EMS Defensive Tactics/Martial Arts

EMT12

But making martial arts training mandatory is silly. Focus on how to make the patient better NOT worse.

I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning. There are very few martial arts that are strictly offensive. Hell, even boxing includes some rudimentary defence. So let's not stereotype "martial arts" as just a lot of arse-kicking. All of the popular Asian styles include a great deal of defensive and escape moves. But no, you're not going to learn them competently in one night. Or one week. Or one month...

I think I read, years ago in the reader's digest, a short story of a guy on a train, sharing the compartment with an old Asian man, when a man who presents as drunk and looking for a fight with anyone, enters the compartment. The first person tells of reviewing some of his Martial arts skills, to be used to defend himself and the elderly man, when the elderly man engages, in a calm manner, the agitated man, in conversation, and manages to calm the agitated man down, to the point that the guy actually ended up in a pleasant conversation.

Afterwards, when the formerly agitated man leaves, the elderly one tells the story teller to the effect of, I saw you preparing to fight, but felt mine was the better way.

Think about it.

• Like 1

I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning. There are very few martial arts that are strictly offensive. Hell, even boxing includes some rudimentary defence. So let's not stereotype "martial arts" as just a lot of arse-kicking. All of the popular Asian styles include a great deal of defensive and escape moves. But no, you're not going to learn them competently in one night. Or one week. Or one month...

I didn't mean it like that. I probably should have elaborated a little more.

• 1 month later...

DT4EMS used to be a member of this site, but I don't recall seeing any of his postings in a while. I'll just presume I missed seeing them, not that he's not been active.

Just passing this along. Even with scene safety, things happen.

A LESSON LEARNED AND MANY LIVES SAVED

I received an E-mail written by Lt. Donnie Fedorowski, Rockland Paramedic Services in Rockland County. RPS Medic 25 is a double medic unit stationed in the Spring Hill Community Ambulance Corps. building in Spring Valley, NY in Rockland County. The Call described could have been in ANY village, town or county in The State of New York.

I ask EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU to read the e-mail and take from it the following:

1) The Paramedics and the EMT's are safe and uninjured

2) The Police officer on scene is safe and uninjured

3) The Patient and his family is safe and uninjured

4) THIS ENDING MIGHT HAVE BEEN VERY DIFFERENT!!!

SCENE SAFETY is not just when you first walk into a scene, it continues until you sign back in service!!

BE SAFE!!

Michael J. Mastrianni, Jr.

President

NYS Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Assoc., Inc.

PO 254

East Schodack, New York 12063

DONNIE FEDOWORSKI-LT. @RPS

Sent: 6/7/2011 1:52:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

Subj: Lessons Learned

I just want to share an incident that shows how important it is to remain vigilant, alert and careful

wherever, whenever one is on a job or even simply out in public:

Mid-morning on Tuesday June 7, 2011 Medic 25 and Spring Hill are dispatched to a "Male having a

heart attack" in a residential neighborhood. Upon arrival to a unassuming house, the crew is lead

upstairs by a young woman in her mid 20's. The home appears simple and clean, the residents

are friendly and no threat is even thought of.

Upon walking into an air conditioned bedroom, a male in his 30's is lying supine on the bed with

his right hand behind his head on the pillow. The evaluation begins and it is evident that the man

is suffering from a CVA. The patient is conscious, alert and talking. Blood pressures are taken,

meds are copied, history obtained and equipment is brought in to facilitate movement of the

patient to the bus. About 8 to 10 minutes is spent inside the residence in an unpretentious

atmosphere. All this time there is a police officer in the room as well as the girlfriend. Everything

that is going on is being explained to the patient and he is aware of the situation.

The time came to move the patient onto the reeves stretcher. As the crew, with the help of the

police officer approach with the reeves and even have hands on the patient, ready to move him;

The patient lets slip that he has a loaded pistol under his pillow.

For a second, time stood still. Some people froze, some took a step back... then froze, others

noted the door, the window or is it easier to flip the table... Is there going to be a bang? The

officer's hand went for his own weapon. All this, in a split second and eyes widen as there is a

realization that the gun is now in the patients hand. As fast as it began, the 38 caliber semi

automatic colt pistol was in the police officers hand being unloaded and the clock began ticking

again.

Everyone was stunned for a moment. Really?! But there it was. As it turned out, papers were

produced with permits, but the weapon was confiscated by the police for safekeeping since it

could not be secured in the residence.

Lesson learned. We hear of tragedies all around us. This was not anything close to that, but it is

a reminder that it can happen, even here in Rockland County. Be careful out there.

D.

Please feel free pass the info along

Adrian Fedorowski

Lieutenant

Rockland Paramedic Services

149aSouth Middletown Road

Nanuet, NY 10954

• 1 month later...

Ahhh seriously I thought you replying in my defense!! :P

Otherwise I wouldn't have been so nice!! Sheeesh...

I'd take the time to "highlight" and "bold" things for you, but truth be told, I'm just responding to Mike's (not me the other one's) remarks...

Well I can appreciate trying to find out someone's credentials... There are other more 'civil' ways to do that though!! And yes Mike Is a knucklehead, But I can't say the actual name on post, wouldn't be too polite!!

But I guess as the "New Guy" I wouldn't know much about that would I? (According to knucklehead over there!) ;)

Dang, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Like Wendy, if you insist on name calling then expect the same in return.

And after the nasty reply he had to Wendy and others, I think he's just being deliberately stupid. He doesn't warrant even a valid look from here on out.

Wendy, glad you reportedeth himeth.

Edited by Ruffems