Website to help study

Hi Everyone,

We currently use the book: AAOS 10th edition Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured in our EMT-B class.

I have discovered they have a wonderful website. If you use this book there is a silver scratch off bar on the front cover that has an access code for full access to the website.

Even if you don't use this book there is a free section that has quizzes and "flash cards" that may help you prepare for your test as well. I've also found that reading the senarios on this site helps too.

Granted I haven't taken the test yet, but I see everyone asking where they can study and I thought this may help. I use it a couple of times a week to make sure I'm caught up and following the lessons.

-MetalMedic

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it is against NREMT guidelines or whatever to show questions from their tests, even discussing the test and what happens is kind of against the rules.

I have several books I got for my paramedic class and the questions in there were nothing like what was asked of me on the NREMT exam. Basically what it did was helped me study questions and information. From what I had gathered from my test was they like to ask more questions of common sense combined with knowledge through your course. Like, "what would you do first" "which is more appropriate" stuff like that. You may see 3 or 4 correct answers, but one is more correct than others.

Never read into the questions, base your answer ONLY off of what information is given to you in the question. Never assume something in a patient scenario.. if it doesn't say something, don't consider it in your answer.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, it is against NREMT guidelines or whatever to show questions from their tests, even discussing the test and what happens is kind of against the rules.

I have several books I got for my paramedic class and the questions in there were nothing like what was asked of me on the NREMT exam. Basically what it did was helped me study questions and information. From what I had gathered from my test was they like to ask more questions of common sense combined with knowledge through your course. Like, "what would you do first" "which is more appropriate" stuff like that. You may see 3 or 4 correct answers, but one is more correct than others.

Never read into the questions, base your answer ONLY off of what information is given to you in the question. Never assume something in a patient scenario.. if it doesn't say something, don't consider it in your answer.

Good, solid test taking advice. I think too often people get tripped up when they read too much into exams- especially these national types. As you say, do not assume anything more than is given in the question. It's easy to overthink these things- you have a head full of facts, figures, and knowledge, and you need to know how to parse it down and properly apply that data to the questions. Unless it's an essay type. stick with the facts presented. Test taking for standardized and national test exams really is in many ways an art- generally different than the exams and quizzes you take to get you to that point.

• Like 1

It think that it's cool as hell that you took the time to do this...Truly in the Spirit of the City.

When do you take the test?

The true secret of the test? Read carefully, decide what you THINK they're asking YOU and then discard that and give the answer that you believe your retarded great dane would give...you'll be golden.

Truly, people get all jammed up on the CBT because they really want to believe that they are trying to cull some of the less intelligent people..but they're not. They're making money. They want to know who can remember the simplest answers from their textbooks. If you find that you're thinking, "Ah Ha! Thought you tricked me didn't you, you shithead!!" You're screwed...it's not that kind of test...

Thanks again for taking the time to post the study site...

Dwayne

• Like 2

It think that it's cool as hell that you took the time to do this...Truly in the Spirit of the City.

When do you take the test?

The true secret of the test? Read carefully, decide what you THINK they're asking YOU and then discard that and give the answer that you believe your retarded great dane would give...you'll be golden.

Truly, people get all jammed up on the CBT because they really want to believe that they are trying to cull some of the less intelligent people..but they're not. They're making money. They want to know who can remember the simplest answers from their textbooks. If you find that you're thinking, "Ah Ha! Thought you tricked me didn't you, you shithead!!" You're screwed...it's not that kind of test...

Thanks again for taking the time to post the study site...

Dwayne

Dammit, Dwayne!

Spit my Diet Pepsi all over my lap top. You better hope my keyboard doesn't get gummed up or you are getting a bill...

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

We currently use the book: AAOS 10th edition Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured in our EMT-B class.

I have discovered they have a wonderful website. If you use this book there is a silver scratch off bar on the front cover that has an access code for full access to the website.

Even if you don't use this book there is a free section that has quizzes and "flash cards" that may help you prepare for your test as well. I've also found that reading the senarios on this site helps too.

Granted I haven't taken the test yet, but I see everyone asking where they can study and I thought this may help. I use it a couple of times a week to make sure I'm caught up and following the lessons.

-MetalMedic

Thanks for the website, bookmarked for later. :)

It's not NREMT specific, but a website for the book we use in class. It's got a lot of terms and study guides and what not in it.

The true secret of the test? Read carefully, decide what you THINK they're asking YOU and then discard that and give the answer that you believe your retarded great dane would give...you'll be golden

Yeah I've done the national tests before (not for the NREMT, but for other things) and nothing is ever text book, but I thought that sharing the site MAY help with terms, and practicals. And your process is correct.

-MetalMedic

• 1 month later...

My Paramedic Instructor broke the NREMT down like this:

It's not so much the 'textbook answers' that they're looking for, they're testing your ability to do 'critical thinking and apply logic' to the scenarios they give.

It's kind of like algebra class, it's not so much of actually finding out what x2-2x-8 actually equals, it's more about building your critical thinking skills...

BTW:

x2-2x-8

x2-2x-8=0

(x+2)(x-4)=0

x=-2, x=4

:showoff::icecream::wacko::wtf2:

My Paramedic Instructor broke the NREMT down like this:

It's not so much the 'textbook answers' that they're looking for, they're testing your ability to do 'critical thinking and apply logic' to the scenarios they give.

It's kind of like algebra class, it's not so much of actually finding out what x2-2x-8 actually equals, it's more about building your critical thinking skills...

BTW:

x2-2x-8

x2-2x-8=0

(x+2)(x-4)=0

x=-2, x=4

:showoff::icecream::wacko::wtf2:

I don't think that I could disagree with this any more than I do....

Try to flex your critical thinking muscles on the NR-CBT and you will be completely fucked from the first question. They have no interest in whether or not you can solve problems, or think your way out of a bad situation, they are simply testing your ability to regurgitate the information you were taught in class. They have no interest in whether or not your are a good medic!!! You really, really have to believe that or you will be looking for intelligent questions aimed at intelligent people and either be disappointed, or read stuff that's not really there. Truly.

I would gladly, and I mean this whole heartedly, allow Ugly (A shithead Basic...a real asshat) to take my test for me next time and not worry one little bit about the result.

ABC. That is the answer to 85% of the questions...

Don't tell them I gave away their super secret answers....

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.