Graduating College...Back to School?

Thanks for all the advice!

You all really just confirmed my choice to continue on with my education, because really, EMTB's are a dime a dozen and it would be really difficult to live on that salary, especially if I try to pay for school later.

Kate, I've been looking at Howard CC as well as Cecil CC. Howard has been really difficult in trying to contact someone about more information, and although they have a solid program, they are a good hour's drive from me not counting rush hour traffic.

What are your opinions on AAS programs vs certificate programs? My reasoning is that having an AAS on top of my Bachelors isn't going to make me much more marketable. The skills are the same for both programs. The only thing that the AAS has over the certificate is A&P and other science classes (All of which I already have).

Thoughts?

Thanks for all the advice!

You all really just confirmed my choice to continue on with my education, because really, EMTB's are a dime a dozen and it would be really difficult to live on that salary, especially if I try to pay for school later.

Kate, I've been looking at Howard CC as well as Cecil CC. Howard has been really difficult in trying to contact someone about more information, and although they have a solid program, they are a good hour's drive from me not counting rush hour traffic.

What are your opinions on AAS programs vs certificate programs? My reasoning is that having an AAS on top of my Bachelors isn't going to make me much more marketable. The skills are the same for both programs. The only thing that the AAS has over the certificate is A&P and other science classes (All of which I already have).

Thoughts?

I would VERY strongly encourage you to go with the AAS program. I know that most of the country does NOT require paramedics to have their AAS, but in my state it's a requirement and though I don't know what it's like elsewhere, I would imagine that programs that require paramedics to be Associate's elegible versus those that do not are going to be: more dedicated to education, have a longer and/or more in depth curriculum, have instructors with higher level degrees (Bachelor's and above), and have and promote the attitude that higher education in EMS is the way to go, as opposed to certificate only programs that may be more focused on quantity rather than quality.

That you already have your Bachelor's is a big +1 to you, and I honestly feel that ALL paramedics SHOULD have their Bachelors and at the MINIMUM an Associate's. Right now I'm working on finishing up my Bachelor's in Biology and I'm going to be bridging to nursing next spring as well, but I'll tell you this, I AM Associate's elegible (just finished the program in December, getting the actual AAS sometime this spring, whenever graduation for the entire college is, I guess?) and I STILL don't feel like I've learned anywhere near as much as I should have. Education is a big thing to me, and it should be to you too and it obviously is because you've dedicated so much time, money and energy to it. This isn't the time to take any shortcuts, you've made the choice to go to paramedic school so now you need to make sure that decision is a good investment. And the best way for you to do that is to go for the highest available paramedic education you can access.

You're part of the wave of newer, smarter, better educated paramedics and you've already done a lot to elevate the profession and yourself by getting your Bachelor's. YOU are the future of paramedicine. So don't back down now and take the dying path of pursuing a certificate alone, get the full degree.

Do it.

Take it from me, I wish I would have continued my education before I decided to start my life. Now with a wife and a baby (and a bun in the oven) to think about, I can't just up and leave my job to start the next medic class I find. I have to make a very consious decision, and will probably have to wait a few more years solely due to the budgetary aspect of the deal.

School will give you the means to put food on the table, but school won't give you the food while you're in it.

If ya know what I mean there.