Civilian Pararescue/SWAT

First off, why did you leave ATC ???

Also, You are too old for Pararescue, i'm fairlyt certain the cutoff for the USAF is 29. If you meant civilian medevac units, there are not many opportunities for on Long Island. Nassau County use cops, who are medics, and Suffolk uses civilian crews out of Stonybrook, but the competition to get that job is 1,000 applicants for maybe one or two positions. Good luck to you anyway .

I don't know if the OP is still around and I'm a little late to the party, as usual, but I'll add my 2 cents.

Gin, I grew up in Suffolk County and spent 10 years in EMS there (also did medical school and residency at SB). There is NO SWAT or pararescue type stuff for civilians. If you want to do that you will need to get into the SCPD, and as you know that is near impossible. As for becoming a flight medic in Suffolk, the helicopter is run by SCPD and staffed with a SBU paramedic. The paramedics are strictly medical personel. If there is a situation that requires special skill such as going down a rope, etc, an ESU guy will be pulled to do that. To be a SBU flight medic you have to work for University EMS or medical control for some time before they will consider you. It's not something you are going to be able to jump into overnight. As an EMT, you can get hired by the EMS office and get to work on ground transports (usually as a driver). It's not sexy but it gets your foot in the door. The problem is you will be competing against every other EMT in Suffolk (a dime for 2 dozen).

• 2 weeks later...

I bring a little different perspective to the discussion. The OP may be gone but someone late may show up with the same thoughts in mind.

The people that have been answering are medics that know their profession well. I'm not one of them. However, I am a SWAT cop and have a pretty decent understanding of that world. Before any team that I know of would consider allowing a civilian medic to work with them he is going to have to be proven in the field. We may not be the FD but we do work with EMS types on a regular basis. Unless we recognize you as being at the top of your profession don't even bother asking. However, if and when you are able to prove to us that you are in fact a great medic then get in touch with the leadership of the SWAT team(s) in your area. For the competent amazing things can happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone, adrenaline rush is no reason for a career, and law enforcement is not near as "exciting" as you think, and when it is, it probably means your life is in danger, so I would suggest you try bungee jumping or join a sex club to release that adrenaline instead.

But with that being said, in more rural areas, it is not uncommon for the SWAT Team to create a medic team from their existing EMS (not a civilian). So there is the opportunity for you to do both jobs, just probably not in the urban areas of the country. Larger police departments will send their own folks to EMT school.

If the OP IS still around, I just reread the entire string, forgetting I had already posted in it. If you want to explain to the interviewers why you want to become a member of the EMS conmunity, explain thusly: "They helped me at a time of my need, saving my life. I got, now I want to give back."

• 1 month later...

Im glad I saw this post. I am on the fence on if I want to go into the fire service or LE. I heard a blurb about a tactical medic on a SWAT team and it caught my attention for obvious reasons. If i chose to go into LE will having my EMT-B give me an advantage over other applicants?

Im glad I saw this post. I am on the fence on if I want to go into the fire service or LE. I heard a blurb about a tactical medic on a SWAT team and it caught my attention for obvious reasons. If i chose to go into LE will having my EMT-B give me an advantage over other applicants?

It would only help if the LE agency gives a pay differential to EMTs, or provides some sort of EMS or first response, which few agencies do. It will not help you get onto SWAT. Without street experience, it's unlikely to help you at all.

'zilla

• 3 weeks later...

I created my thoughts from there. What part did I take out of context? Your ejaculation may not have been premature, but it's clear that an orgasm is your primary driving force here. Paramedic medicine is a calm, professional, educated endeavor...there should be no sprayin' going on at all.

Again, I'm unclear which part of my post was ill advised, and I believe the judgmental TV comment was reasonably supported. I'll be more than happy to discuss this and/or explain my reasoning but I'm going to need you to be more specific if you can.

Having been a member of this forum for a few days longer than you I'm confident that I almost always remember what it's about. What it's not is a coffee house, a volly fire house where we share bullshit stories of glorious heroism, or a place where we try and encourage new members to get started off with misconceptions. My post was intended to help you, and it's unfortunate if it offended you, but you should also know that above all else EMS is a profession of introspection and hard truths.

Truly, all due respect to you as well.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I love you man!

Scrat...

P.S..I think I just peed a little... :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know that because I'm a female I can't actually do pararescue in the military, but are there any possibilities for something of the sort in a civilian environment?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.