Uncomfortable with cultural issues class

Eydawn

It is not classified as such only because we live in a politically correct time, in all other periods of time it has been recognized as a treatable mental illness.

And in all other periods being black has been considered a physical deformity worthy of being classified as a lesser human and punishable by death. Funny how you scream we should treat African Americans with all sort of respect but have no problems referring to women with derogatory terms such as "chicks". Do as I say, not as I do. As for being racist, if I go out and get drunk, meet some minority woman and sleep with her that night with no intention of ever speaking to her again, does that make me not racist? I married a woman who is half Hispanic and half black (her words), but you'll probably say I only did that because of my white guilt.

Edited by ERDoc
  • Like 1

Why are people giving the argument that who one chooses to have sex with dictates one's status as a racist or not? To argue that because an individual of one ethnic background doesn't or won't have sex with someone of another ethnic background is imbicilic.

We *know* Crotchity is a troll of the most moronic kind. Yet people are taking his reasoning regarding racism being related to one's sex life as some sort of serious argument. And they're validating his argument by offering answers specific to his argument.

Why?

Who one chooses to have sex with, or not have sex with, has nothing to do with one's views on race, racism and race relations. It's a much deeper rooted social/moral position than simply a sexual view of an individual.

Sorry you are wrong, the fact that you will not sleep with someone based simply on skin color is the most basic barometer of how racist you are or are not. I realize it is painfull for the racist to admit, but it is true. There is no other action that more clearly defines how you feel about the other races; if they are not good enough for you to date, then you clearly feel your race is superior. Funny, the crickets are still chirping. There have been 4 or 5 non-racist who have stepped forward, the rest of the room must clearly be racist. Call your mom and tell them you are considering dating a black person, lets see what happens

• Like 1

I have too, America does not allow for black heros, only white. I challenge you to name 5 black heros that whites look up to besides Bill Cosby and MLK (most do not look up to either, but that is as close as you will get).

When you fail at that, give me the initials of 5 black people that you can name whom you have had dinner in their home. Crickets sure are loud this week.

I have too, America does not allow for black heros, only white. I challenge you to name 5 black heros that whites look up to besides Bill Cosby and MLK (most do not look up to either, but that is as close as you will get).

When you fail at that, give me the initials of 5 black people that you can name whom you have had dinner in their home. Crickets sure are loud this week.

Guion Bluford

Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Benjamin Banneker

James Smith

James Earl Jones

UR

AN

AS

SH

OL

• Like 1

I can think of plenty of black guys I admire and respect- including a former boss. I'd also bet the famous ones on my list wouldn't even register on your radar.

They do not use race as a crutch, they do not play victim, and they obtained their relative levels of success via hard work- just like everyone else.

What does it take to get banned here anymore. Since when do we allow this kind of nonsense on a professional forum.

I have never been so offended, or turned off of this site.

C'mon admin..... get a grip here :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Report him. See what happens.

I know Admin doesn't take the issue of banning members lightly. Nor should he take it lightly. But if ever there was a member up for consideration...

eta: spacing error

Edited by paramedicmike

So, trying to get slightly back on topic, Wendy I also would have been uncomfortable with the skits. I doubt that your instructor had bad intensions, but acting out the skit as you said, reinforces the stereotypes. While it is important to point out some cultural norms, such as "religious muslims" (not, not all middle easterners) are typically very modest, or how many cultural groups have a different concept of time, different then our American idea of everything being at an exact time and punctuality essential. Perhaps they could have given you suggestion for how to deal with different issues that may come up while dealing with people of different ethnicities.

Also important is learning politically correct terms for 'labeling' different groups. People don't typically mean badly, they are just ignorant of correct terms. Now that I have said that, I am pretty sure I have pointed this out before, but Oriental is NOT the term you want to be using, it is Asian.