Cost of switching to ALS?

This is what I have so far, IV and Medications are a separate list and will be addressed separately and can be taken from existing stocks, I am mostly looking at what it will cost to outfit the bag the first time. I am very open to your feedback. Also, what do you guys do for your ALS peds with a small service/limited budget?

Item Price from EMP

THOMAS ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT PACK ULTRA, BLUE

KING AIRWAY LTS-D, SUPRAGLOTTIC AIRWAY KIT, SIZE 3

KING AIRWAY LTS-D, SUPRAGLOTTIC AIRWAY KIT, SIZE 4

KING AIRWAY LTS-D, SUPRAGLOTTIC AIRWAY KIT, SIZE 5

Medline Huge Bulb Syringe

LIFEPAK 12 EtCO2 Smart CapnoLine Plus Adult/Intermediate 10 pack

LIFEPAK 12 EtCO2 FilterLine SET Adult/Pediatric 25 pack

ALUMINUM "D" SIZE OXYGEN CYLINDER W/TOGGLE VALVE

CARE2 CONTINUOUS CARE NEBULIZER, HAND HELD x2

ET tube holder, Laerdal, Thomas Holder, adult

O2-RESQ BITRAC ED MASK W/ 5.0CM CPAP VALVE, ADULT LARGE

O2-RESQ BITRAC ED MASK W/ 5.0CM CPAP VALVE, ADULT MEDIUM

ARS for Needle Decompression (14 gauge x 3.25 in.) x2

ARGYLE SALEM SUMP TUBE, 16FR, 48" LONG

CARDINAL CATH-N-GLOVE,18FR

WOLFE TORY MAD NASAL ATOMIZATION DEVICE x2

NELLCOR EASY CAP II END TIDAL CO2 DETECTOR, ADULT

Total

You need to do some research first.

1) Find out what the state requires. If the state isn't helping, talk to other service directors, or your state represenative. Find out if the requirements are in code or administrative law, or where you can find them.

2) Find out what protocols you will operate under and what special equipment that will require.

3) Find out what the hospitial will provide for you and at what cost, and compare that to the list of items you need.

From there, devise your list, and contact sales reps in your area, their pricing will differ from what you see on the websites. If you will be spending $10,000 with a rep, he can afford to take 5%-10% off the margin and still make his money.

Forums are great for many things, this isn't one of them. :D

Not to say your question isn't valid, and I encourage you to talk about your progress here, to serve as a learning tool for others. But sometimes, you really need the word straight from the source as opposed to anecdotes.

I am just doing this to get a guesstimate to give to the boss. It is his responsibility to make it happen. This would be very few hours a month, so its not worth it for me to go through an extreme amount of trouble to build this. I have already came up with a model set of protocols, went through and made this equipment list, worked on my licensing information, etc. Not trying to sound lazy, but much more than this is getting out of my arena.

That being said, I am still open to feedback and I will keep things updated.

We purchase our supplied from Boundtree: The King LTD airways are $40.00 list and with our discount we pay $29.00 Just ordered some last week.

We are part of a regional buying collaborative that gives us group pricing on about everything in the catalog , and we can order direct from Boundtree in any quantity we need.

We had the same arrangement with EMP in the past, so check with their sales and marketing team.

I'd wager a guess that our cost to upgrade to full ALS was around 3500.00 in additional equipment. But a lot of that depends on what equipment your required to have.

Did you include a Pediatric ALS bag with all the things needed for it?

We purchase our supplied from Boundtree: The King LTD airways are $40.00 list and with our discount we pay $29.00 Just ordered some last week.

We are part of a regional buying collaborative that gives us group pricing on about everything in the catalog , and we can order direct from Boundtree in any quantity we need.

We had the same arrangement with EMP in the past, so check with their sales and marketing team.

I'd wager a guess that our cost to upgrade to full ALS was around 3500.00 in additional equipment. But a lot of that depends on what equipment your required to have.

Did you include a Pediatric ALS bag with all the things needed for it?

I was looking at this for CPAP: http://www.buyemp.co...t/11230839.html

We wouldn't use it a ton, but I want it available

When CPAP was added to our scope, that's the model we were trained to use. But only two of us were trained, so we never bothered to invest the money into it. It's definitely a good choice if you've got long transport times. Uses a lot less oxygen, and still provides the same function. The older EMS versions of CPAP would drain the oxygen tank so fast, there would be frost on the OUTSIDE of the compartment, even in the summer. It would almost pay to have two on board cylinders, because you wouldn't want to get the patient depending on the CPAP, then run out of oxygen. Equipment shopping is a bigger PITA that ppl realized, thats how I feel as the Supply guy anyway.

I'd recommend using another supplier, if you're just starting out. Two actually, Progressive Medical International; and Southeastern Emergency Equipment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.