Combat Medics, Military and Contracted.

Sup folks,

I'm pretty young. I'm 17, but I have a lot of experience behind me and big aspirations. I've been a member of the Civil Air Patrol for six years now, and I'm currently a CNA. I had my heart set on a civilian ER nurse for quite a while, but I really am already a military man at heart. I thrive in that life style. I'm currently researching contract work overseas. One could literally retire early on that.

So the questions are:

• Aside from pararescue (because I know ALL about it, and want nothing to do with it) what emergency medicine is there in the military? Do combat medics get paid more than the typical NCO?

• Say I got my RN and Paramedic over the next three years, and then enlisted. What position would be ideal? Would I be better off just getting an EMTB license if I want to be a combat medic?

• Realistically, what are the odds of actually getting a contract in the middle east (or anywhere else) doing medic work?

• How good is the GI bill, really? I mean I've read all about it. But none of the guys I know care about college yet. Do you really just get your college paid for? I could, in theory, go play in the sandbox, make a few bucks, and then come back and get my RN degree and settle down.

I dunno. I'm just sitting here realizing it's time to start thinking hard about these things. And I know what I like. Which is medical work, the military, and money. The only time those three coincide is with organizations like blackwater. (err.."UStraining") :rofl:

Sup folks,

I'm pretty young. I'm 17, but I have a lot of experience behind me and big aspirations. I've been a member of the Civil Air Patrol for six years now, and I'm currently a CNA. I had my heart set on a civilian ER nurse for quite a while, but I really am already a military man at heart. I thrive in that life style. I'm currently researching contract work overseas. One could literally retire early on that.

So the questions are:

• Aside from pararescue (because I know ALL about it, and want nothing to do with it) what emergency medicine is there in the military? Do combat medics get paid more than the typical NCO?

• Say I got my RN and Paramedic over the next three years, and then enlisted. What position would be ideal? Would I be better off just getting an EMTB license if I want to be a combat medic?

• Realistically, what are the odds of actually getting a contract in the middle east (or anywhere else) doing medic work?

• How good is the GI bill, really? I mean I've read all about it. But none of the guys I know care about college yet. Do you really just get your college paid for? I could, in theory, go play in the sandbox, make a few bucks, and then come back and get my RN degree and settle down.

I dunno. I'm just sitting here realizing it's time to start thinking hard about these things. And I know what I like. Which is medical work, the military, and money. The only time those three coincide is with organizations like blackwater. (err.."UStraining") :rofl:

If you are going to become a RN and then sign up, why not do your BSN and then sign up as an officer??

Regarding mid east medic contract work: The odds are pretty good after you complete your two year paramedic degree program and get 3-5 years of busy 911 experience that the USA will still be at war somewhere...then people will hire you for sure!

Just STOP. Reset the OODA loop for a minute here.

Sup folks,

Not a good way to start your first post on a professional forum.

So the questions are:

• Aside from pararescue (because I know ALL about it, and want nothing to do with it) what emergency medicine is there in the military?

There are medics in the Army, Air Force, and Navy. The Marines are supplied medics by the Navy. There are also special operations medics, which include PJs, 18D, SEAL corpsmen, and others. The term "medic" in the military is fairly generic. All are to some extent trained to be "combat medics", i.e., work in the field as an organic part of a unit, but also may work in hospitals or clinics.

Pararescue is a specific special operations MOS in the Air Force. If you know ALL about it, and decided it's not for you, you may ask yourself why that is. If you're so geeked by the military, and want to do high speed medicine in dangerous places, PJs are essentially the epitome of that. If the arduous nature of their training concerns you, then you need to question your motives.

Do combat medics get paid more than the typical NCO?

No.

If you enlist and go the medic route, your EMT-B training will be provided to you in your initial training.

Which position is ideal? Depends on your goals. If you are an RN, it is unlikely that you will be used as a combat medic. There are however many positions for RNs in various military settings.

They are good if you have extensive field experience or military deployment experience. CAP does not count. Without those experiences, you could possibly get a contract with a small company, but unlikely to be one with a good reputation. Very unlikely you would get a field job with Blackwater, Triple Canopy, KBR, Dyncorp, or any other sizable company with decent street cred.

Yes, you get your college paid for, but it doesn't come free. It comes at the price of service.

"The military" and "money" do not go together. You will not make as much in a military occupation as you will in the equivalent civilian job. They don't call it "service" for nothing. Lacking in your post is any thought of service to your country or others.

CAP is NOT the same as being in the active duty military. You are in for a kick in the teeth when you get to basic if you think so.

Your image of PMCs is somewhat skewed. The reputation that BW has in the industry is a very good one. Despite what you might read in the mainstream media, PMC work is not the key to boatloads of cash, nor is it equivalent to the military. Pictures of PMCs wandering around in khaki 5.11s, Oakleys, with M4s might look cool, but you have to remember a few things about them. These men have cut their teeth on actual deployments, often with special operations units, already having extensive training in the given field as well as maturity. The ones who are paid well have earned it because of their qualifications. They look like mercenaries, able to do whatever they like and put boot to ass for fun, but PMC work is hot, boring, dusty, dangerous, and thankless work. It is also extremely detail oriented, and a high degree of professionalism is expected of them. The career outlook for these positions is not that good either. Folks who do it long term are subject matter experts in their given field, which comes from many years of experience, usually in the military.

There are positions overseas with PMCs that do not require this background, which do pay decent, but those are typically in support roles such as logistics and supply. And no, you will not carry an M4 and shoot bad guys.

SLOW DOWN. Focus on the 25 meter target. Finish school, get good grades. If you want to make boatloads of cash, that will not come without extensive experience and education. If you want to be an RN, go get your RN. If you want to get combat experience, then go join up in a combat arms MOS, and realize that you are still unlikely to get any.

'zilla

• Like 3

Feeling pretty talked down too Doc. With all the of topic (non-EMT) topics, constant cracking of jokes, and even your reply..I felt just fine being a little loose in my post. But if you need official correspondence I suppose it can be arranged.

And no, you will not carry an M4 and shoot bad guys.

Really? Comments like this are what make people drop their hopes and dreams. Obviously not me, I mean I really couldn't care less if someone thinks I'm in it for the wrong reason.

I know that CAP is not the military. I'm not a child, even though I'm young. I've worked with the "real" military for three years now. PJOC was no joke, and my classmates and I were informed up-front that parts of it were on-par with indoc. I'm not a kiddie with a fake MP5 and a foot long rambo knife hoping to kick in some commie's door. I'm a professional who got a head start and wants to act on something he's developed a passion for. It's very difficult to get anything good out of a post filled with condescending remarks and undue judgment.

Now that we've gotten all of the troll-esque bickering done with, thank you very much for your answers. They did help. I am once again irked by your comments about my wanting to recreate the hollywood image of mercs. So let me clarify in saying that I thrive on detail oriented work. I script websites, plan large scale events for my entire state through CAP, I'm a fire explorer, and I love putting in hard work. I realize all of these accomplishments may seem diminished to one of your status, but they're really something to behold for a seventeen year old kid. I didn't do all of this thinking I was the bomb, I did it so that I could stay ahead of everyone else when I hit the real world.

Thanks in advance to anyone with more information. I really do appreciate it.

Feeling pretty talked down too Doc.

I am not military at all (although... in another life)

I only know what I have seen on documentaries, and discussions with soldiers.

So my question is: Should'nt you get used too it?

• Like 1

Feeling pretty talked down too Doc.

Wah. You want to be treated with respect but can't be bothered to show any to those from whom you're requesting assistance. If you want avoid feeling like you're being talked down to then perhaps showing some basic, common courtesy to those who you've identified as professionals is in order.

I'm not a child, even though I'm young.

I hate to break this to you, but 17 is still a child. Of course, no 17 year old out there will either admit to this or even realize it's true until they're older. But there it is.

I've worked with the "real" military for three years now. PJOC was no joke, and my classmates and I were informed up-front that parts of it were on-par with indoc.

If you had to use quotes to refer to it as being real, then it wasn't real. That's like New York "style" cheese cake. Or a Philly "style" cheese steak. Imitations are never real.

I'm a professional who got a head start and wants to act on something he's developed a passion for.

You're 17. You're not a professional anything yet. You still have to earn that title. And you're a long way from it.

It's very difficult to get anything good out of a post filled with condescending remarks and undue judgment.

Yet you approached us without even the most basic components of respecting the knowledge and experience present in this forum. What were you expecting?

... seventeen year old kid.

Wait...I thought you weren't a child?

... I did it so that I could stay ahead of everyone else when I hit the real world.

Good. So please take the lesson learned that common courtesy and treating people with respect, especially the people you are asking to help you, will take you more places than treating us like a high school classmate will.

And if you're feeling talked down to now, just wait until basic training. You haven't seen anything yet.

That being said, if you're not willing to listen to Doczilla then there's little point in you continuing this particular discussion. Despite you feeling talked down to he has offered probably some of the best advice you're going to get.

Good luck anyway.

Methinks someone needs a taste of basic training.

Doc. Come on sugar coat it for him. He might actually take the advice if its sgar coated

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Whoa, whoa whoa!!! Hold yer horses!!!

First, I think everyone has gone way off course here. The new poster and young one at that is obviously a very eager beaver but we have had many of those over the years. What is different is he came to us with very well thought out questions, explained himself well, used proper paragraph breaks and grammar...and then we give him the shits?? WTF over?

Yes, some of his thought processes are skewed but Doczilla quickly addressed them in a very professional way. The OP took them personally and replied with slight attitude but nothing in the way of what we have seen in years past.

This "kid" obviously has set the bar very high for himself and has taken many steps to achieve it; he is asking for a little assistance steering the ship back on course. I think we all should recognize his potential and instead of breaking him down further, chime in with your own input on how best he can proceed.

To the OP, take a minute to breathe and relax. Do not take everything said personally, instead simply consider it as constructive criticism and advice to be heavily considered against what you know to be true about yourself and then make an informed decision from there.

Doczilla took time from his exceptionally busy life...one which would impress you if you knew him and gave you very direct answers. He even posed questions to you which were disregarded as being "talked down to".

Go back and read his post again and then get back to us.

Ak Sends...

Look you are consdering a lot of things even just as far as the militray aspect. You need to decided which branch of the military you are more interested or what to join. As a Navy Corpsman I have done totally different things then the army medics out there. Your EMT-B is a good ground to start with any of the branches will have their own way of doing things just as different agencys will.

As far as the GI Bill it is totally worth it, as long as you use it. Too many people out there don't use theirs.

Weather you go RN or paramedic that is a decision you will have to figure out. My opinion get your Basic and see how you do and feel. You may realize that the hospital is the place for you not the field. If EMS is right for you you will know it when you start actually practicing. If you go RN get your BSN and go officer.

Money and EMS or Military just don't really go together. There are always a few job out there that you can make plenty of money but if that is what you are really looking at you may need to consider a different field. You are going to have to work for several years before you will get to the point that you would even be able to go after those money jobs.

Whoa, whoa whoa!!! Hold yer horses!!!

First, I think everyone has gone way off course here. The new poster and young one at that is obviously a very eager beaver but we have had many of those over the years. What is different is he came to us with very well thought out questions, explained himself well, used proper paragraph breaks and grammar...and then we give him the shits?? WTF over?

Yes, some of his thought processes are skewed but Doczilla quickly addressed them in a very professional way. The OP took them personally and replied with slight attitude but nothing in the way of what we have seen in years past.

This "kid" obviously has set the bar very high for himself and has taken many steps to achieve it; he is asking for a little assistance steering the ship back on course. I think we all should recognize his potential and instead of breaking him down further, chime in with your own input on how best he can proceed.

To the OP, take a minute to breathe and relax. Do not take everything said personally, instead simply consider it as constructive criticism and advice to be heavily considered against what you know to be true about yourself and then make an informed decision from there.

Doczilla took time from his exceptionally busy life...one which would impress you if you knew him and gave you very direct answers. He even posed questions to you which were disregarded as being "talked down to".

Go back and read his post again and then get back to us.

Ak Sends...

Thank you all, especially you akflightmedic.

As for all the comments about me needing a taste of basic and the microscopic level at which my post was picked apart, no one will believe me if I bother telling you. But I've trained with PJs, Recon Marines, Seals, Sergeant Majors, and field grade officers in every branch. They're all just as ruthless as doczilla, and have taught me to do the same when necessary. But they do it for a reason, not because they feel like they can. They realize they're working with young men and women who are making the effort to go above and beyond their call, when they could be eating donuts and playing xbox.

NOW, surely we're done with all that. Ak, everyone else who was trying to help, thank you. I suppose I originally made this post because I've gone though some drastic changes lately, and I'm now considering the military as a career option. However, so many people get washed out, burned out, or injured. Due to this they fall out of the military and get a job they don't truly enjoy, or that doesn't pay all too well. However, if I can get valid experience in the military as a medical professional, that's a great experience and opportunity to serve my country. After which, if I really enjoy it, I could make some money for the future and do something I really enjoy, which is working hard. I'm not out to be a mercenary, or a hotshot carrying a big gun. But..I recently read that 50% of all deaths in combat are due to uncontrolled hemorrhaging. If that's the case, how many fathers and brothers and husbands could I send home alive? It's not just about the money or the résumé, I love the medical world, and I love the idea of truly helping someone.

I don't really know what I want to do. I know I'm going to start general education for college in September. If I choose to go military after that, I'll do so enlisted. Since I hit officer about a year ago in CAP, I can get an advanced rank out of boot camp in the Army or Airforce. From there I could use the GI Bill to get my RN, or reenlist and go for a contracting job down the road.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.