12 week accelerated program Versus 2 yr Paramedic course.

I'm looking to start the Paramedic Class so as to further my skills. I was wondering, What is the best Course of Option here, Take Paramedic Classes 12 week accelerated program or go for 2 yrs? Thanks For the help!!!!

You've been around here long enough to have watched this very topic unfold in the chatroom several times over (not to mention how many hundreds of times in the forums) that this shouldn't even be a question you should bother asking.

Of course the 2 year degree program is going to be much better than any 12 week "Here's how to pass the NREMT test" course will EVER be!

Sure, the courses offered through the 'Patch Mills' will get you through all of the requirements to qualify to sit for the NREMT, and they will probably get you through it before you're shredded and bleed to death, but the question is this: Why are you willing to settle for the absolute MINIMUM requirements, especially knowing that peoples lives will depend on your education?

I'm not saying that the 'Patch Mills' don't turn out adequate providers (I doubt they'd remain in business if they didn't), but do you REALLY want to settle for being 'adequate' or do you want to strive to become the BEST medic you can be?

The 'Patch Mill' curriculum seems to focus more on regurgitation of 'fact' at the appropriate times as opposed to EDUCATING the medic student. You'll want to know WHY the patient's body is in the shape it's in, WHY the treatments you render are appropriate, HOW your intended treatments will affect your patient and WHAT to do in the case they don't respond in the way you expect them to.

Yes, the colleges will have you taking courses that will seem to be a complete waste of time (especially from an EMS standpoint), but the 'Patch Mill' will not have you taking college level Anatomy and Physiology (from the cell structure upward), and there will also be other classes in the collegiate environment that will help you with 'critical thinking skills' (such as algebra).

Will I be a better provider just because I went to college? Maybe, maybe not; but at least I WILL have more than a 'fighting chance' because I DID go to college!

Cyn,

I tried one of those 12 week things...and it didn't work they teach bare minimums. Anyway a college program may not give you a perfect shot. I have listened to these same conversations that you have and I still made the mistake of trying this accelerated program bit...now that I have seen the error of my ways I have to thank AK and a few other people whose usernames are escaping me right now. I am working on not just one but two degrees I am double majoring in Tech Theatre and Paramedicine.

• Like 1

Not very...it never does. This will be followed by maybe one more post here, and then a few status updates about how life would be glorious if people just didn't attack other people for no reason...sniff sniff....That will be about it.

But what the hell...popcorn is good for you, right?

Dwayne

You are so full of yourself it is not worth my effort or time to respond more than once to your attacks. You make it clear that you try to belittle anyone that presents any opinion that is different than yours. Have a great day.

Now back on track with the OP. As you see this is a hot button issue. I have met some darn good medics from the 12 weeks schools but they are the rare exception. I have met some worthless lazy piece of crap medics from the 2 year schools though as well. Any education you seek will require you to be dedicated and focused. You must put forth the effort and not settle for the basic text book answer.

If it turns out your school or professors are lousy you will have to put in the effort to make yourself the best possible. You will have to weigh the short term as well as the long term benefits. Only you know your financial situation as to what you can or can not do at this time. People will spout off usless BS like I was able to do the 4 year degree while raising 20 kids and walking uphill both ways barefoot and naked in the snow with packs of wolves biting my rear so everyone should be able to. Don't waste your time with them. I encourage you to get the degree if possible as stated as it can transfer to other degrees. Transfering does not mean leaving EMS it means you have reached for more. Some blindly seem to think if you transfer your degree credits you can not continue in EMS. They are wrong. Some choose to get their RN, CRNA, and other degrees yet remain working in EMS. Others get their EMS degree then stop the education process entirely, those are the medics that scare me. No matter which route to Paramedic youj choose, certification must only be a beginning to your education if you are truly going to be any good.

• Like 1

This attitude is exactly why you shouldn't take this kind of immature advice. "If I can pass the test then I'm as good as everyone else, right?" No man, you're not. You've managed to pass the very minimum requirements to be allowed to call yourself a paramedic. And you should be ashamed of that.

Spenac following the whole "what do you call a man that graduated at the very bottom of his class at medical school? Doctor!" shit is just that, it's shit. It's what's holds EMS back as a profession and keeps people from getting paid. You'll find if you're here a few days that spenac loves to brag about how rich he's getting as a medic, what a superior education he has, how sage he is for the noobs, and yet you won't find him posting more than just a few lines in any forum that requires intelligent thought. Just keep that in mind.

If, like 11outof10, your goals don't extend beyond getting to giggle while running lights and sirens around town in your ambulance, then yeah, follow his advice

Wow. I guess the trolls are everywhere. It must have been tough following me around watching me giggle for all those years just to be qualified to make statements about the quality of care that i provide.

• Like 1

Come on. You guys are disappointing me.

I even melted butter!

I don't have to chat online to prove myself to anyone. If dwayne wants to polish his buttons by trashing students in the forums who am i to stand in his way? He has obviously got paramedicine all figured out.

Dwayne had a giant case of open mouth, insert foot where you were concerned, 11outof10. He tends to do that sometimes. He made an inference he shouldn't'a made. Hopefully he'll man up and apologize. (GIANT HINT, DWAYNE...) He already struck out the statement in his original post with a footnote... but hopefully he'll come back and really apologize.

He doesn't take pleasure from sniping n00bs, he actually has a passionate investment in making sure people actually learn. Gets a little excited and shoots off before he thinks sometimes. As far as his age old battle with Spenac, just ignore the side show there... really, there's a long history there and it's really just good for entertainment and not much else at this point.

He comes on strong, but he posts a lot that's worth reading. Trust me- just because you're broke and feel pressed for time is not a good reason to skimp on your education. These are the building blocks for your CAREER, not just some fancy letters to put behind your name, hence why some feel so strongly about this issue. Look at some adult learning theories- it is impossible to really absorb and be able to critically think about the material you are covering if you are doing 12 hour class days and 12 hour clinical days with no "down" time to let your brain do what it is supposed to do.

There is learning that occurs when you are NOT COVERING the material, and to deprive yourself of that and force yourself just to regurgitate to pass the test is not a great idea. You *are* going to lose a lot more of the material than if you give yourself the time to really absorb it and be able to work with it in the field under pressure.

You want to be a GREAT medic, not just a mediocre one, right? Then do yourself the favor of allowing yourself the time to learn. You will be glad you did. There are ways to finance school and afford a good program. Medicine is more than remembering drug calculations and physical skills... it's about critical thinking and that only comes with time and deep understanding of the material you are working with.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 2

Seems someone got their undies in a wad and gave me a negative. Thank you very much.

Wendy spoke very well OP to the benefits of going the degree way. Sometimes as a famous qoute says "out of the mouths of babes". Based on age she is a baby compared to many of us old farts here, but often she brings reason to the discussions or even clarifies what others have said in a much more professional way.

Seems someone got their undies in a wad and gave me a negative. Thank you very much.

Wendy spoke very well OP to the benefits of going the degree way. Sometimes as a famous qoute says "out of the mouths of babes". Based on age she is a baby compared to many of us old farts here, but often she brings reason to the discussions or even clarifies what others have said in a much more professional way.

Hear, hear!

To me, it also boils down to the following, how can you learn to be a proper carer at ALS level in just 12 weeks? It took me 7 yrs and I still get cases that humble and sometimes confuse me after 14 years. Dwayne was somewhat out of line but I do understand his sentiment. He´s right when he says that this mentality is dragging the profession down in the US.

Glad to be back folks,

Carl, formerly known as the Welsh Medic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.