Be a Victim!

I've been in my EMT-B class for about 2 months now and loving it!

We do a lot of hands on senarios in class and a lot of us were always confused about what we were supposed to be doing (order, etc).

We were asked by our teacher if we would like to be a "victim" for another class taking the NREMT certifications. I tell you, it really cleared things up.

You are either asked to be the assistant or the victim. You cannot give hints or help (with out them asking) to the person taking the test, but it really helped make things very clear.

It's a great way to get some insight as to what you will be tested on and how the test will be run. Being a "victim" really helped me gain my confidence and am now kicking some behind in the in class assessments.

Anyway, just a thought from a noob. :)

-MetalMedic

• Like 1

Awesome post brother. And I'm glad that you mentioned that! I too discovered this and used to preach it to folks thinking about taking their NR, but eventually it just sort of fell off of my radar. Thanks for the reminder.

Welcome to the city. Congrats on having the balls to jump right in a contribute! That is cool as hell...

Dwayne

It's a great way to learn! I volunteer my time every chance I get with the school I did my EMT training through! It's really helpful to see those more experience do something...I actually learn better by watching someone do the skill first, rather than reading. If you ever get the chance to be a "victim" for and ALS class, do it! I have recently moved away from doing just the EMT/BLS classes, and have started volunteering at ALS courses (AMLS, ACLS, TCCC, PHTLS) and I have learned so much! Not only do you get to see the BLS skills used, but you also get to see and learn about the ALS side of treatment. I learned so much. So yea, it teaches you a lot and I would recommend even when you are done with your EMT class that you continue to volunteer if the opportunity is available! It will keep your skills sharp!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.