Question for you instructor types...

Eydawn

14 members have voted

1. 1. When a student corrects me when I'm wrong, I...

• Get offended. I'm the instructor, and I am the authority figure- students should bring questions to me outside of class in a 1:1 setting.
    • Encourage the student to further explain their point, then reconcile the issue
    • I don't get stuff wrong when I teach! So there.
    • Other, and I'll explain in my post.

Question for you instructor types. My nursing class is having some issues. Material is not necessarily always being presented correctly, and sometimes we're given an answer with "that's just the answer" and things don't go so smoothly when some of us try to figure out the "why."

When you as an instructor present something incorrectly, do you feel threatened when a student points it out? How do you handle this kind of situation?

Just trying to get a feel from the other side...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Is this a question of a personality conflict, a different teaching style, technique, or is the instructor giving incorrect information?

If the latter, do some homework, find the answer- preferably from multiple sources- to support your opinion, and present it Say something like- "I do not understand, and need some help grasping the concept." Be as nonthreatening and nonconfrontational as possible. Sounds like the instructor has some ego issues, so you probably need to be careful how you handle this- especially if you may see this instructor again in another class.

It's up to the instructor to give out correct information, but mistakes can happen. Anyone who is worth their salt as a teacher needs to be able to admit when they are wrong.

An instructor should never take it personally since ultimately the goal is learning. Not to mention, on occasion even I have gotten so engrossed in a lecture that the words have come out backwards. Please, someone stop me and ask if that is what I really meant. Better that then having the class walk out with the wrong information.

Now, if you feel that information is consistently being presented incorrectly, you might want to talk to the instructor or even the program director. Occasional bad info is one thing...but consistent bad information is another.

...it's all in how you do it...

• Like 1

I had a similar situation during my EMT-B classes. I was taken aside at break time and given a 'stern talking to' for asking for clarification on information I knew to be flat out wrong, or inconclusive.

I was told that I was asking questions and making comments that were 'too advanced for where the class is at this point'. Why am I 'wrong' because I know the information to be incorrect, and because I know what questions to ask ... even if my classmates don't?

Just because you're at the front of the classroom doesn't mean that you're infallible. Just because you as an instructor have to cater to the ‘lowest common denominator’ doesn’t mean that those that are further advanced are challenging you. Just as we have to do our ‘homework’ as students, you as an instructor must do your ‘homework’ as well!

As an instructor, it’s your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide to your students is current and as up to date as possible.

Why should an instructor feel ‘threatened’ by a student that has either 1) enough knowledge to know you’ve presented ‘bad information’, or 2) has done enough research into the topic to be able to ask ‘those kinds of questions? One would expect that the instructor would actually be proud that their students were in a position to ask 'those questions', by self study and initiative to do research on the topic themselves.

We as students are asking these questions so that we ARE getting the most current information, and are grasping the content of your lecture. Don’t feel threatened because one or more students know the proper questions to ask!

As an instructor, you should keep in mind that since I'm providing the tuition (whether from financial aid or 'out of pocket'), this educational opportunity IS 'all about ME'! I don't expect to be 'spoon fed' the course content, but I DO expect it to be correct and up to date...

As a person who suffered through nursing school, my best advise is to be careful about choosing your battles. While I absolutely agree that instructors should be obligated to teach correct information, my experiences with some nursing instructors are that you will be in for a long and exceedingly painful trip by choosing to contradict said instructors. It is not right, I disagree with it; however, there is an unwritten saying I often hear and it goes something like "cooperate to graduate." It is a sad state no doubt, but an uphill battle that will typically lead to the student loosing regardless of what is actually correct.

This is a curious dichotomy, because I actually want my paramedic students to call me out and challenge anything I say that sounds suspect; however, I require that they present a compelling case. As long as you call me out respectfully and can back up your stance, I take absolutely no offense. The environment in my classes is unfortunately very different from other classes at the same college. What can make it even more difficult is I am an instructor at one moment, then immediately transition into student mode the next moment.

Unfortunately, my tendency to question, debate and argue has made the last two and a half years more painful than they had to be. ( I must admit that for the most part, my instructors have been fairly patient with my behaviour.) So, I can appreciate the OP's point of view, but know that challenging instructors can make your life much harder than it needs to be in some cases. Good luck and strive to never be that type of instructor.

Eyedawn, I suspect that by now you recognise that nursing school has a culture all it's own? It is exceedingly difficult to compare EMS education to the nursing school experience because nursing school really is very different from any other type of educational experience I have ever been a part of.

Take care,

chbare.

I had a similar situation during my EMT-B classes. I was taken aside at break time and given a 'stern talking to' for asking for clarification on information I knew to be flat out wrong, or inconclusive.

I was told that I was asking questions and making comments that were 'too advanced for where the class is at this point'. Why am I 'wrong' because I know the information to be incorrect, and because I know what questions to ask ... even if my classmates don't?

The only time I think I would have a conversation with the student is if (a) they are monopolizing the time of the other students/slowing down the pace or (2) if they are being disruptive to the class. One thing about asking the "advanced" questions is, the others may not be as far along as you. I'd ask that you save those for after class or for later in the course.

You see, you aren't the only one who paid tuition. :whistle:

Question for you instructor types. My nursing class is having some issues. Material is not necessarily always being presented correctly, and sometimes we're given an answer with "that's just the answer" and things don't go so smoothly when some of us try to figure out the "why."

When you as an instructor present something incorrectly, do you feel threatened when a student points it out? How do you handle this kind of situation?

Just trying to get a feel from the other side...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wendy,

Is it possible your instructor is just trying to encourage you to find out the "why" on your own, and not take up the scheduled time for it? Possibly they just haven't done a good job at communicating this?

Obviously we can't draw all the conclusions with out sitting in class with you.

My experience in college was that some profs had a very tight schedule and a very organized routine to their classes. Sometimes they don't have the time devoted to be able and relate the WHY clearly enough, so they encourage the self study aspect.

Just a thought to consider, I don't know if it makes any sense in your situation or not.

Unfortunately I have been in a similar predicament, while not from the academic perspective I certainly surcome to some troubles on my last clinical placement in my nursing diploma class. I didn’t see eye to eye with the course coordinator (not many people do), an issue arose to which I questioned and unfortunately it was taken as ‘how dare you question me in front of a patient’. I was failed on professional conduct and effective communication to which the issue blew up bigger than Ben Her and resulted in me fronting up to the Nurses Registration Board to please explain. Anywho, it all boiled down to personal conflict, everything was dismissed and I was awarded my registration to the course coordinators dismay. In the diploma class I was often put down for ‘focusing on the medical care rather than nursing care’, being to in-depth, being to advanced, I needed to be mindful of working to my scope of practise or even being irrelevant to class discussion.

I’m finding University much more suited to my learning needs, were encouraged to research further and extend our knowledge as much as we desire. The only problem I have is being from a rural campus all our lectures are broadcast from our metropolitan counterparts, there’s often technical issues, you can’t ask questions and our teachers aren’t familiar with the content that’s being broadcast and sometimes it takes weeks for them to consult with the metropolitan teachers in order to correctly respond to our questions. Sometimes the content can be a tad overwhelming and very fast paced, I particularly had trouble with the medication module, it was very in-depth with pharmacology, cells, pharmodynamics and the like. Trying to get a grip on all that then moving onto drug calculations (which certainly isn’t my strong point) mix in some practical skills labs, the stress of upcoming exams and you suddenly find yourself knee deep in stress and information! Needless to say the teachers were more than happy to spend some time out of class with smaller groups and on occasions individually which proved invaluable.

I can certainly relate to your situation Wendy, especially in our diploma class. Some teachers had the mentality of I don’t know, lets just stick to the course curriculum, that’s all the information I’m required to give you on these powerpoint slides, stop asking question its pay day tomorrow! My suggestion is to get some mentors or the like outside of class, I had some very knowledgeable RN friends and doctors who helped me consolidate my learning.

Hi Wendy,

To answer your questions directly, I don't feel threatened if the student in question presents the info in a professional manner with evidence to support his/her view point. If they can, in fact, back up their position then I'm more than happy to review the info and maybe even alter the material I'm teaching if there is new evidence or changes of which I'm not aware.

This type of situation can be handled a few ways. Generally, however, I'll ask them to back up their info. If they can't, I'll offer the opportunity for them to research and come back with supporting evidence. If they can't we move forward with an invitation to chat after class. With any particular point in question we'll revisit it later after time to allow for research has passed.

I know you know this, but remember that academia is different from daily practice. They may simply be teaching some material for testing purposes. This would certainly explain the "That's just the answer" responses you've been getting.

CHBARE has made some very excellent points. You've heard some of what I'm dealing with in my program and I'm in a similar position where I know the information being presented is just flat out wrong. You and I are both in a position where we need to be exceedingly careful about which battles we choose to fight.

School is a big game. Sometimes we just have to play along to get along.

Hang in there.

If I make a mistake I appreciate the correction so all can get accurate info.

I do find often though when people keep asking for a deeper explanation they are jumping ahead of where the class as a whole is which can lead to confusion. So I at times have to stop the question and mention that we will get into that information at a later date. As others mentioned the instructor has to work hard to keep the class on track so all can benefit.