Question for you instructor types...

Eydawn

14 members have voted

1. 1. When a student corrects me when I'm wrong, I...

• Get offended. I'm the instructor, and I am the authority figure- students should bring questions to me outside of class in a 1:1 setting.
    • Encourage the student to further explain their point, then reconcile the issue
    • I don't get stuff wrong when I teach! So there.
    • Other, and I'll explain in my post.

Without much information from eyedawn on the specifics, i would remind everyone of this:

1. Those who do, do, those who cant, teach, those who cant teach, dispatch.

2. Like someone responded, you are advanced in your knowledge because you have a medical background, most of the students in your class probably do not, and maybe the questions you ask in biology 101, would be answered in biology 102, so you are ahead of the class, and you may be bringing up topics that are too much for the current level of the class. Imagine if on day 1 of EMTB school, someone was asking questions about 12-Lead EKG.

3. Most nursing instructors are like me, they went to school over 25 years ago, and medicine has advanced tremendously. They have an obligation to stay "current", but many do not.

4. The teacher may be teaching "the test", not the knowledge; just as many EMT/medic schools teach you how to pass the Natl Registry Exam. Do any of us really care what order the KED straps should be fastened, and who has actually used a KED enough to make it something that should be a pass/fail on a test ?

5. It is usually better to choose to "be nice" versus "being right". As mentioned earlier, you could pay a heavy price for being the pain in the instructor's ass, and a spot in a nursing class these days is a very special spot to hold.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

1. Those who do, do, those who cant, teach, those who cant teach, dispatch.

Ahem. What about those of us who are doing and teaching, concurrently? :confused:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First of all Crochity, your point #1 has burned me for YEARS as an Instructor... typically regurgitated to us "instructor types" by those who don't have the ability to teach. Mercy, but sounds like someone got turned down for an Instructional Position. Me thinks thou dost protest to much.

"Do any of us really care what order the KED straps should be fastened, and who has actually used a KED enough to make it something that should be a pass/fail on a test ?"

NO ONE cares how the KED straps are placed except those old school medics who one night came up with the Top, Bottom, Middle BS. How they are placed has absolutely no change in how well restricted our patients are, just as long as the legs go next and the head is last. Come on out of the cave and play with the modern medics "y'all".

Not trying to bruise any egos here, but it's no wonder that we aren't viewed as professionals when we don't respect each other or stay up with current trends/modalities/procedures.

Oh, and back to the question at hand, (sorry to hijack your thread Wendy)....What I do in my classroom is challenge my students to prove themselves right. I don't get offended as long as they can prove their point and treat me with respect. chbare had it right.

Just my .02

AC

I am going to agree with chbare. You can bring up your concern as a concern, but be prepared to back it up with documentation, preferably from the text or outline they are teaching from.

Nursing Professors and instructors do not like to be challenged, certainly in front of the class. You would be best served by bringing it up quietly on break or after class. I think most professors would be open minded if it were brought up as a concern rather than an outright challenge to their credentials; and that is what it would be seen as most likely if you spoke out in class.

Like was said, I don't agree with a lot the of politics in Nursing school, and the culture is certainly unique to Nursing, but you need to get along to get along...if that makes any sense. Presentation is the whole battle. Just be sure you are correct most of the time... :whistle:

As far as for the "why"; there should always be a why. If the professor cannot explain why something is, then there is a bit of a disconnect somewhere. Telling you that the answer is because it is; I see this as a problem. A private meeting should sort this out, and usually does. Just explain that you need more background and cannot seem to find it on your own. Play to their control.

As he also said, EMS and Nursing cannot be compared; certainly in this setting. Do not rely on previous experience in EMS to pull you through Nursing school. Making comparisons outright in you courses will likely make a very difficult path to get through Nursing school. I hear things are slowly changing at University level with newer professors and instructors, but the "Nursing eats it young" adage still holds strong in most institutions I have been in..Sadly enough..

Sit back, learn, and enjoy Nursing school..As difficult as it can be, it can also be very fun and rewarding.. :thumbsup:

Edited by ccmedoc

Has anyone else noticed that crotchity posts something derogatory, but when directly asked to defend it, he disappears? Just sayin....

Wendy, you bring up valid points. Unfortunately, there are some instructors who still have that "I am the instructor and my word is law" mentality, and it sounds like you are coming face to face with that in this class. Sometimes, you have to pass a class despite the instructor.

If this is a case where this instructor presentrs incorrect information on a regular basis, make sure that you doecument each case. As others have said, do your research, and bring that information to the instructor - it may be beneficial to not do this in front of the rest of the class, as your instructor (unfortunately) may be more worried about their ego, than providing you with the correct information. If this instructo9r continues to dismiss your concerns, it may be worth going to the department head with your information.

Unfortunately, some instructors see their role more as "I am the boss" rather than being that of mentor and guide. Early on as an instructor, I found that students respect you far more when you are willing to say "I was wrong... let's review this and make sure we are all on the same page and get it right" than to give the high-and-mighty attitude. The goal should be to ensure students get the best information possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As for the nursing school question. Unfortunately some instructors in all different settings believe that everything they say and do are perfect. They also believe that they don't make mistakes. You will meet those types all through life. The fact that you realize they are giving you information that may not be correct means you are staying on top of the material and you will get out of the class what you are putting into it. As for how to handle that particular instructor all you can do is respectively ask to clarify what they had said. If you are met with resistance or get a "talking too" that may be a battle not worth fighting. As many say a seat in nursing school these days is a very special place indeed. Keep doing what your doing and studying the information. I always tell people your one text book that you have is just a source for information. Its not the end all be all of everything. Focus on learning and understanding the topics at hand instead of memorizing information out of one source. Good luck to you in your studies. I hope that you find those good instructors that understand that we are all human and make mistakes.

Has anyone else noticed that crotchity posts something derogatory, but when directly asked to defend it, he disappears? Just sayin....

Wendy, you bring up valid points. Unfortunately, there are some instructors who still have that "I am the instructor and my word is law" mentality, and it sounds like you are coming face to face with that in this class. Sometimes, you have to pass a class despite the instructor.

If this is a case where this instructor presentrs incorrect information on a regular basis, make sure that you doecument each case. As others have said, do your research, and bring that information to the instructor - it may be beneficial to not do this in front of the rest of the class, as your instructor (unfortunately) may be more worried about their ego, than providing you with the correct information. If this instructo9r continues to dismiss your concerns, it may be worth going to the department head with your information.

Unfortunately, some instructors see their role more as "I am the boss" rather than being that of mentor and guide. Early on as an instructor, I found that students respect you far more when you are willing to say "I was wrong... let's review this and make sure we are all on the same page and get it right" than to give the high-and-mighty attitude. The goal should be to ensure students get the best information possible.

I have been reading several posts that crotchity has posted on, I think he is just trying to get a rise out of whoever the poster is. Go figure.... I also think you summed up how to handle the instructor problem in a nut shell.

• 2 weeks later...
Do any of us really care what order the KED straps should be fastened, and who has actually used a KED enough to make it something that should be a pass/fail on a test ?

Yes, I do.

We also teach the reasoning behind the strap orders as far as best practices. This helps to keep them following the procedures we teach for years, rather than making up their own without fully understanding the process.

And as an EMT, I use it on every sitting, stable, spinal immobilization patient I came upon when ALS is delayed. Don't feel right teaching something, but not doing it myself in the field.

Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the trip.