To tube or not to tube

Doczilla

<snip> She was admitted by PCC to the ICU. He made her a full code, and his documentation stated that he "was not satisfied with the documentation of her wishes regarding code status". The husband was apparently pretty unhappy about it, according to the chart. The patient fully recovered, and met with Integrative Care Management. In a well-documented conversation, the patient said she would not want to ever be intubated under any circumstances, and it appears the husband was correct. A DNR-CC form was executed, and the patient discharged home.

I believe I have worked with that very same intensivist, why they do what they do, some days defies rational thought.

One must wonder if one does have any control over their own life .

Agreed with chbare, yes its easy to say but I would have supported you Doczilla.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

I believe I have worked with that very same intensivist, why they do what they do, some days defies rational thought.

One must wonder if one does have any control over their own life .

Agreed with chbare, yes its easy to say but I would have supported you ERDoc.

cheers

I think this is a matter of CYA. Nobody likes to be the one left hanging in the breeze for making a judgment call, but as you note, what does someone need to do to ensure their final wishes are respected? I wonder on what grounds this person thought the wishes were not properly documented? If you parse hard enough, I'm sure anyone could dissect a DNR or other Advanced Directive to bring some doubt into the mix. Sounds to me like someone got lawyered up and is making sure the hospital does not incur any liability here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.