D.C. Nurses going on strike

scubanurse

But with the back breaking labour twist, just remember the other elements of being an RN, drug equations, assessments, adhering to district health board policies, cannulating, intubating, defibrillating, medicating, x-raying, interpreting lab values, mentally and emotionally taxing. Oh of course we aren't back breaking to do the job, heaven forbid we log roll the 400lb fat bastard who ate twinkies and cheetos all damn day and came to us with an ulcer on his fat ass!

I slaved, like Timmy, for four years to become an RN, we have one level here in New Zealand, we don't have LPN, you do your training and are an RN and then from there, you enter your levels and stages dependant on your years experience. I have over 50,000 in student debt to pay to become an RN and I do it because I love it. I work in a level 2 trauma centre and we are constantly swamped with cases that should be at a primary health clinic. We have many patients coming in through our doors and the acuity level of care is increasing with an aging population and multiple co-morbidities. For a long time, a street sweeper earned more than an RN.

Yes Crotch, you may think we don't have a back breaking job, I am sorry you are that elite that you didn't break a sweat, but you are but one of a million and more of us who do this job. I hope to learn your ability to do this... oh wait, no thanks, I actually ENJOY having the ability to think, have a heart and yes, bust a f***ing sweat doing my job, because I know at the end of the day I EARNT my wage.

With the increasing demands, the advancements of medical care and the need for further interventions for patients, I support my fellow RN's on strike, because at the end of the day, it isn't the doctors who are going to care for you when you are in hospital, its the nurses. And in regards to unions, we are lucky to have a good one here in NZ that provides many services. We don't have to worry about health insurance as we are free medical service here in NZ. So yes whilst not arguing for the same points as the RN's the fact that we have an increased workload, an aging population, mutating forms of diseases to deal with, we still do it. And so my response, is it ethical - of course not if you want to look at the holistic care of a patient from an individuals point of view, very few nurses would actually want to get out on the picket lines and strike, but is it fair to have to work with crap conditions *damp, old, no security for abusive patients etc* or have to work an unsafe nurse/patient ratio? Hell no. Who is going to stand up for it? One nurse is often swept under a carpet, two nurses are bundled in a cupboard, but a whole group with the same concerns and issues, something has to then be done. Because act now, save and help patients and each other better. Would you rather a hospital that you have to sit for hours waiting to do a handover of care, which means a rig off the road which means more workload on your collegues? Or would you rather a hospital, that thanks to making the employers listen and take into account the issues, has enough staff to provide safe patient to RN ratios and also means you can deliver your patient, recomission your rig and then be back out there being paid to do what you do?

Scotty

RN

most charting is electronic,

Yes, most charting is electronic but it's not as easy as it would seem to be in using an electronic medical record.

I should know because I put those electronic medical record systems in and you should hear the complaints I get from the nurses.

I can guarantee that electronic charting adds 5-15% more time onto the patient care cycle than old paper charting.

So please do not say that electronic charting saves time. It doesn't no matter what the electronic medical record system companies will tell you. I've worked with 5 different EHR systems both installing the system and also using them in patient care situations.

ok so because they have to write and type, they deserve more money than the hospital can afford to pay them ?

It's not that they cant afford to pay the nurses, or that the nurses are trying to bankrupt the hospital corporation; it's not even a matter of the nurses trying to get something they're not entitled to.

The hospital corporation wants ever increasing profits to go into their pockets (read stockholders, administrators, etc) that they want to get by with as little in the payroll/benefits department as they can legally get by with.

Because of the economic conditions out there, the corporations know that there are 10 people looking to have the one position you have. If you don't like it....there's the door.

This doesn't excuse the corporations from abusing their employees, and THAT is why the union is there.

Furthermore, it's not like the nurses are striking because there's no cheetos in the vending machines. Obviously, the international convention of their union agrees with the nurse's position, therefore they authorized the strike. Yes, strikes have to be authorized. To strike without authorization is considered a 'wildcat strike' and the union cannot (and probably will not) back your play.

If the dispute cannot be handled by the individual local chapter, then it goes to the District Committee. If they cannot get things resolved, then it goes to the Regional Committee. From there it goes to the National Committee, and then International if necessary.

As you can see, there's plenty of opportunity to resolve the issues before one person starts walking a picket line. A strike is usually a last resort. It's not like I'm going on strike because someone named Joe Schmoe got called a 'stupid idiot' by his supervisor, and I'm supporting my union brother!

@ crotch - Holly cow batman! I'm sure you're just teasing in your posts with your naive comments in order to get a laugh out of peoples comments.

Edited by Timmy

The nurses at WHC are some of the best I had the chance to work with and put up with a ton of CRAP....but is it ethical of them to strike?

The article does not go into contingencies in place to ensure patient safety and care during the strike, but I find it hard to believe the patients won't suffer as a result. The hospital utilizes a lot of LPN's and tech's and I could see them just increasing those positions during the strike, but would that compromise safety?

Thoughts?

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DC-DC-Nurses-Vote-to-Strike-117018123.html

Have they walked out in fact ?

A Strike Vote is means to an end, in most cases a ploy to bring attention to the issue of unfair practices, one cannot blame the economy for a request for fair payment for services rendered, this when an employer refuses to go to the table in good faith. That said: very few actually win anything in a real strike situation.

Want something to complain about ... give us a raise to cover gas prices because of a war in Libya when we have safe supplies in NA ? I digress.

If you have the majority that support this then is clearly one's right to ask for improvement in conditions and payment for services, just who are we to judge ? I am not an Nurse in this situation and how one can get rilled up over a biased news report is beyond me.

The Bigger question is it responsible as Professional's to voice an opinion pro or con ? The essential services that nurses provide on a daily basis is beyond debate. If the RNs wish to strike is it ethical, well good luck with that discussion. Its the responsibility of the Hospital as the Employer to prevent any emergency when it comes to any labour shortage.

I wish them good luck in their endeavours.

Edited by tniuqs

I was responding to crotch. Aparantly the reply function on tapatalk doesn't include the quoted post that I want to respond to.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I was responding to crotch. Aparantly the reply function on tapatalk doesn't include the quoted post that I want to respond to.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Use "quote".

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk