Life Vest

Kyle2011

I dont know if anyone here as seen these or found any information about them, but the life vest in basically a AED. If you go into cardiac arrest and you have a shock-able rhythm it will shock you. (it gives off a warring for people around you) The problem i see is what happens if we go on a call and the patient has this on him (and its a cardiac arrest call) You arrive on seen and see the patient on the ground.(unknown reason for fall) you began you assessment of the patient and while you are doing this the life vest he has on starts to charge up and the voice box has been damaged in the fall, it shocks and you and your partner are touching the patient, so you both die. Or maybe they are in water and the voice box is damaged by the water so same thing happens again. What are your thoughts about this Life Vest.

Edited by Kyle2011

I wasn’t aware such technology was actually available. After doing a bit more reading on this product I’d be really cautious about using it. I briefly tried to find some research articles on it with limited success, I’d like to know what its success rate is in regards to successfully resuscitating a patient in sudden cardiac arrest. After I watched the youtube video there didn’t seem to be many electrodes on the patient. There just seems to be to many ‘what ifs’ running through my mind, what if the electrodes got wet, what if the machine failed, what if an electrode came lose ect… But without reading some solid data on its success, patient feedback or actually seeing a device I’ll remain open minded. I don’t think it should replace an ICD.

I really don’t have a direct answer for you Kyle, the website states the defibrillator unit is the size of a paperback book so I’m guessing it would be quiet visible upon approaching the patient and I guess you could easily turn it off and take over the resuscitation efforts with your equipment.

I dont know if anyone here as seen these or found any information about them, but the life vest in basically a AED. If you go into cardiac arrest and you have a shock-able rhythm it will shock you. (it gives off a warring for people around you) The problem i see is what happens if we go on a call and the patient has this on him (and its a cardiac arrest call) You arrive on seen and see the patient on the ground.(unknown reason for fall) you began you assessment of the patient and while you are doing this the life vest he has on starts to charge up and the voice box has been damaged in the fall, it shocks and you and your partner are touching the patient, so you both die. Or maybe they are in water and the voice box is damaged by the water so same thing happens again. What are your thoughts about this Life Vest.

God bless you Kyle, (Despite my religious beliefs) But what I believe is that you are too smart to write like a child and I'm not going to answer any more of your questions until you at least bother to reread them before posting.

From your questions I know you're smart, but you choose to just put forth whatever bullshit your fingers happen to land on. Type, run spell check, proof read, then post. If it's not worth your effort to do so? Then it's not worth my effort to reply.

Take care man.

Dwayne

• Like 1

God bless you Kyle, (Despite my religious beliefs) But what I believe is that you are too smart to write like a child and I'm not going to answer any more of your questions until you at least bother to reread them before posting.

From your questions I know you're smart, but you choose to just put forth whatever bullshit your fingers happen to land on. Type, run spell check, proof read, then post. If it's not worth your effort to do so? Then it's not worth my effort to reply.

Take care man.

Dwayne

Im sick of you telling me to fix my grammar and spelling, i do use spell check. Has it ever came to you that i might have a learning disability and no matter how hard i try to work on it i still get stuff wrong, do you know how much crap i have had to put up with from people like you. Its called neurofibromatoses (NF) next time you try to be a prick just think for one second something may be wrong here, you are the only person to point my mistake out other just went along with it and got what i was saying

• Like 1

Im sick of you telling me to fix my grammar and spelling, i do use spell check. Has it ever came to you that i might have a learning disability and no matter how hard i try to work on it i still get stuff wrong, do you know how much crap i have had to put up with from people like you. Its called neurofibromatoses (NF) next time you try to be a prick just think for one second something may be wrong here, you are the only person to point my mistake out other just went along with it and got what i was saying

Ok man, I'm calling bullshit on your self pity story. Spell check did not miss all of the errors in your post. And you know what? I don't care if you're sick of it or not, because you can't succeed with the way you present yourself now. Do you think that I have nothing better to do than bag on kids that can't spell like adults? I have a 14 year old autistic son that has non of the benefits that you do, so stop the bullshit whining. Succeed my young friend, or do what you've done so far and fail on your bullshit excuses. It makes no difference to me. I'll care for mine the same way I've tried to care for you.

Cry, whine, fail. It's not my issue brother. I've tried to make you one of the family. You have decided to fail as one of the losers. Not my fault. Good luck to you my friend. I'm not aware of anyone that has succeed with excuses in place of results.

Dwayne.

Edited to change excuse to excuses. No other changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

it shocks and you and your partner are touching the patient, so you both die.

I have a better question for you.

WOULD you die?

Would you even feel anything?

BTW Dwayne: You missed an "E" at the end of none above :whistle:

I looked up NF (never heard of that before) looks like a crappy disease, however, nothing I could find said anything about spelling or grammar difficulties.

I have arthritis. It actually causes me pain to spell out words and use complete sentences. I do it because I do not use my disabiliy as a crutch.

Edited by mobey

I have a better question for you.

WOULD you die?

Would you even feel anything?

BTW Dwayne: You missed an "E" at the end of none above :whistle:

I looked up NF (never heard of that before) looks like a crappy disease, however, nothing I could find said anything about spelling or grammar difficulties.

I have arthritis. It actually causes me pain to spell out words and use complete sentences. I do it because I do not use my disabiliy as a crutch.

I have a transplanted bulls ear, yeah it works great but the children run and scream but I can hear them from a long distance, (I work with a SAR group now) I have ACL tear but manage to limp the old gals can pass me in a foot race (I let them catch me, whoo hoo !) I have rotator cuff problem, this is a great excuse to get triplicate form narcotics and have learned to use my other hand. I have a pulmonary history, so mobey can you carry my kits for me ? I have had my foot crushed and can't run I now am forced to stand and fight (I like it better anyway) I have have numerous concussions and a fractured skull .. ummm what were we talking about ?

I also have an 18 y/o son who is ADD (as if 50% of boys are not) and for love nor money he can't capitalise or spell worth a shit, his Mother is a teacher (don't get me going) and did not want him to "stifle his creativity in writing" .. nothing I do will make any difference as in today's modern age "efficacy" or lazyness (you choose) in state of the art communications is the ultimate goal.

do I like it ? ... nope

What I do NOT LIKE is a Negative reputation point without a justification or a comment at least, that pisses me off or maybe I just don't like RED ?

cheers

I think you are asking good questions here, and I applaud you for wanting to know more. What I am going to do is encourage you to do some digging on your own. Think through the processes that occur. Think about some common sense here, if you were wearing a vest with electrical capabilities, would you go swimming with it? I highly doubt it. While I have been out of EMS for a few years now, I have never come across one of these devices, but I believe the technology is there. Talk to ER docs when you are on clinical rotations, do a google search and try and learn more.

On the note of grammar and spelling. I didn't want to say anything because I am lazy and don't typically pick out issues but I have seen numerous posts by you that are very difficult to comprehend because of your grammar and spelling. Part of EMS is documentation, legal documentation. Every patient record can be called up in a court case, where educated lawyers, judges, and court officials will be reading them. If you can not spell scene correctly, as I noted you spelled it seen in your original post, then these people are going to have a difficult time understanding you.

I understand 100% learning disabilities and physical disabilities. Typing this post out, my thumb has dislocated twice due to my genetic condition, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. That has not affected my ability to hit delete a few times and re-type out the words that I slipped up on. Learning disabilities, I had the 504 plans the IEP's, all the alphabet soup testing, and it came out I had learning disabilities, slower than average comprehension, and difficulty with short-term memory.

I believe you are getting very defensive as a coping mechanism for your struggles. Pretty common in my experience, but not necessary. When someone comments on your spelling, I suggest you learn from it, and in the future you attempt to not make the same mistakes again. People here want nothing more than to see you succeed in EMS and sometimes that comes off the wrong way. Try to brush it off, and learn from the people here.

Again, I applaud you for taking the initiative in your own learning process and asking these questions. Just understand where we are coming from when we see incomprehensible grammar. It will get you in trouble in the future with your documentation.

Best of luck to you,

Kate

I have a paper cut on my left middle finger. Unfortunately, I use my middle fingers to type, out of habit. I can type up to 90WPM, solely with my middle fingers. However, today, I'm just a little slow, due to the fact that I have this "superficial laceration" on my third digit. It's "painful", but I think with aggressive treatment by Snoopy and Garfield Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, I can overcome this day altering injury. I'm also having self diagnosed stress pains, that's what I call, likely non-cardiac chest pain. This is a side effect of my allergy to bull shit, which I suffered quite a reaction from at 0300. At the same time, I also suffered from wind burn, which ironically, covers up the fact that my cheeks are bright red from hypertension, also a side effect to the before-said allergy to bull shit.

Wait, what were we talking about?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.