EMS Director

congomedic

Can a Medical Doctor with no management or EMS experience effectively function as EMS Medical Director and EMS Chief? Better yet can someone with no EMS experience effectively manage an EMS Agency and help the department to get from point A to Z?

Though it sounds as if you come here with an ax to grind, it is an interesting question. I've not heard of that situation occurring. I can't imagine why a physician would have any desire to be an EMS manager but I can't see any reason why s/he shouldn't be able to manage it very well.

I'm wondering if someone might have their nose bent out of shape due to some new oversight and training requirements. When you say 'department' would you mean fire department by any chance?

Dwayne

Can a Medical Doctor with no management or EMS experience effectively function as EMS Medical Director and EMS Chief?

So you're asking if an MD, a medical doctor, with four years of medical school and at least three years of residency training, can effectively fill the roll of the medical director, who's job includes overseeing and ensuring adequate and appropriate medical care provided by those covered under his/her license? Am I understanding the first part of this question correctly?

If you seriously have to ask that question then I, too, have to wonder what the motivation is behind your question.

Of *course* a medical doctor who meets the above requirements, regardless of management or EMS experience, can effectively function as an EMS medical director. Medicine is medicine regardless of where it's practiced.

Can an MD effectively function as an EMS chief? I think I'd place a lot more trust in an MD functioning as a chief than just about every single chief I've ever had... all of whom, by the way, were career EMS providers. And why not? Physicians can be whackers, too.

Is this to say that *every* physician could fill the role? No, of course not. But somehow I don't think the broad brush you're painting with is allowing for this possibility.

Better yet can someone with no EMS experience effectively manage an EMS Agency and help the department to get from point A to Z?

Yes! Absolutely yes! In most cases, I think someone with no EMS experience could effectively manage an EMS agency *BETTER* than a career EMS provider. In fact, I would like to see more EMS agencies managed by someone with no EMS experience. Administration is administration. It doesn't change much from agency to agency or industry to industry. The details may be different but the same basic qualities of leadership can be easily applied regardless of industry specific details.

A good leader will take the time to learn the industry and details of the agency. At this level of management prior experience within the industry isn't always a necessary requirement. Not having that experience may make for a more steep learning curve. But that doesn't mean a good leader with little or no industry experience can't adequately manage an agency, any agency, to success.

I'm wondering if someone might have their nose bent out of shape due to some new oversight and training requirements. When you say 'department' would you mean fire department by any chance?

I'm wondering the exact same thing. Perhaps we'll be enlightened.

Can a Medical Doctor with no management or EMS experience effectively function as EMS Medical Director and EMS Chief? Better yet can someone with no EMS experience effectively manage an EMS Agency and help the department to get from point A to Z?

It depends on the individual, is EMS experience essential to be a manager ?

I would hazard a guess that it would be helpful understanding some of the daily requirements as in peak hours, and the politics.

cheers

It depends on the individual, is EMS experience essential to be a manager ?

I would hazard a guess that it would be helpful understanding some of the daily requirements as in peak hours, and the politics.

cheers

I've seen worse politics in the hospital I worked at than anywhere in the EMS field. And someone who has been a LEO administrator, for instance, could probably do a good job as an EMS admin. I think if the person who wants to be the admin has experience as admin, then they would most likely do a better job than most street medics who promote to supervisor with no additional training or education as an administrator.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No ax to grind, no bent noses, no rebellion to new oversight, nor training requirements in fact the would be MD was welcomed with open arms by all including myself a lover of change and new ways of doing things. However we all expected an agressive medical protocol, we have none, establishment of a full ALS service. But the time spent so far has been more than enough time to make at least some significant changes to which there are none. Constant blunders are being made but the MD in question does not actively listen. Now MD/EMS Chief want to add telemedicine but theres no medicine and worst the units are literally falling apart. oh and is also a micro manager.

My question was more or less to see if there has been any other experiences similar to this. There are quite a number of MD's who have had a significant impact on EMS and have really been the driving force behind EMS such as Dr. Eugene Nagal, .Dr. Bryan Bledsoe and many others. But like one blogger mentioned "not every MD" is cut out for the job and I think we stumble on one.I strongly feel they would be better suited focussing on a Medical Director's role ....

Oh and at the same time the Chiefs position requirements was changed.Now unless you're an MD you cannot ascend to the post. Thats just my 25 cents on the matter. Again no ax to grind!

I've seen worse politics in the hospital I worked at than anywhere in the EMS field. And someone who has been a LEO administrator, for instance, could probably do a good job as an EMS admin. I think if the person who wants to be the admin has experience as admin, then they would most likely do a better job than most street medics who promote to supervisor with no additional training or education as an administrator.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I agree with that .In fact a street medic with no management training who was put in position based on years is a recipe for disaster and yes we've been through that too. Politricks to the 10th power I say!

. Again no ax to grind!

Would you like to borrow my AXE ... I have a couple spare. :whistle:

http://www.lifesupportintl.com/products/Axe_Aircraft_Crash-946-107.html

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Congo, yeah man, in that context I get what you mean exactly. Is this a paid service?

My apologies for my misrepresenting your intentions. But, the flip side is that I will bet you dollars to donuts that the next 10 people that come in with a like question will be firemen pissed off at the new testing standards of their new fathead buttsniffing medical director. But that's not excuse for not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that, I'm afraid you're already finding the answers to your questions, right? Can a doc do an awesome job as an EMS leader? Of course. Does it look like your doc is going to? Unfortunately, not so far..but it's early in the game yet!

Welcome brother, keep your chin up.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.