King Airway RECALL

island emt

Don't know how many of you are using this airway, or if you had received this notice.

This is caused by a possible lack of sterility in the surgilube packet that is included with the King LTD & LTD-S airways

To All Chiefs,

You should have received this from Bound Tree this is just a follow up.

Re: King Systems – Urgent Recall for Sterile Lubricating jelly in LT-D and LTS-D Kits

Bound Tree Medical was recently advised about a King Systems recall for Sterile Lubricating Jelly, which is included in their T-D and LTS-D kits. This recall includes Bound Tree Medical Item #’s

477-KLTD2125EA, 477-KLTD212EA, 477-KLTD213EA, 477-KLTD214EA,

447-KLTD215EA, 447-KLTSD413EA, 447-KLTSD414EA, and 447-KLTSD415EA.

Their records indicate that you may have purchased one or more of these kits.

Should you determine your inventory contains recalled product, please set it aside and contact Bound Tree Medical’s customer service department at 800-642-5464.

If you have any additional questions pertaining to the recall, please contact Kings System’s customer service department at 800-642-5464.

It's only the lubricating jelly they supply in the package that's being recalled. According the the recall notice, there is a potential risk of infection from the lubricating jelly. The device itself is fine. What our agency has been instructed to do, until replacements can be obtained, is simply to tape a new packet of surgilube or other lubricant to the package, and warn providers to use the new packet of lubricant, not the one supplied with the King.

Kings they sent out after a couple week backorder should be OK though? Correct? I need to double check my stock in the AM, thanks.

What's really interesting is there's no indication that Triad's lubricant is contaminated, rather, they just had -an issue with their recordkeeping.

Awesome. Love tort-ridden America. :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

My stock was ok, we switched from Combi to King in January, we had to wait about 3 weeks to get the new stock of King's in due to a back order.

I also got a new recall notice today, a hardness issue in some tubes causing flexing and crimping during insertion, I don't know the specifics as I wasn't included in that one either so I discarded the letter.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the difference between a king and a combi. Are they both dual lumen?

They are both non-visualized.

This is a King:

250v8-KingLTD.jpg

This is a Combi:

ct-ueb1x.jpg

The King is designed to where it can not be placed in the trachea, so a dual lumen is not needed.

“It is important to note that no inadvertant tracheal intubation, which would lead to complete obstruction of the airway, occurred. Even using a laryngoscope, we were not able to place the laryngeal tube in the trachea due to the form and length of the tube.”

Genzwuerker H et al. The Laryngeal Tube: A New Adjunct for Airway Management. Prehosp Emerg Care 2000; 4(2): 168-72.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.