT-P, always remember that Airway, Breathing, and Circulation ALWAYS come first. Study, study, study! I bought study books and I passed and did well. Like loner said BREATHE!!! I was the same way when I took NREMT-P and I did fine. You need to be confident (not cocky).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.