St Albert Hiring

kevkei

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been around but here is a selfish post.

I have added some emphasis to the posting below to highlight some points.

Emergency Services Personnel - Permanent Full-Time

Emergency Services Personnel - Fire Services - Permanent Full-Time

St. Albert has been called "Alberta's Finest City" and for good reason!

St. Albert is an amazing, family-oriented City that is well known for the quality of services it provides to citizens. With over 100 years of service to its credit, St. Albert Fire Services plays an integral role in shaping and serving our community.

The Opportunity:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St. Albert Fire Services is currently seeking dynamic and qualified individuals to fill permanent Emergency Services Personnel positions. As a fully integrated team, all of our Emergency Services Personnel are trained to provide excellent fire suppression, rescue and emergency medical services. In addition, all employees have the opportunity to: participate in enhanced training opportunities, contribute to the ongoing development and integration of best practices and to provide public safety education to future generations.

Qualifications:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Candidates seeking an Emergency Services Personnel position must have the following qualifications:

A Grade 12 diploma

EMT-A Certification

Current registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics

N.F.P.A. 1001 Training or equivalent

A valid Class 3/4 License with Q endorsement

Ability to pass a medical assessment

Ability to obtain a security clearance

A minimum of 20/30 corrected, normal colour vision (wearing glasses is considered 'corrected')

No hearing impairments

Preferred candidates will also have:

EMT-P Certification

Experience providing Advanced Life Support (ALS)

Superior interpersonal and communication skills

A strong interest in continuing education

Experience working with diverse teams

A passion for the field of emergency services and applying best practices.

The City of St. Albert selects all candidates on the basis of merit.

Please note that an eligibility list for filling future vacancies will be created from candidates that successfully complete the recruitment process.

So what does this mean? It means the City wants to hire Paramedics and if you are looking for a change or to get away from some of the burdens of AHS direct delivery, now is your chance. In the past they have hired EMT's that don't have their 1001's.

I'm hearing from 2-10 to start with the possibility of additional numbers if funding is given for additional ambulances (speculating on that).

There has been some discussion about the process, not sure of the exact specifics yet and how it will pan out. The City is aware of a number of different issues such as starting wages (credit for previous experience), fitness testing, interest in working only EMS, etc. and it sounds like they are working on resolutions to these issues.

The big one is the eligibility list for future vacancies so get your name in if you are interested.

Edited by kevkei

Hey kevkei, long time - no post :)

I beg you not to take this personally, but I have heard horror stories from students of St. Albert about "initiations" so-to-speak, that may have been over the top.

What should a rookie expect in that aspect as I have some friends whom may want to apply, but I would feel pretty bad if I passed on the posting only to have them treated poorly.

Again: Please do not take this as a personal attack. Just an opportunity to clear the air.

Do they consider grumpy old codgers with attitudes, that limp, creak and have hair growing out of their ears ? just asking for a friend :devilish:

Is Cunningham the Medical Director ?

I beg you not to take this personally, but I have heard horror stories from students of St. Albert about "initiations" so-to-speak, that may have been over the top.

What should a rookie expect in that aspect as I have some friends whom may want to apply, but I would feel pretty bad if I passed on the posting only to have them treated poorly.

Again: Please do not take this as a personal attack. Just an opportunity to clear the air.

Hey Mobey,

No worries, I don't take the actions of others personally! I can't speak to the individual horror stories as I don't know what the issues were but I'd love to hear about it, maybe send me a PM with an outline.

I don't use the term 'rookie' and don't condone rookie treatment. Usually it depends on multiple factors like age, experience, life history, back-bone. I'd like to say all are treated with respect by all others, but that would be an utopian idea. Generally, the new guy stuff is taking initiative and being motivated to do station duties, etc. It can vary from station to station and platoon to platoon with some being awesome and some just okay. It usually comes down to 'individuals'.

'Initiations' for the most part, I haven't seen or heard of in a long time. The exception might be a soaking by a bucket or a hose, but even then... I never had any issues with anything along these lines.

Do they consider grumpy old codgers with attitudes, that limp, creak and have hair growing out of their ears ? just asking for a friend :devilish:

Is Cunningham the Medical Director ?

You can pass along to your 'friend' they will consider everyone. As the posting from HR said, all positions are filled on the basis of merit and experience is welcomed. (This is the position of HR who are the ones who actually have the power to hire)

Medical director? Where have you been, it's the same as Metro. Sookram is the AHS regional director and for the integrateds it is Rick Scheirer. Before transition it was Chris Westover.

Medical director? Where have you been, it's the same as Metro. Sookram is the AHS regional director and for the integrateds it is Rick Scheirer. Before transition it was Chris Westover.

Not being a member of either the elite AHS or the Integrated services (hey I thought this was a take over of all EMS services for improved utilization centralization standardisation and efficiency?)

I do not have access to AHS protected website, I tried but was politely denied (maybe access was denied because of that parking ticket in 1996) so without timely information it is difficult if not impossible to keep up. I don't know the secret handshake either <sniff> which is very upsetting.

I did manage somehow to obtain my BCAS ACP licensure and managed to pass the BC OFA level 3, whoo hoo look at the big brain on me ! I can hardly contain my exuberance in my new found skill set. ps BCAS has a secret website too its called CUPE.

I guess I have been hiding away from the confusion although I still do converse with Raj Sherman on occasion ;) perhaps I am waiting around for a change to responsible government, as its just a matter of when. As you could predict I have been questioning some of the Wisdom in EBM protocols (they are more akin to meta studies with some personal preference's in some cases) oddly enough very little timely feedback at all when I ask those that wear white shirts and scrubs. Like ketamine at a odd dose, no etomodate and CPAP devices chosen based on cost not if they actually work ... you know minor stuff like that.

Kev: I still don't understand "many" things about this "transition" it seams the dribble down effect and info I receive is just "reactive" to local politics, as of late. Just how AHS gets around the Health Disciplines Act, is most curious. Then this Con Ed for AHS or contracted providers, here I thought that our regulatory body was responsible for that concept ?

I still have to report directly to my medical director, although we have adopted most of new AHS protocols (for continuity) but we have had forced to address the needs in industry. The guidelines I have developed for one company just may be more comprehensive and inclusive of all of the scope of practice. In my gut wagon I have bedside troponin, myoglobin, and a RAD 57. Sutures, antibiotics +++ (looking to improve my ophthomalogical knowledge base)that forshadowing for a new thread I am working on. I HAVE to thank OH+S for legislating Paramedic's in Industry, to deliver emergency health care by means of a private provider .... most interesting eh what ?

cheers

If i wasn't so stuck in my Medivac ways and finishing up medic I'd think about it :P but I'd be going on to Lethbridge first, St. Albert is a close 2nd. Know someone on practicum there now, likes the service and whenever i run into the St. Albert guys they seems like a good bunch.

And u gotta love the 3 man cars! :thumbsup:

Know someone on practicum there now, likes the service

Sounds like some positive movement.

Gotta love 3 man cars

Ya, but do they have collapsable personalized chairs for the hallway waits?

;)

Hey kevkei, long time - no post :)

So, I will be the one too clear the air on my post.

After speaking with a member from St. Albert it appears things were not as they were portrayed to me.

The events that were communicated to me were indeed done in "good fun". The student I was speaking of was in on the games, and was making and losing bets, which resulted in playful "punishments"

Having done a practicum at a fire dept, I can understand how a student gets wrapped up in the horseplay of the platoon, and it is easy to portray it as something more sinister unintentionally.

I apoligize for my original post, and have no reason to think St. Albert is any less respectful and professional than any other service.

Specific apology to KevKei for calling your service out on a public forum, when I obvioustly took stories as horror, when they were actually horseplay.

Sincerely

Mobey

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mobey,

Thanks for the response, that takes character and integrity and demonstrates positive professionalism.

I have no issues with people calling these things into question as it is better to air perceived 'dirty laundry' to clear the air. There is no one perfect place of employment, they all have issues in one form or another so I appreciate people having the opportunity to investigate things on their own.

It works better for people to come to their own conclusions based on facts, not heresy or word of mouth. The fact that you changed your opinion after looking into it is very respectable.

On a side note, it appears that a higher starting salary based on experience is on the table up to the first class rate ($36.64/hr).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.