Life Vest

Kyle2011

Hey proper grammar techniques are petty hard. Sure, I have poor grammar at times and my spelling sucks. But I do use spell check and I often proof read what I write. This isn't an English course where we should have to write with logical fallacies and keeping sentences parallel, but it can help.

I agree with what others are saying though. Puking words into a terribly written paragraph/sentence that seemingly has no start or end to it makes others not even other reading or taking the questions seriously.

Try harder, people will respect it and answer you accordingly.

And to answer your questions.. do a scene size up. You know, that thing you do on every call.

• Like 1

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/14798-wearable-defib-vest/page__p__210598__hl__zoll__fromsearch__1#entry210598

This is the thread related to the Life vest we discussed on here when they first came out, and I am sorry, in my reply in that thread, I have some spelling errors. The brain was in :closed: mode that point lol.

I had to do a double read of the OP's post just to break it down to see what it was that they were saying. I am sorry I do have to back Dwayne on this one, purely on the fact that as a profession, there is enough knocking at EMS being the backwards boomwop hospital truck riding hillbillies in the medical world. So in a public arena where information can be read and seen, just take that extra few minutes which will then turn into extra few seconds, to proof read and grammer check, as you will be using that in your courses for assignments, learn on here and in the class, apply and save in the real world.

Take care

Scotty :)

I think that often people assume that I bag on the spelling and grammar issues because I'm just so friggin' good at....Not the case. I bagged on someone's spelling once years ago and Eydawn chased me around these forums correcting every....friggin'......typo.......I swear to God it sucked! But, God bless her for allowing me to be less of an idiot today than I was yesterday.

Go back and read some of my early posts. Follow them and look at the beatings I took for being an ignorant tool. I was blessed that many here would not allow me to represent myself in that manner and though it hurt my feelings sometimes, I'm so grateful that I now make every attempt to present myself in a more intelligent, professional manner, though of course I often don't succeed.

So to our original poster. Superiority over you is not what a single person here is chasing. It's your career success that we're trying to shore up, not our egos.

You truly can't succeed with the impression that you make here, and you can not succeed by allowing yourself to believe that you are a victim of your bad presentation instead of the author of it. That is the message here.

You're ideas? Awesome! That is why you have a ton of really smart people in this thread, myself excluded, took time out of their days to counsel you. Don't be pissed. Don't run away. Reread your original post and decide if that is truly the way you want to be perceived. I don't believe it is.

Dwayne

Edited for typo. No significant changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

Ok well I am not going near the spelling and grammar thing.

I will answer some of the questions though as my uncle wore one for several weeks.

Yes you are correct. It is an external AED unit that is worn like a vest. It works very well actually. The one my uncle had actaully had the pads placed in the correct locations and the unit was self run. Basically grab the AED off your rig, attach the leads turn it on and wear it around. It does give off an audible warning, so bystandards coming to help don't look like Frankenstien's Bride.

No you can not get it wet, he had to remove it for showers and baths. Also HAD to make sure to wear a proper rain coat during rainy days!! Yes apparently thay are that hyrophobic. I believe there was a safety mechanism like a circuit breaker that would cut the unit if it got too moist.

Now as to effectiveness, thankfully it never went off on him so I don't have that first hand expereince. But from what I heard from the doctor it was as effective as any other AED on the market. It senses a shockable rhythm and does its thing.

They are usually only worn until a pacemaker or internal defib can be installed surgically. In my uncles case it was about 3 weeks before his surgery. He needed a pacemaker but his Doctor felt the surgery could be scheduled and not an emergency operation. So he was given the "vest" just in case somethng happened before surgery. Also if memory serves me correctly he was getting over an infection thus another reason to hold off the surgery.

These are not really "permanant" solutions. I guess they can be in certain instances but from what i have heard around and from what i have read they are a temporary thing. From the little instruction tag on his, was bright orange inside the vest, it stated that the plugs can be connected to EMS AED units directly. Basically I assumed that when we get there we undo the vest grab the lead plug and hook to our unit and run it that way. Now being I am not completly familiar with an LP12 I dont know if they have that provision thus I would assume in that case you would undo the lead, rip the pads off, and do your thing with the paddles.

Good question to ask because I think we will start to see more and more of these on patient's awaiting surgery and having an unfortunate incident before hand.

Edited by UGLyEMT
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.