Do You Have A Duty To Report ?

No to one and two.

I'm only required to report child/adult neglect/abuse.

Agreed. I'm not making outside notifications of either one, and have no fear of legal repercussion.

As for the police view of such matters, I recently spoke to a crimes against children detective, and mother of two, about this very topic. When she is confronted with a teen girl having a consensual relationship with an adult male, she first says secretly to herself, "You go, girl!" Then she advises the parents of what a horribly detrimental effect that pressing prosecution will have on all involved, and especially on the parent-daughter relationship, which is most likely already on the skids. The parents are encouraged to use this opportunity to improve on that relationship instead of ruining it forever. I think that is excellent advice. There is one cop who hasn't watched too much Oprah.

I'm curious to know if those who feel so strongly about reporting this would still feel the same if both parties had been female? Male?

Edited by Dustdevil

...I'm curious to know if those who feel so strongly about reporting this would still feel the same if both parties had been female? Male?

Man..that is an awesome question!

Dwayne

1. If I had any reservations about wether it was rape or not I would report. I'm not sure exactly, but I dont think the camp nurse can refuse care for the minor so I think the parents would have to be contacted. While I agree with Dwayne that kids are kids and it is not my business to get involved with the actual choice of sexual intercourse between the two, I don't want to get myself in trouble over it.

2. I am very surprised that this is a question. Where I work illegal drugs are a fairly common occurence. So my question is this, I arrive on scene to my "chest pain" and see these drugs, I notify the police. How long do I wait at the residence for the police to arrrive? We have a 10 minute rule. From the time we arrive on scene to the time we begin transport needs to be less than 10 minutes....so am I supposed to delay patient transport to wait for the police to arrive? Also if I reported every drug I saw my deputies would not like me very much because that is ALL they would be doing while at work...and while drugs are an important issue there are many other important issues for our deputies to busy themselves with. Plus many patients who have taken drugs turn into not very nice people when you get the police involved. So, for me, the answer to this question is absolutely not.