Snake Bites

tcripp

Yeah, except for MG no one really gave you what you were asking for...but, one thing that did come to mind..Is there a chance that you can get a list and description of the snakes that will be present at the standby?

That might at least allow a Google search for current thinking on species specific envenomation management?

Trust me when I say that I'm trying to get all I can. A little history on me, my job before becoming a medic was an event manager. I like knowing what I'm getting in to prior to getting there...when I can.

Right now, I'm trying to ascertain the exact location. I figure baby steps. :D

OH, and thank you MG. Interesting how the little girl could handle it better than the older man...huh? :P

I've treated a snake bite. Irrigate, dress and wrap w/ either an elastic bandage or cohesive bandage... While you're doing that, have your partner call Poison Control. They'll know where the patient either should be taken; or where the hospital can get antivenin from. Zoos are a big place for storing antivenins as well. With in 50 miles of here is an exotic reptile zoo, which has serum for most snakes, domestic and exotic. Then again, some bites, if it's an envenomation, they're just plain dead.. We have no protocol for snake bites, however, there is a con-ed class for them b/c of the interface of gas drilling companies and going into the mountains where man normally wouldn't be.

As some older folks would say, wash it, wrap it and keep them calm.. and that's about all you can do, in an ambulance.

Like I said brent... it depends on the snake. Best to contact an expert. Some venom will cause the tissue necrosis if it is constricted.

I completely agree. And I didn't think about poison control, my first call would probably be to the ER.

I haven't read much about snakebites for sometime, so I don't know how old and what the basis is for the lymph constriction.

I also remeber, and I have no refrences for this other than some Discovery Health program or other such nonsense, that many "rapid deaths" from snakebites occur because the snake injects directly into a vein or artery.

I know there is some nut job (I say that because I HATE snakes) out in my territory somewhere with a spitting cobra or other silly thing that I will probably get called to someday. And I will pee myself all the way there.

We may not be able to answer the OP's question directly, but at least there is a flow of knowledge here to assist us in knowing what we really don't know.

I've treated a snake bite. Irrigate, dress and wrap w/ either an elastic bandage or cohesive bandage...

Don't forget to make sure the snake is secure!

We have no protocol for snake bites, however, there is a con-ed class for them b/c of the interface of gas drilling companies and going into the mountains where man normally wouldn't be.

I honestly did not even know what venomous snakes are native to Indiana before this thread, now that I have looked, I can rest in relative peace knowing my area is void of venomous snakes at ttime time. Of course when I lived in Missouri, we were void of armadillos for centuries until tthe early 2000's. :D

There is always some nut job that releases stuff that doesn't belong. We live in foothills of the Appalachian mountains, a relatively cool climate, with harsh winters and short summers. Rattlers and Copperheads are high in population, but last year the state park rangers were called to a lumber camp in their jurisdiction. A python was killed along the road. A yellow and white... Python. Clearly, not a native animal.

What's the benefit of washing the puncture site before venom detection takes place?

For the same benefit as flushing any injury--to help clean it. Venom isn't the only danger of snakebites, there's also the introduction of bacteria inherent in any penetrating injury, which is (if I'm not mistaken) the highest in penetrating injuries than any others (abrasions, lacerations, etc).

You don't want to treat the envenomation only for the patient to end up with a bad infection that causes more harm than the bite or venom alone would have.

Edited by Bieber

For the same benefit as flushing any injury--to help clean it. Venom isn't the only danger of snakebites, there's also the introduction of bacteria inherent in any penetrating injury, which is (if I'm not mistaken) the highest in penetrating injuries than any others (abrasions, lacerations, etc).

You don't want to treat the envenomation only for the patient to end up with a bad infection that causes more harm than the bite or venom alone would have.

Also it removes any external venom left behind from the bite. Don't need extra venom to enter the puncture site.

Here is what we carry on our rigs (got to love rural EMS :D) note:the link is to a camping supply website with an excellent discription of the product and photo. We ge ours from a different supplier but it is the same product.

I have not been on a bite call so I can not comment on what to do but I would say have something in place for sure. Especially if it will be a trained handler during a show, he would know what he is bringing. Also I have heard (just word of mouth here) that some snake wranglers (what they call expo guys here) carry their own antivenom to the shows just in case.

I know if its a wild call everything changes but it is something to find out for a control environment.

I have seen 2 snake bites in the last 5 years. Both were non-venomous snakes. Care was clean the wound and update tetanus. I think in your situation, preparation is going to be your best bet. Find out what kinds of snakes are going to be there. If they are non-venomous, no big deal (though don't forget, some spectator may bring their own snake that is not on the list). Also know where the closest anti-venin is located before you need it. This article from emedicine might be helpful also.

Another thing to remember is that just because someone's been bitten, it doesnt mean they've been envenomated.

Since the snake in question is suffering from some snake form of GSS (General Stress Syndrome), the muscles around the venom sacs in the snake may not constrict, and therefore does not inject venom into the victim. Because of this, a snake bite victim may range from nonvenomation to partial venomation, to the full load of venom.

Knowing the snakes that are indigenous to your particular neck of the woods is a good idea, that way when someone tries to describe the markings, you'll have an idea of what snake it might have been. Rarely if ever will you find someone who's been bitten sitting alongside the carcass of the biter.

Most snakes would rather leave than strike, and usually only strike when they're cornered by humans. Feeding is a whole different matter. Snakes will only strike at what they plan to eat, and humans aren't on the menu.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.