PA state protocol update

Johnboy

PA state has come up with a new protocol update starting statewide. Alot of good has come from this new update, however, there is a section in which ALS practitioners shall do the inital assessment on all pt's. If it is deemed BLS, the ALS practitioner can punt it to the BLS provider, providing he or she completes their own PCR documenting their pt assement. Also, the ALS practitioner shall over-see the BLS partner's PCR. Is this the begining of the end for BLS providers? I don't know many ALS providers that will take the time to do their own PCR and not ride in with the pt.

Your thoughts.....

JB

Almost sounds like it. I dont see why you would need ALS to do initial then hand off to BLS and complete a PCR of initial contact. To me it should be the other way around BLS does initial hands up to ALS if necessary BLS completes PCR.

Unless at one point in the future PA wants an all ALS setup. Every rig is a medic rig and no more worry about ALS vs BLS. Giving the stepping stone now to get folks ready to up their education type of thing.

I know in my area by the end of this round of recerts (6/2013) the new Cores will be adding several things to "up" the scope of basics. They have already added it to the curriculum but in 6/2013 all basics will have been recerted to the "higher" standard. Not really much but a few things that were strictly ALS are now being taught to and allowed to be BLS (quick example would be BGL) kind of a hogpog of basic and intermediate scopes.

I guess in PA they may be phasing in the higher standard OR they feel ALS is loosing its BLS skill set (ie initial assesments, basic interventions, ect) and this is a way of keeping those skill sets fresh and up to date.

Who knows, someone does, but not I :lol:

Sounds like the medics in PA are going to be expected to take on more work, more responsibility, and more liability than they were before this protocol change. Is anyone planning on compensating them for these additions?

Good, this is how it should be. I can't count how many times the EMT's have tried to give me their number and take the call when the patient could benefit more if I transport.

It's not always about life and death crap. Very few calls are life and death. They say it's a chest cold, and it could be pneumonia working on sepsis. They say it's just a little nausea/vomiting, and I say we should make them more comfortable with some zofran (because the act of retching hurts like hell). They'll tell me it's just a hip fracture, meanwhile Mrs. Doe is in some terrible pain and might like a little morphine.

I don't really like being waived off of calls. I'd rather do an assessment and make the determination then. There are things I can do for comfort that BLS providers can not. I do not have to be running a chest pain, shortness of breath, or cardiac arrest to be a benefit.

Whether or not it's a politically motivated change, I think it's a change for the better. My predecessor has already pointed out that ALS can do things for the pt. that BLS can't. Pain management springs to mind here. Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that there is no role for BLS. They are unmissable in the First Responder role and play a major part in patient care. However, at the end of the day, I would want to be looked after by someone who had a little more understanding of my condition and the treatment options.

Hope I don't ruffle to many feathers.

Carl.

Edited by Carl Ashman

Perhaps you're reading it wrong. Our nearest medic is about 30 miles away. I ain't waiting for them to assess my patient... And I'm not following any protocol that says I can't recall the ALS provider. The people who makes these updates, clearly haven't been active in the EMS field in quite some time. However, as far as the BLS protocols. We were already full compliant a year or more ago. The subtraction of the MAST just made our cabinet look a little neater.

Edited by 4c6

Perhaps you're reading it wrong. Our nearest medic is about 30 miles away. I ain't waiting for them to assess my patient... And I'm not following any protocol that says I can't recall the ALS provider. The people who makes these updates, clearly haven't been active in the EMS field in quite some time. However, as far as the BLS protocols. We were already full compliant a year or more ago. The subtraction of the MAST just made our cabinet look a little neater.

Yes, but why is your nearest medic 30 miles away? Because your community does not see the value in ALS. Maybe that's not the best starting point...? Once again, I have no wish to banish Basic's but I don't think they should have sole responsibility. That's why I think this amendment might not be a bad thing.

Carl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.