Paramedic NGOs

Quakefire

Howdy

Hopefully by this time next year I will be a fully licensed Paramedic, and aside from working I would like to volunteer my time with a NGO like Global Medic, and I'm looking for peoples experiences and thoughts on the whole process. Thanks for your thoughts

CMAT

http://www.canadianrelief.ca/

attn: Bill Coltart

GlobalMedic

http://www.globalmedic.ca/

Rahul ... a good man but hes putting on a few extra lbs ..LOL.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/802288--toronto-paramedic-makes-time-magazine-s-most-influential-list

'mobey'

A good local company is International SOS.

I know multiple people who work for them, and have good things too say.

Good .. debatable I know six that would dispute that (mostly Americans)

Local ... NO US owned, world wide for profit organization, no humanitarian work, Calgary, Philadelphia, Paris, Singapore offices .

Edited by tniuqs

Thanks alot Squint! CMAT looks cool, plus there is a senior member here in Saskatoon. Global Medic I have looked into, but it seems easier if your a Toronto or area medic. Is it just me or is International SOS sound more like a private hospital for people abroad than a help people in disaster areas type company (from their website atleast)

Thanks alot Squint! CMAT looks cool, plus there is a senior member here in Saskatoon. Global Medic I have looked into, but it seems easier if your a Toronto or area medic. Is it just me or is International SOS sound more like a private hospital for people abroad than a help people in disaster areas type company (from their website atleast)

Just a elderly word of advice careful for what you ask for in the humanitarian area, one can get in over their head's in a new york heartbeat. When the shooting starts and machetes are getting waved in the air ... well it puts a different perspective on it.

In a natural disaster (anywhere) within a very short time the rule becomes: Might makes anything Right.

The trend is smaller teams, back door access as UN and Red Cross/Cresent get's very logistically complex. Global got into Port au Prince way before the US military did, to supply water with their very kool pelican box osmotic filter kits .... but not without risk.

cheers

ISOS does do international work but don't let the name fool you ..

cheers

Dear Mr. Squint,

Thank you for your life-changing gift of 1 Goat from World Vision's Gift Catalogue! Your gift will be a blessing to a child and family in need, and a truly meaningful way to celebrate the promise of hope and new life. Thank you also for rounding up your order by $5 to provide even more help.

A charge of $105 will be placed on the credit card you provided. Your gift is fully tax-deductible and you will receive an acknowledgement in the mail within 14 business days. Income tax receipts are mailed out yearly in February for cumulative donations of $15 or more.

If you are honouring your friends or family with this gift and chose to receive cards in the mail, these will be sent to you within 7 to 10 business days. If you chose to send e-cards, they will be sent on the date you specified. Your friends or family will be thrilled to receive such a unique and meaningful gift!

Thank you for giving the gift of hope to children and families in need around the world.

We value your opinion.

Please tell us your thoughts about your giving experience. Five minutes of your time now will help us serve you better and help even more children in the future.

Sincerely,

Dave Toycen

President, World Vision Canada

P.S. Available all year round, World Vision's Gift Catalogue is a great way to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, or just to let someone know that you care! If you have any questions about your online gift, please contact us at info@worldvision.ca or 1-866-595-5550.

Quakefire: I like to do this these days (when I have some spare cash)

What convinced me when I found out that a gift of money that I donated to Haiti, well I found that the moneys our government "promised" to Haiti, this was a bad faced lie and very little of the moneys have ever reached the very people that need it the most. Don't doubt for a second a SCATHING letter was sent to our government :argue:

This is one of the reasons I support GlobalMedics, World Visions Canada and CRF now.

This documentary that I watched convinced me that the gift of an animal like a goat or chicken can change this world, one bleat or one cluck one fruit tree at a time .. http://wheresmygoat.com/wp/media/

Edited by tniuqs

I'll leave the joke about buying a goat (or was that a sheep) aside. But I like those ideas too. Hard to take admin fees and salaries out of a goat compared to cash donations. And thanks for the elderly advise, I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting myself into, but other readers might not, so it's nice to have that statement there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.