Graduating College...Back to School?

Hey all,

I've been on these boards for a few years now, mainly sitting back and learning from everyone, but now I have a question for you all. I've been an EMT-B for almost 4 years now; got my start volunteering doing 911, but since being in college my main area of EMS has been IFT. After much thought/debate/prayer, my heart is set on a career as a paramedic. It's the time of year where everyone at my University is lining up job interviews, going to job fairs, applying for grad school, but what should I do? Part of me just wants to be done with school for a while (K-12 and then 4 years of undergrad takes a lot out of you!) and jump right in as an EMT-B with the county fire department. While jumping right in as an EMT-B sounds good, I'm fearful that if I don't go back to school right away for my medic, then I will lose the motivation to do so.

This might sound bad, but as I'm looking around for schools to get my AA degree as a paramedic, I'm being turned off by some of the prerequisites that they want me to take...let me explain. As an undergrad I took a variety of science classes including A&P 1 and 2, and some of these paramedic programs will accept my A&P but want me to take the prerequisites for A&P even though I already have A&P! It just seems backwards to me. Why take the prerequisites when I already have the class?

So I guess my question can be summed up as this: Upon graduation, do I apply for classes in the Fall and begin my Paramedic studies? Or should I take some time off and work as an EMT-B? I feel like the answer is obvious, but any outside advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Westside

It's as simple as asking yourself do you want to be an EMT or do you want to be a paramedic? Paramedic school's tough, I know, I just got done with it. And I wish I'd had some experience as an EMT prior to doing it, but you can get experience working part time as an EMT while you're going through paramedic school.

Follow your heart, and do what makes you happy.

Go to paramedic school. Go now. Or as close to now as you possibly can.

Sit down with the school you're looking at and talk to them about honoring your college degree with regards to the pre-reqs for the paramedic program. They should be willing to work with you on this. If they're not willing to work with you, and this is really what you want to do, then suck it up and do it. They're the base classes so it shouldn't be too difficult for you.

As for being in school for 14 years straight taking a lot of out you, consider it this way. You're in the mindset to study. You won't have to worry about relearning how to study, take exams, prepare for class as you're already there. This is HUGE! I'm back in school now and relearning how to study for a formalized educational program was really tough. My younger classmates, however, had no trouble with it.

Good luck.

After 4 years as an EMTB, you certainly know what's going on. So as several have said here, the only question is do you want to be a paramedic? If so, NOW is the time. Don't stop, because chances are you may lose your motivation, and too often life gets in the way, not to mention the fact that advanced training opens up many more doors for you.

I have to agree with the others. Don't lose the momentum. If this is something you want to do...then continue on. If you aren't sure if it's what you want to do, then a break might just be the ticket.

If you get hired on with the county department , will they pay for some or all of your Paramedicine degree in return for indentured service?

If so go that route to save some money. You'll be working and learning at the same time.

Since I've gone back to school in my 40's, I can tell you that having to try to revert to the 'basics' is a bitch!

I'm getting smoked grade wise by my younger counterparts because this is still all 'fresh' to them. I've had to take several 'remedial courses' just to get up to speed with the classes I NEED for my degree.

If you go to work now, you'll be too busy trying to make ends meet on your meager salary (unless you can get in with a municipal agency) to go back to school. Add to that you'll probably make just enough to be disqualified for financial aid, (isn't that how it always seems to work out?). I was a licensed EMT-B for 12 years and looking back, I can't believe what a disservice I've been doing to my patients all these years by thinking I had it all nailed down; while knowing nothing at all.

If medic is where you want to be then continue on the track you're on. You're in school now, might as well stick with it until you've crossed the finish line. There will be a hundred reasons why you can't go back to school later, with a hundred more excuses waiting in the wings if those original ones get worn out.

You state you've been an EMT-B for 4 years. You've got more than enough 'experience' (if you subscribe to the thought process of needing experience before entering Medic School). The 'down side' there is that you've had 4 years to establish all sorts of 'bad habits' that are going to be tough to break.

As far as your classes, talk to your academic advisor and see what can be worked out about the prerequisites to A&P. If there's nothing that can be done, then you've got to 'suck it up, princess' and do what they require. It all boils down to how much you desire your AaS and your Medic credentials.

Good point, Kate.

Depending on where in Maryland you are, Washington County CC has been flexible in terms of honoring bachelor's degrees in lieu of course pre-reqs. I've known people who have gone through paramedic school there and have had some good success both with the program and professionally after graduation. Granted, it's been a few years since I've had friends there but I can't imagine the school's policies have changed that much.

For an accredited program, look at Anne Arundel County CC, Howard CC and UMBC.

Good luck.

I believe UMBC's program is still a 4-year program and I don't think the OP is interested in another 4 years?

If you get hired on with the county department , will they pay for some or all of your Paramedicine degree in return for indentured service?

If so go that route to save some money. You'll be working and learning at the same time.

Most of the counties in Maryland are not currently hiring. And those that I have experience with require BLS time first with Fire as well. It would take at least a year or until he was off probation to go through their paramedic training.

You can also look into Washington Hospital Center's EMT-I program.