Which Paramedic foundation textbook do you prefer?

Which foundation textbook do you find the best for Paramedic students, and why?

With a quick scan I found these:

• Mosby's Paramedic Textbook
  • Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond
  • Nancy Caroline's Emergency Care in the Streets, Sixth Edition
  • Nancy Caroline's Emergency Care in the Streets - UK Version
  • Sanders Paramedic Textbook - New UK 4th Edition
  • Do you know of any others?

Best regards, Carl

Each textbook is unique in it's own way. You must remember that there are differences in opinions based upon which author(s) feel is the best way to present information. Honestly, if you are to instruct classes for the Paramedic, always remember that the finished product must be able to understand and apply all aspect of cognitive, affective, and psychomotor objectives according to the latest national standards. It would be up to you to research each text and decide which you would feel best serves this purpose. Content must be able to be understandable, and many authors go way above the student's intellect. This is where you must, as an instructor, be able to explain to the student what the author is truely stating, even though it may be their own opinion.

You will probably have many differences of opinion on which is the best text. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I feel that Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond was a better text.

It integrated explanations in one part of the book well with those given in others.

While comparing books, I read the same equivalent sections (such as asthma) in 3 or 4 texts and tried to decide which would make a student feel more knowledgeable about asthma AND feel more confidence in going out and treating it.

I felt Paramedic Practice Today (the red book) better gave a good understanding. For example, some books would be vague on treatment of asthma. All the supportive treatment stuff, then mention bronchodilators and perhaps steroids. I believe the PPT book explained first line treatments (with examples) and in which cases one would move to secondary treatments (or perhaps mix meds initially). It went beyond just a conceptual understanding of pathophysiology....it also gave instructions on what to do about it!