Autopulse

ellis8934

Hello everyone, I am a paramedic in eastern Missouri. At this time the district I am currently employed with does not have autopulses. Many surrounding districts do utilize them, but have mixed reviews. I was wondering if anyone out there has any positive or negative feedback on this subject. Thanks, be safe.

I have never used one, but I do know one thing...

I had one strapped to me as a demonstration. Turns out it would have done some severe chest trauma, as I am too narrow chested.

Once applied, you have too ensure the piston makes contact with the chest, otherwise it cannot be used. Although I am a 30 y/o male, it is not one size fits all as the manufacturer may suggest.

We have the Autopulse in the service in which I am employed. I have only used it once. I find it cumbersome to carry, it weighs a freakin ton and as Mobey states, it is NOT one size fits all. Due to the demographics of our district, the bands we have rarely fit on the majority of our patients. I don't know if it can be programmed to the current AHA CPR standards or not, but I do know ours aren't.

We have the ability to call a code in field here. The only way we transport codes here are if we have some ROSC on scene. I think the only benefit to the Autopulse is it's use enroute to the the hospital for compressions. If you have ROSC however, are you still doing compressions? So, unless we have the aforementioned ROSC, a firefighter, or bystander for that matter, can preform adequate CPR on scene.

I'm not a fan of the Autopulse. I suppose it has it's place, but I think the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.

Just so happens i was talking with my zoll rep today.

my service has had them for several years now. They only work for a very specific pt type (150-250 lbs, 5'5"-6' tall, otherwise relatively health person)

The pt has to be securely strapped to the devise. Zoll is going to be shipping out a lithium battery in the coming months, to take the place of the current batteries which need to be rotated daily. It's a good product, does what it's suppose to do (with practice)

Just so happens i was talking with my zoll rep today. my service has had them for several years now. They only work for a very specific pt type (150-250 lbs, 5'5"-6' tall, otherwise relatively health person)The pt has to be securely strapped to the devise. Zoll is going to be shipping out a lithium battery in the coming months, to take the place of the current batteries which need to be rotated daily. It's a good product, does what it's suppose to do (with practice)
So your recommending a $15-20k device that only fits one segment of the population that doesn't arrest all that often (relatively healthy) and as noted before had a trial halted because a few patients that were brought in had multi-trauma caused by the device, and is difficult enough to use that the "with practice" caveat has to be added? What's inadequate about CPR? The autopulse has only been shown to work as well as CPR. I'll stick to a high-drag, low-speed mark 1 mod 0 firefighter... Edited by usalsfyre

I don't see how such a large expenditure can be justified for something that has not been shown to benefit patients. Don't just listen to what the Zoll reps will tell you about increased cerebral perfusion or anything like that, read the literature. If it doesn't help the patient, why spend so much money on it?

And if someone were to respond with the EMS provider safety issue then we would need to look at why cardiac arrest patients are even being transported.

In case anyone is interested in reading a good review of the lit:

http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/details/file/985305/CD007260.html

And if someone were to respond with the EMS provider safety issue then we would need to look at why cardiac arrest patients are even being transported.

Come On ... you didn't know that the media would be forced to stop using the phrase.

The victim was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead .

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.